Adam_1988

UK > USA - Looking to Move

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There are always other types of Visas I can come in on.

After a certain amount of time there you MUST be able to apply for General jobs? Like Admin, Store Worker etc..

Of course! That is if you hold the proper visa to acquire such a job. No employer will hire you without work authorization. This is typically acquired overseas after an interview process. Plus unskilled work - in this economy, is being filled by people with professional degrees

Please begin reading up on work visas. It is not as easy as you seem to think that it is.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

Of course! That is if you hold the proper visa to acquire such a job. No employer will hire you without work authorization. This is typically acquired overseas after an interview process. Plus unskilled work - in this economy, is being filled by people with professional degrees

Please begin reading up on work visas. It is not as easy as you seem to think that it is.

I would never expect finding work in the USA is easy, it's still hard over here, we have University students working in general Customer Service roles, so I would expect the USA to be the same way, and even harder if you are from another country!

I'll read the whole hog on Work Visas tomorrow.

The work visa is pretty hard to get in this economy because as others have said, the company that sponsors you has to prove that no other American can do the job. Even the nursing market is almost closed off because of this economy whereas before they were plentiful...

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Same with teaching...

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

Same with teaching...

Well, it is still worth trying to get one, I'm not one to give in so easily.

But for now I'm sure me and her will be happy to get me over there on a Tourist Visa for a few months or even VWPs for 90 days.

You have a lot of reading to do Adam. And sadly, unless you can find an avenue open to you that I couldn't find, you will not be able to work in the US without saying "I do"

I, like you right now, couldn't believe that there was no avenue open for me to live with my boyfriend in the USA and work. After all....Australia is one of the hardest places to actually immigrate to, and they give year working visa's away!

Not that simple. The visa process differs greatly from country to country. If you do not have an in demand profession, special skill or a huge amount of money to invest in American business, then the VWP (or tourist visa) will continue to be your only avenues to stay in the US for a short period of time. Neither of which you can work on. And no, there are no exceptions....shop work, admin....whatever you can think of. NO WORKING AT ALL.

In the end, we decided (after several more visits) that we couldn't live without one another, and if the only way for us to be together was to get married.....so be it. (Glad I did! Except for right this second, he wont stop talking at me whilst I write this! Grrr....BOYS!)

You need to prepare yourself. If you do decide you want to get married then it isn't as simple as showing up at the border, declaring your intention to marry a citizen and get her pregnant. You have a long process to go through (we filed in November 2008 and my visa was issued in june 2009....I have a clean record, good education, no problems with exit and entry and my visa forms were PERFECT)

Good luck and best wishes to you and the girlfriend.....whichever avenue you choose. If you do decide to go through with the K1 or CR1...read the guides at the top and utilise VJ as much as you can.

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiance and I spent about 2 years visiting each other back and forth...he would come to US for 3 months, I would come to UK for a few weeks. It's not ideal, and you'll miss your SO like crazy...but it at least gives you some time before you make a decision about getting married :)

It does seem like it should be easier, especially with two countries that are so similar and on basically equal economic standing (not like people from a poorer country trying to find anyway to get in and live off benefits :blink:) but unfortunately there is a lot of red tape, and it is even more difficult if you are not ready to get married.

Have you already been to university? You could try for a student visa! You would be able to work at the university if you went that route.

2005 Meet online

2008 Meet in person (with lots of visits to follow!)

December 21, 2009 Mail I-129F to CSC

December 28, 2009 NOA1

January 22, 2010 Official proposal ;)

February 24, 2010 NOA2 e-mail received. Yay, we're approved!

March 3, 2010 NOA2 hard copy received

March 6, 2010 NVC received

March 18, 2010 Packet 3 received

March 18, 2010 Packet 3 sent

April 22, 2010 Medical

April 23, 2010 Packet 4 received

June 3, 2010 Interview APPROVED!!!

September 4, 2010 Wedding in USA

Timeline

You have a lot of reading to do Adam. And sadly, unless you can find an avenue open to you that I couldn't find, you will not be able to work in the US without saying "I do"

I, like you right now, couldn't believe that there was no avenue open for me to live with my boyfriend in the USA and work. After all....Australia is one of the hardest places to actually immigrate to, and they give year working visa's away!

Not that simple. The visa process differs greatly from country to country. If you do not have an in demand profession, special skill or a huge amount of money to invest in American business, then the VWP (or tourist visa) will continue to be your only avenues to stay in the US for a short period of time. Neither of which you can work on. And no, there are no exceptions....shop work, admin....whatever you can think of. NO WORKING AT ALL.

In the end, we decided (after several more visits) that we couldn't live without one another, and if the only way for us to be together was to get married.....so be it. (Glad I did! Except for right this second, he wont stop talking at me whilst I write this! Grrr....BOYS!)

You need to prepare yourself. If you do decide you want to get married then it isn't as simple as showing up at the border, declaring your intention to marry a citizen and get her pregnant. You have a long process to go through (we filed in November 2008 and my visa was issued in june 2009....I have a clean record, good education, no problems with exit and entry and my visa forms were PERFECT)

Good luck and best wishes to you and the girlfriend.....whichever avenue you choose. If you do decide to go through with the K1 or CR1...read the guides at the top and utilise VJ as much as you can.

Thankyou for that!

I think our intention is to possibly get married one day, but we will have to see when we talk about it in depth more!

I'll make sure I can get her to read this whole topic and maybe me and her can discuss things with each other!

Timeline

My fiance and I spent about 2 years visiting each other back and forth...he would come to US for 3 months, I would come to UK for a few weeks. It's not ideal, and you'll miss your SO like crazy...but it at least gives you some time before you make a decision about getting married :)

It does seem like it should be easier, especially with two countries that are so similar and on basically equal economic standing (not like people from a poorer country trying to find anyway to get in and live off benefits :blink:) but unfortunately there is a lot of red tape, and it is even more difficult if you are not ready to get married.

Have you already been to university? You could try for a student visa! You would be able to work at the university if you went that route.

No I have not been to University yet! I don't know if I even planned on going!

And you're right, I do miss her all the time! 3 months would be ideal to start off with, I'd like to see how we would handle that amount of time together!

I think firstly I will do either the VWP 90 days or the Tourist Visa, depends what me and her can agree on!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi, my fiance is British and when we were in the 'just dating stage' he was gonna apply for the tourist Visa the London Embassy told him, he would never get approved only less than three precent get approved. They said it also had negative effects of him applying for any other type of visa even just coming to see me... It was enough to put us off... Good Luck I hope you find a solution, I know it is rough when it is in the begining stages!!!

Lexi and Nick

OUR TIMELINE:

Met in June 2009 a silly little comment, that changed our lives forever...

I-129F sent: April 19, 2010

APPROVED October 27, 2010

MARRIED NOVEMBER 20, 2010!!!

AOS: Sent March 2nd

Recieved March 3rd

NOA1 March 8th!!! via txt

Timeline

Hi, my fiance is British and when we were in the 'just dating stage' he was gonna apply for the tourist Visa the London Embassy told him, he would never get approved only less than three precent get approved. They said it also had negative effects of him applying for any other type of visa even just coming to see me... It was enough to put us off... Good Luck I hope you find a solution, I know it is rough when it is in the begining stages!!!

Lexi and Nick

Well I would try for the Tourist Visa anyway or get more advice on it from the Embassy before I shoot the idea down.

But even if that fails, VWPs are awesome back-ups.

Filed: Timeline

See..

1. There would be 100% denial of visitor visa IF you state to them that you are going there for visiting/meeting your girlfriend ( I experienced that twice).

2. You need to show your income tax return documents of you and your parents too I think.

3. Your might get a visitor visa for maximum 10 years( one time stay would not be more then 6 months) with multiple entry but still it would depend on Immi officer at the port of entry that how long you are allowed to stay.It might be only for few week to maximum 90 weeks but you can get your stay period increased by requesting them.( Totally depends upon their choice).

4. After observing all of your questions it seems that visitor visa will suite for you.

Good Luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I can see this ending in tears, especially if you follow some of the advice on this thread.

Always difficult to guess chances of a visa issue, 3% does not sound that unreasonable.

With a refused visa on your record you will have the pleasure of a pretty much guaranteed trip to secondary on entries and being quizzed. Combining that with all your other factors is not a good idea.

If you are seriously contemplating moving to the US and you have no qualifications, further education seems a good compromise.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I agree with Boiler. I'll bet any tourist visa interview would be fairly short:

CO: Why do you require a tourist visa rather than using the visa waiver program?

Adam: I want to visit my girlfriend for 6 months.

CO: I'm going to deny your visa and flag you in our system for suspicion that your intent is to marry this girl and stay in the US. Have a nice day!

Obviously, you don't have a job (not one worth keeping, I guess) if you are planning 6 month trips, I'm going to guess that at 21 you don't own a house or anything, No kids who you would want to come back to? And unless your parents are very ill and you're their care giver, having family in the UK isn't really a proof of ties against your girlfriend (who they will assume you intend to marry and adjust status with).

They start out with the presumption that you will stay, and you have to provide proof to the contrary, and what we are telling you is that you DON'T HAVE IT.

Also, I found this graphic somewhat humorous when we were going through the process, it sums up this thread rather well, and although cartoon, it is basically true. Note that the you are the parent of a US citizen, they have to be 18 (or 21?) YEARS old - not weeks. :P Also, for work visas, note the word "skilled". And later on - do you have a degree (at minimum).

http://reason.org/files/a87d1550853898a9b306ef458f116079.pdf

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline

I agree with Boiler. I'll bet any tourist visa interview would be fairly short:

CO: Why do you require a tourist visa rather than using the visa waiver program?

Adam: I want to visit my girlfriend for 6 months.

CO: I'm going to deny your visa and flag you in our system for suspicion that your intent is to marry this girl and stay in the US. Have a nice day!

Obviously, you don't have a job (not one worth keeping, I guess) if you are planning 6 month trips, I'm going to guess that at 21 you don't own a house or anything, No kids who you would want to come back to? And unless your parents are very ill and you're their care giver, having family in the UK isn't really a proof of ties against your girlfriend (who they will assume you intend to marry and adjust status with).

They start out with the presumption that you will stay, and you have to provide proof to the contrary, and what we are telling you is that you DON'T HAVE IT.

Also, I found this graphic somewhat humorous when we were going through the process, it sums up this thread rather well, and although cartoon, it is basically true. Note that the you are the parent of a US citizen, they have to be 18 (or 21?) YEARS old - not weeks. :P Also, for work visas, note the word "skilled". And later on - do you have a degree (at minimum).

http://reason.org/files/a87d1550853898a9b306ef458f116079.pdf

I think what I/we plan to do is have me going over there on VWPs now until we sort something more long-term out (if we both decide we want that). Please don't assume that because I am 'only' 21 that I'm not serious about her because I am, although I can see it from an immigration officers point of view, where they might think I'm just trying to get into the US to marry her and stay.

VWP seems the best option at the moment, and I think I'm going in October for 3 weeks which should be a blast.

Thankyou everyone for your help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.