termit

DV winner's I485 rejected: "The check amount is incorrect or has not been provided"

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello,

I moved to the US in Oct 2008 on H1B with my family (wife and 2 children on H4) and in Oct 2009 won diversity visa lottery.

I applied for AOS (I485) and EAD (I765) for myself and my family and sent the following forms (along with all supporting documents) to Chickago Lockbox 06/06/2010 with the following fees (personal checks made payable to "U.S Department of Homeland Security"):

* Myself, 40 years of age, I-485 and I-765, included personal check for $1010.

* My daughter of 7 years of age, no separate I-485, included into my I-485 (checked box "Applying with you - Yes" against her info in 3.B in my I-485), though submitted separate I-765 for her (read on some forum, that if I do not submit I-765 for her, she will not be eligible for SSN), included personal check for $600.

* My daughter of 16 years of age, I-485 and I-765, included personal check for $1010.

* My wife, 38 years of age, I-485 and I-765, included personal check for $1010.

I received an envelope from Chicago Lockbox to our address (and to the name of my 7 years daughter) with Rejection Notices I-797C for all the applications we submitted.

All applications and personal checks were also returned in the envelope.

Information from I-797C:

* Receipt #: MSC-...215, case type: I-765, Applicant: [7 years old daughter], Reason: "The check amount is incorrect or has not been provided. The correct filing fee is $340 ..."

* Receipt #: MSC-...216, case type: I-485, Applicant: [16 years old daughter], Reason: "The check amount is incorrect or has not been provided. The correct filing fee is $930 ... $80 fingerprint fee ..."

* Receipt #: MSC-...217, case type: I-765, Applicant: [16 years old daughter], Reason: "The check amount is incorrect or has not been provided. The correct filing fee is $340 ..."

* Receipt #: MSC-...218, case type: I-485, Applicant: [my wife], Reason: "The check amount is incorrect or has not been provided. The correct filing fee is $930 ... $80 fingerprint fee ..."

* Receipt #: MSC-...219, case type: I-765, Applicant: [my wife], Reason: "The check amount is incorrect or has not been provided. The correct filing fee is $340 ..."

* Receipt #: MSC-...220, case type: I-485, Applicant: [myself], Reason: "The check amount is incorrect or has not been provided. The correct filing fee is $930 ... $80 fingerprint fee ..."

* Receipt #: MSC-...221, case type: I-765, Applicant: [myself], Reason: "The check amount is incorrect or has not been provided. The correct filing fee is $340 ..."

I could not understand what was incorrect in the personal checks (they were written according to recommendations on www.uscis.gov, "Forms" --> "Paying Immigration Fees", link ).

Here is an image of 2 of the checks with sensitive information removed from the image.

Called USCIS Customer Services at 1.800.375.5283, was advised to sent an inquire to lockboxsupport@dhs.gov. Sent one 3 days ago, have not receive response yet.

Reviewed information on all forms (for any typos in names, birth dates, etc), everything seemed correct.

The only possible reasons of rejection I saw were:

1. The checks were made payable to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security", when returned they had a stamp with text "U.S. Department of Homeland Security Citizenship and Immigration Services"

over the text "U.S. Department of Homeland Security" written by me in inc. May it mean that payee name "U.S. Department of Homeland Security" was not accepted as a correct payee name and I should have written "U.S. Department of Homeland Security Citizenship and Immigration Services" instead?

2. May it be that I765 for my 7 year old daughter should have been filed with a $340 fee as she didn't have separate I-485 but was included into my I485?

I have not found explicit clarification in instructions for I485 and I765 if fee is required for I765 for a child under 14 years of age applying in I485 of one of the parents.

I will really appreciate any comments/suggestion regarding my case.

Kentucky Consular Center is in charge of DV lottery and you may want to contact them - contact info should be on your correspondence you received.

Or, an Infopass could help as well.

Got the info: phone number is: 606-526-7500

email is: KCCDV@state.gov

Make sure you have your case number and info on primary applicant ready as that is required.

Edited by milimelo

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Forgot to add - your letter from Kentucky should have all info. For AOS, you first have to send it to USCIS and once that is accepted, you also have to pay the DV lottery fee for each person. Take a look here - has all contents of the 1st envelope sent to a DV lottery winner.

http://www.zelenalutrija.com/prva-koverta/prva_koverta.pdf

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

Hi milimelo,

Thank you for the information and contacts.

KCC sent DV "Notification Letter" to me with contents different from what they sent to you ( first letter at this link ).

Their DV "Notification Letter" instructed me to go to the "Instructions for Selectees" page and get all the instructions there.

From that page I went to the "Adjustment of Status in the United States" page (as I'm already in the US) and from that page to the USCIS web site page "Green Card Through the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program" which instructed to submit I-485 and all supporting documents to Chickago Lockbox.

So I didn't contact KCC at all and recently got second letter from them ( second letter at this link ) informing that they finished processing of my case and I should deal with USCIS only.

I have already paid the DV lottery fees.

Following your advice I have scheduled an interview with a local USCIS office next week. I have corrected the checks with the payee name exactly as they stamped out my old checks ("U.S. Department of Homeland Security Citizenship and Immigration Services") and completed a separate I-485 for my 7-yrs-old daughter at the same time indicating her to be applying with me in my I-485 form. Will show all the document at the appointment and if they look OK, will submit them second time to Chicago Lockbox.

Thank you for your help.

Hi milimelo,

Thank you for the information and contacts.

KCC sent DV "Notification Letter" to me with contents different from what they sent to you ( first letter at this link ).

Their DV "Notification Letter" instructed me to go to the "Instructions for Selectees" page and get all the instructions there.

From that page I went to the "Adjustment of Status in the United States" page (as I'm already in the US) and from that page to the USCIS web site page "Green Card Through the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program" which instructed to submit I-485 and all supporting documents to Chickago Lockbox.

So I didn't contact KCC at all and recently got second letter from them ( second letter at this link ) informing that they finished processing of my case and I should deal with USCIS only.

I have already paid the DV lottery fees.

Following your advice I have scheduled an interview with a local USCIS office next week. I have corrected the checks with the payee name exactly as they stamped out my old checks ("U.S. Department of Homeland Security Citizenship and Immigration Services") and completed a separate I-485 for my 7-yrs-old daughter at the same time indicating her to be applying with me in my I-485 form. Will show all the document at the appointment and if they look OK, will submit them second time to Chicago Lockbox.

Thank you for your help.

Yes, your best bet is the INFOPASS appt. I'm not a DV winner, but ran into that information recently and thought it would be of use sometime.

Good luck in your AOS!

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

* My daughter of 7 years of age, no separate I-485, included into my I-485 (checked box "Applying with you - Yes" against her info in 3.B in my I-485), though submitted separate I-765 for her (read on some forum, that if I do not submit I-765 for her, she will not be eligible for SSN), included personal check for $600.

needs separate I-485, even though applying with you AT THE SAME TIME to qualify for the $600 fee... still needs an I-485 included in the envelope with yours

YMMV

Timeline

needs separate I-485, even though applying with you AT THE SAME TIME to qualify for the $600 fee... still needs an I-485 included in the envelope with yours

Hi payxibka, thank you for your advice. Yes most likely this was the reason why our applications were rejected. This question "Applying with you" a little bit confusing and is not clarified in any instruction. I answered NO for all other relatives even though their I-485 were with my I-485 in the same envelope. It made me think that this question has nothing to do with presence of I-485 in the same or separate envelope but is related to existence of a separate I-485. And if I want to answer YES (to be eligible for fee $600), I should not provide separate I-485 for a child.

Looks like the real rule for this "Applying with you" question sounds something like that "For children under 14 years of age, whose I-485 you will be sending in the same envelope with your I-485 and you would like to have a discounted fee $600 for each of them instead of regular $930, answer YES. Otherwise answer NO.". I wish I knew that rule before I sent the rejected documents...

Thank you for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi Terry Martin, this is my story: I visited my local USCIS office and the officer looked into notification letter from KCC (which I received in April 2010) and said there was a typo there stating that USCIS fiscal year 2011 began 10/01/2009 (marked by red here), which actually starts 10/01/2010.

So he said as my lottery was DV2011 and I wanted to apply for the visa in the U.S. (rather then abroad) then I could not anything before FY 2011 starts so I should come on or after 10/01/2010 to their office and would be given instructions what to do.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

Hi Terry Martin, this is my story: I visited my local USCIS office and the officer looked into notification letter from KCC (which I received in April 2010) and said there was a typo there stating that USCIS fiscal year 2011 began 10/01/2009 (marked by red here), which actually starts 10/01/2010.

So he said as my lottery was DV2011 and I wanted to apply for the visa in the U.S. (rather then abroad) then I could not anything before FY 2011 starts so I should come on or after 10/01/2010 to their office and would be given instructions what to do.

termit,

i am new to this forum but have extensive experience in another popular forum ... also on the same subject - dv's.

since you mentioned that you are a 2011 winner - naturally they rejected your application for submitting too early.

also each member of the family must have an i485 submitted.

there have been also a lot of discussions into when one shd submit their i485. 90/60/50 days?? the repercussion of submitting too early is that you will get rejected. the safest guideline is when you see your cn current in the advance notification section of the vb. also there were uscis reject letters that mentioned an applicant should submit within 60 days timeframe. there are lawyers that say submit in 90 days ... even some that say submit starting oct 1. take the safe route if you have a low cn.

good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.