Jump to content

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Timeline

Ok so Im so confused.. My husband is American.. and living in Australia.. we are going to move back to the USA in the next 6 months.. Ive never had a visa to live in the USA .. so what type do I do?? Is there a problem to do this if he has been living in Australia for the last 4 years plus? Do I get a work authorisation straight away? Ive read the visa website and still are none the wiser as to the process.. It was easy as hell to have him apply for the visa to move over here to Australia.. but doesnt seem the same process to move back for me.. am I just reading it wrong or what?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland

If you want to move back in 6 months, you should definitely start the process for your US spousal visa now. You will be applying for a CR-1 if married less than 2 years (leading to 2 year greencard upon entry, and must remove conditions after 2 years), or IR-1 if married more than 2 years (leading to 10 year greencard upon entry, can apply directly for citizenship after 3 years). Assuming your husband lives in Australia legally, you can get the visa directly from the US embassy in Syndey, and the process will be fairly quick, much quicker than applying in the USA, where the process usually takes 6-8 months. Have a look at the Guides above for a timeline and what forms you will need, and also check out the DCF forum, where there are several Australians who have gone and are going through the process:


Edited by Penguin_ie

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


I am not sure, but i think you are allow to use DFC path in australia. According to Vj comparator this is the fastes path to bring a family as a LPR. VJ - compare

of course if you fullfil the consulatte offices requirment so you better start asking for information in an Australian consular office. As you can see in this link, in Australia you can use DFC path.

VJ, Sidney Australia[/url

An again, is always better if you try to contact the consular office and talk to those guys to see Which are your options. then you can decide to Start the DFC or CR-1/ IR-1 path.

hope it can help you

Edited by inloveVEN

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to get a CR1/IR1 visa through DCF at the US embassy in Australia.

Obtaining an immigrant visa at a foreign embassy is called Direct Consular Filing (DCF) here at visajourney.

I recommend you to read the embassy website thoroughly.

They provide precise information regarding their DCF process.

Good luck!

Embassy of the United States - Australia


Immigration Process (DCF Japan)

08/06/2008 I-130 petition at Tokyo, Japan

08/13/2008 I-130 approved


| Waited until we were ready to move back


07/13/2009 IV interview at Tokyo, Japan

07/15/2009 IV(IR-1) in hand


07/29/2009 POE at Las Vegas

08/17/2009 GC(10yrs) received

Click here for the detailed timeline.

Done with USCIS until

- naturalization in May 2012 or

- GC replacement in February 2019


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...