Shonenknife

Where Exactly is my Marriage Recognized?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

Hey, my wife and I got married in Fujisawa, Japan in 2005. Through the visa process, we've used the translated marriage certificate from Fujisawa as our "proof of marriage." We never got married in the US (legally nor ceremonial). We are thinking about getting a divorce, and she wants to go back to Japan. We are wondering where we need to go to accomplish the legal steps of the actual divorce.

So my question is, where are we married? When she immigrated, we lived in Virginia. That's where she got her Green Card and all that. Now, we live in Maryland. The USCIS is aware that we live in Maryland. So, do we need to file for divorce under Virginia law or Maryland law? Or, are we only married in Fujisawa, and her Green Card was granted based on a marriage recognized overseas?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Usually file for divorce WHERE YOU ARE A RESIDENT.

For exact info, visit the web portal of the county court for your area.

as for 'where you are married' - you are married worldwide.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

Thanks. Your girls are cuties by the way ;)

So, my next question would be, if I live in Maryland, we file for divorce here and she goes back to Japan. Will she need to sue me for alimony according to the laws of Maryland or whatever backwards laws Japan has?

I had to fly back to Costa Rica and file. I was told by the consulate in NY that a US divorce will not be recognized in Costa Rica. I have a power of attorneyt there in CR to sign for anything that may come up so I don't have to fly back again. IT may be different in Japan but that is what I had to do. I didn't want to spend money on an attorney here only to find out I am not really divorced in Costa Rica.... Plus, I totally avoided the whole translation of documents thing.. ... GOOD LUCK

Married March 9, 2013
NOA1 I-130 April 12, 2013

Transferred to TSC Nov 27, 2013
APPROVED March 18, 2014 FINALLY ! ! ! !! 11 MONTHS & 6 LONG DAYS FOR MY NOA2
Case shipped from TSC to NVC March 21, 2014
Rec'd NOA2 hard copy March 22, 2014
Case rec'd & Case Number assigned April 1, 2014
AMAZING !!!
PAID IV and AOS fees online April 5, 2014
Fees show paid/DS 260 avail. /DS260 submitted/AOS&IV pkg sent April 9, 2014
FEDEX delivered @ NVC April 11, 2014
Revised AOS pkg delivered April 15, 2014
AOS & IV rec'd& scanned in @ NVC April 15, 2014
Revised AOS scanned April 18, 2014
AOS checklist for income and IV pkg April 30, 2014 (checklist expected due to Lawyers mistakes)
DS260 accepted April 30, 2014
Checklist for Birth cert/police cert May 1, 2014
AOS accepted May 5, 2014

Birth cert scanned MAY 8, 2014

CASE COMPLETE JUNE 4, 2014 CC letter received via email June 11, 2014

INTERVIEW JULY 15, 2014

Waiver finally FedEx'd to Phoenix Lockbox August 21, 2014

WAIVER APPROVED December 17, 2014

Received Instruction Letter via email December 23, 2014

Final Embassy Appointment January 5, 2015 YAY !

Visa ISSUED January 12, 2015

event.png

event.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hey, my wife and I got married in Fujisawa, Japan in 2005. Through the visa process, we've used the translated marriage certificate from Fujisawa as our "proof of marriage." We never got married in the US (legally nor ceremonial). We are thinking about getting a divorce, and she wants to go back to Japan. We are wondering where we need to go to accomplish the legal steps of the actual divorce.

So my question is, where are we married? When she immigrated, we lived in Virginia. That's where she got her Green Card and all that. Now, we live in Maryland. The USCIS is aware that we live in Maryland. So, do we need to file for divorce under Virginia law or Maryland law? Or, are we only married in Fujisawa, and her Green Card was granted based on a marriage recognized overseas?

You are married on Earth or any other populated planet. Divorce is filed and granted in the State of residence.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

You need to file a divorce in the state of your residence (Maryland).

When the divorce is final, report it to a nearest Japanese consulate.

In this way, you will be officially divorced in both counties.

How to report a divorce to the consulate general of Japan in the US:

http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/j/html/todoke/rikon.htm

Immigration Process (DCF Japan)

08/06/2008 I-130 petition at Tokyo, Japan

08/13/2008 I-130 approved

|

| Waited until we were ready to move back

|

07/13/2009 IV interview at Tokyo, Japan

07/15/2009 IV(IR-1) in hand

Post-DCF

07/29/2009 POE at Las Vegas

08/17/2009 GC(10yrs) received

Click here for the detailed timeline.

Done with USCIS until

- naturalization in May 2012 or

- GC replacement in February 2019

CXmLm7.png

Timeline

You need to file a divorce in the state of your residence (Maryland).

When the divorce is final, report it to a nearest Japanese consulate.

In this way, you will be officially divorced in both counties.

How to report a divorce to the consulate general of Japan in the US:

http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/j/html/todoke/rikon.htm

Reporting the divorce is optional. It serves as a notification but as married is married, divorced is divorced, everywhere.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Thanks. Your girls are cuties by the way ;)

So, my next question would be, if I live in Maryland, we file for divorce here and she goes back to Japan. Will she need to sue me for alimony according to the laws of Maryland or whatever backwards laws Japan has?

In most states - is 3 stage process -

1. filing

2. hearing

3. divorce granted

these 3 things never on same day.

Alimony can be covered inside of the documents that are filed. If the divorce is not contested, then most details can be covered in that first filing.

If the divorce is contested, then usually requests for alimony are filed prior to the divorce hearing date. There are many variances on what and when, as well.. To 'sue for alimony' is normal in one state, whilst 'alimony request on first filing, or filing doesn't happen' in other state.

These 'things' all vary by state - you really should check in with the county where you live, learn about the ins and outs of the divorce proceedings for your area. For many counties, MOST of that info is on a web portal - others - must go to a courthouse, find the law library, befriend the law librarian there, and do a brain dump from him/her to you. (Yes, that's C O U N T Y, without the R )

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Reporting the divorce is optional. It serves as a notification but as married is married, divorced is divorced, everywhere.

Reporting to a Japanese consulate is a must if at least one part is a Japanese national and the marriage is registered in Japan.

The website of Consulate of General Japan clearly states that (only in Japanese).

Immigration Process (DCF Japan)

08/06/2008 I-130 petition at Tokyo, Japan

08/13/2008 I-130 approved

|

| Waited until we were ready to move back

|

07/13/2009 IV interview at Tokyo, Japan

07/15/2009 IV(IR-1) in hand

Post-DCF

07/29/2009 POE at Las Vegas

08/17/2009 GC(10yrs) received

Click here for the detailed timeline.

Done with USCIS until

- naturalization in May 2012 or

- GC replacement in February 2019

CXmLm7.png

Timeline

Reporting to a Japanese consulate is a must if at least one part is a Japanese national and the marriage is registered in Japan.

The website of Consulate of General Japan clearly states that (only in Japanese).

A must to accomplish what exactly and for whom? The OP here is a US Citizen. When Maryland grants the couple a divorce, he's divorced. He need not report the divorce to any Japanese government agency in order to have it be real or to marry again. His spouse might want to report it for her purposes as she is a Japanese citizen. If she posts a question, this information might be meaningful to her but it makes no difference to a US Citizen.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Sorry, this isn't about where to file - but I expect it is just wherever you live at the time although you may have to do something in Japan too, depending on what their laws are - but legally, not all marriages are recognised in every country worldwide. It can depend on the laws of each country whether or not they choose to recognise marriages conducted outside of their territory.

Timeline

Sorry, this isn't about where to file - but I expect it is just wherever you live at the time although you may have to do something in Japan too, depending on what their laws are - but legally, not all marriages are recognised in every country worldwide. It can depend on the laws of each country whether or not they choose to recognise marriages conducted outside of their territory.

So, name a country where the marriage in question would not be recognized. While you're at it, let us know what a married couple would need to do in order to live their lives together as a husband and wife in that country, assuming they otherwise individually had permission to remain there.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

So, name a country where the marriage in question would not be recognized. While you're at it, let us know what a married couple would need to do in order to live their lives together as a husband and wife in that country, assuming they otherwise individually had permission to remain there.

The assertion is correct in a general sense in that the US, for example would not allow a USC or Green Card holder to petition for a visa for more than ONE current spouse, even if he were legally married to multiple wives in another country and only a limited number of US States or countries would recognize a same gender "marriage".

When one man and one woman marry under the laws of any sovereign nation, they are "married" worldwide. As a practical matter this often only becomes an issue if and when applying to marry or obtain a specific benefit restricted to a legally and lawfully wedded spouse.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Go argue about it with my law professor. He's the one that told us that. If you jump over a broomstick in Fiji it may be a legal marriage in Fiji but it may not be recognised elsewhere. There are many kinds of 'marriage', not just the ones that come with a piece of paper.

Timeline

Go argue about it with my law professor. He's the one that told us that. If you jump over a broomstick in Fiji it may be a legal marriage in Fiji but it may not be recognised elsewhere. There are many kinds of 'marriage', not just the ones that come with a piece of paper.

True but irrelevant, as "the marriage in question" (the one asked about) is the kind that comes with a paper, in this case a piece of paper accepted by the US Consulate and USCIS as sufficient evidence of legal marriage.

Perhaps your law professor taught you the skill of answering the question that suits you rather than the question actually asked?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.