Hugglebuggles

More name issues

40 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Ok, this is the last time I'm going to revive this thread! I promise! :lol:

So, I went to one of Colorado's S.A.V.E centers today. I decided not to go to the big one in the Denver metro because its always so busy, and instead went about 2 hours south to small town Pueblo, CO. My husband works there every Wednesday so it made sense to tag along. The lady at the counter took all of my information and then proceeded to tell me I didn't exist in her computer. That was really reassuring! Then she admitted she didn't know what she was doing and got her supervisor to run my information. After about 15 minutes they called me back up to the window and said they cleared me, on the spot, no waiting required this time!

So, long story short, I got my CO state license today :) And believe it or not, it took longer than my entire AOS journey :lol: But I have it now and its valid until 2015! So good riddance DMV.

Oh! so glad to see they finally sorted it out! :)

What an ordeal.

Thanks for the info... I'll have a heads up if the DMV in Colorado gives me the same issues!

AoS Process

AoS/EAD/AP file sent: 2011-02-16

Received: 2011-02-17

NOA: 2011-02-22

Touched: 2011-02-24

Hard copy NOAs received : 2011-02-28

Biometrics letter received: 2011-02-28

Biometrics appt: 2011-03-17

EAD & AP approved: 2011-04-28

AOS appt: 2011-05-12 (notice sent April 6) APPROVED :)

event.png

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
did you change your name to your married name after you got your OK to move to USA

cause i was told to keep my maiden name as that is what my passport has then change my name once i get to USA

any thoughts on this

is this the normal procedure

cause wont my greencard and ssn be in my maiden name

HELP????

Huggles came in on a K1 visa meaning she got married after she moved to the US...

I changed my name before I moved to the US but back then you could jsut get your new last name added to your passport.. now you need to get a whole new passport with the new name...

the name on the visa will be the one that is in your passport... and the Greencard and the SSN will be in that name too..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Oh! so glad to see they finally sorted it out! :)

What an ordeal.

Thanks for the info... I'll have a heads up if the DMV in Colorado gives me the same issues!

Hopefully you don't have problems like I did! But if you do, I'm armed with information now! :lol:

And, just to add, I only had an Ontario G2 license and they transferred it to a full state license. Not even a written test was required.

Filed: Timeline
The lady at the counter took all of my information and then proceeded to tell me I didn't exist in her computer. That was really reassuring! Then she admitted she didn't know what she was doing and got her supervisor to run my information.

:lol:

Congratulations, Huggles! So glad that's finally over with. :lol:

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hopefully you don't have problems like I did! But if you do, I'm armed with information now! :lol:

And, just to add, I only had an Ontario G2 license and they transferred it to a full state license. Not even a written test was required.

Oh good! I was wondering about that...

I did the exam 15+ years ago, and I was thinking how embarrassing it would be if they made me take an exam again and I failed!! :blink:

AoS Process

AoS/EAD/AP file sent: 2011-02-16

Received: 2011-02-17

NOA: 2011-02-22

Touched: 2011-02-24

Hard copy NOAs received : 2011-02-28

Biometrics letter received: 2011-02-28

Biometrics appt: 2011-03-17

EAD & AP approved: 2011-04-28

AOS appt: 2011-05-12 (notice sent April 6) APPROVED :)

event.png

Timeline
:lol:

Congratulations, Huggles! So glad that's finally over with. :lol:

No kidding eh?! I'm actually happier to be done with the DMV for 5 years than I am to be done with USCIS for 2 years. How sad is that? :lol:

Oh good! I was wondering about that...

I did the exam 15+ years ago, and I was thinking how embarrassing it would be if they made me take an exam again and I failed!! :blink:

Just a little eh? I was concerned they would make me do a road test, or at least a written test, because I only had a G2. But apparently they treat Canadian license transfers just like out of state transfers, which is really nice. Just make sure you bring $21.00 down to the DMV! They only take cheque or cash and I didn't even think about it. I had to send Bill out to find an ATM :lol:

Woo hoo! Congrats huggles! Now you are completely legal!

LoL!

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Filed: Other Timeline
Ok, this is the last time I'm going to revive this thread! I promise! :lol:

So, I went to one of Colorado's S.A.V.E centers today. I decided not to go to the big one in the Denver metro because its always so busy, and instead went about 2 hours south to small town Pueblo, CO. My husband works there every Wednesday so it made sense to tag along. The lady at the counter took all of my information and then proceeded to tell me I didn't exist in her computer. That was really reassuring! Then she admitted she didn't know what she was doing and got her supervisor to run my information. After about 15 minutes they called me back up to the window and said they cleared me, on the spot, no waiting required this time!

So, long story short, I got my CO state license today :) And believe it or not, it took longer than my entire AOS journey :lol: But I have it now and its valid until 2015! So good riddance DMV.

Hugglebuggles-Congrats about getting your US driver's license too!... :dance:

Wow, after all that trouble that they put you through....glad that it ended up well....

Likewise, my DMV journey was similar to yours too....15 minutes for an exchange, it was longer than my AOS journey (as I had problems with getting an SSN due to immigration status verification and thus that delayed the DMV), no testing, and valid for 4 years (lol..and my green card was only valid for 2 years...weird...), and likewise I transferred a G2 ON license to an unrestricted NYS full license too....

On the bright side...no more DMV for you for awhile....and in the meantime...I hope you have better dealings with them later on...

Good luck and Congrats. Happy driving! Drive safe!

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

Thanks minnie and Ant! :)

I thought it was weird they would give me a 5 year license when my GC is only valid for 2 years too. They told me Colorado is one of the hardest states to get a license, but apparently its one of the easiest states to live in out of status without detection :P But I won't complain!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.