Rhiannercakes

Will I Ever Get A Break?

21 posts in this topic

INS has screwed me over. Again.

I was at the DMV to get my permit, it was my 3rd appointment in which I finally got the right ID to actually get my permit.

Of course, everyone was totally interested in my green card, so they took their time looking at it.

She goes and puts my A# in, my maiden name pops up.

She goes and talks to some people, talks to me again and said they have to call INS to see what's up. I go and sit down.

About 10 minutes later I get called back up and told I have to go see someone at INS to get the name associated with my A# changed. They FORGOT to change it to my married name!

So here I am, permit less and booking another appointment, my 4th one. And an infopass appointment.

When will this end? :crying:

Edited by Rhiannercakes

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

AWW... I'm sorry Rhianne... that sucks HUGE. You will get a break, I promise. Want some chocolate? I have milk and dark over here. :)

Is this your full license or your learners' permit?

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Learner's permit I'm trying to get.

Mmm... chocolate.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Timeline

How about a kit-kat break!!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow I can't believe they are giving you that much of a problem to get a learners permit. We didn't even show them my boys green card for them to get their learners permit. All they wanted was a birth certificate and of course that was Canadian and we showed that they are home schooled, or they would of wanted a school record of some sort.

Hopefully things get better for yo soon.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm really sorry you're having such a hard time Rhiann! I feel your pain, I just tried to get my Social Security number and learned that my name was spelt incorrectly so it's a four week wait to get someone to change it (worst data entry people EVAR!). I hope the Infopass appointment brings some resolution for you!

AOS/AP/EAD Timeline

Package sent to Chicago Lockbox: 06/16/2010

Chicago Lockbox received: 06/18/2010

Received e-mail notification from Chicago Lockbox: 06/24/2010

Hard copy NOA1 received: 06/28/2010

Touch!: 06/28/2010

Received biometrics letter in the mail: 07/16/2010

Attempted walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- DENIED: 07/16/2010

2nd attempt at walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- SUCCESS!: 07/28/2010

EAD card production ordered!: 08/09/2010

AP approved!: 08/09/2010

2nd EAD card production ordered e-mail: 08/12/2010

AP arrived!: 08/16/2010

3rd EAD card production ordered e-mail: 08/16/2010

EAD arrived!: 08/19/2010

Received interview letter in the mail: 09/13/2010

Green card interview -- APPROVED!: 10/15/2010

Green card received: 10/25/2010

The whole AOS process took almost exactly 4 months ... not too shabby!

Yeah, I have an infopass for the 8th, and I'm not leaving till they fix it.

I'm just tired of them controlling stuff I suppose...

Timeline

Hey Rhiann! The exact same thing happened to me. I went to apply for my CO state DL with my EAD, and they tried to look me up in their database and I only existed in my maiden name. They sent me in for manual verification and 10 weeks later they came back and told me they couldn't verify my identity! Then, I went for my AOS interview and asked the IO at my interview if he could do something about the name discrepancy, and he said he would note the system to have it changed. After I got my GC in the mail, I went back to the DMV and I still was in the system in only my maiden name. After all that I made an infopass appointment and they changed my name on the spot in about 2 seconds. I went to the DMV a week later and they issued me a license. What an ordeal that was!

Here's the thread if you're interested in reading all the "fun": More name issues

I was told at my infopass appointment that this is an extremely common thing, even though I haven't heard of it happening on VJ very many times. The good news is that they should be able to change your name at the appointment, on the spot, and it is suposed to show up in the system immediately.

Thank you SO much Huggles!

You have no clue how much this has helped.

And thanks to everyone else for the chocolate and replies :lol:

Timeline

You've very welcome! When It happened to me I had a series of major freak outs and I couldn't find anyone who had experienced it! Unfortunately I had a really stupid DMV woman the first time, and I shouldn't have had to go through that 10 week verification process. Instead of having my license in a couple weeks with a quick visit to USCIS, I waited over 11 weeks.

But yes, like you said, don't leave the infopass until someone agrees to help you! They can change your name very fast and very easily. The man who did mine completed the change before I was done explaining to him everything that happened! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't get the government.

I go to my infopass and thankfully only have to wait 5 minutes to get called up.

Told me they -could not- fix this. The DMV has to call them about the problem, wait for something from the USCIS saying the info's correct and... then yeah.

The guy just would not budge on all of this, so I walked out angry. Again.

Why can't the government be consistent...

Timeline

When talking to Gov't people--try and get names and phone #'s, that tends to work at times!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

awwwww sorry to hear about all this Rhianne....I hope you get it all settled soon...

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Timeline

I really don't get the government.

I go to my infopass and thankfully only have to wait 5 minutes to get called up.

Told me they -could not- fix this. The DMV has to call them about the problem, wait for something from the USCIS saying the info's correct and... then yeah.

The guy just would not budge on all of this, so I walked out angry. Again.

Why can't the government be consistent...

Ugh, how annoying!!

In my case, the the DMV sent me through to be manually verified in the SAVE system. I'm not really sure what kind of steps they go through to do this and who they contact, but it took them 10 weeks to get back to me. When they couldn't verify my identity, they sent me a letter saying I need to have USCIS amend my name. So I took the letter to my infopass appointment and they made the switch. So perhaps having a letter made the difference in my case? I guess the best (or only) thing to do would be to go back to the DMV and see if they can contact USCIS or at least put something in writing saying what the issue is.

I know from experience how frustrating it is to go down to the DMV, wait in line, and then have someone tell you they can't help. It's not only frustrating, it's also slightly embarrassing, like you're an illegal who is trying to cheat the system and get ID. They really do make you feel that way!

I don't understand why they couldn't change the name at your infopass appointment when it's clearly wrong. It's not like you asked them to change your name to Jane Smith or something random. If it wasn't an issue with the DMV, It would have come up somewhere else down the road, at some point. Good to know they can't fix their own mistakes!

Sorry you're having problems Rhiann! :(

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.