effects69

One year and a bit in the USA and loving it!

10 posts in this topic

Since moving here to Los Angeles in April 17th 2009 life has changed for the best. We had a really beautiful backyard wedding right here in the valley. Mountains all around us. Nice hot sunny weather. My parents even travelled from the UK to be here at the wedding. We spent a lovely honeymoon at Laguna beach with plenty of sight seeing. I settled in pretty fast. My wife's family are great and her Daughter and I get on really well. I made friends here pretty fast also. ( Mainly musicians ) One of them being one of my all time rock idols! Crazy the people you can meet and become friends with here in LA. The only annoying thing was having to wait for my work permit. Once I finally got it after waiting for 5 months I soon found work. But that hasn't lasted long as I was laid off at the beginning of this year. I'm still looking for a new job. In the mean time I have recorded a CD down in a studio in Hollywood. Done quite a few shows and have started to make a name for myself. So as far as music goes everything is smooth. But the pay is bad. My wife is VERY supportive. I'm staying positive that I will find a good job soon. And at the same time I will keep pushing forward with my music. You can hear my 3 song single at http://www.myspace.com/byrongore And for anyone in San Diego I have a show there on the 20th. Details can be found on the myspace page.

As far as adjusting to the USA, the first thing I noticed is how everything here is sooooo much bigger than in the UK. The roads and freeways still scare me. I'm learning to drive right now so should be on the scary roads myself very soon. I do miss a few British foods and drinks, like Space Raiders crisps, Kenco coffee and Walkers crisps. I also miss the curry the you could buy at Tesco and the Posh noodles. :/ But I have become a lot healthier since moving here. My wife has made sure of that! Oh and of course it's a lot hotter here in Southern California. We live about 40 mins from downtown, in a little valley. It's a lot hotter here than it is in downtown LA. It has reached 114 degrees :S But I'm getting used to it. So life is good :) we are still in love and having fun. I have family visiting next week from the UK, so I can't wait to show them my new home and for them to meet my wife. Below you can see some footage from out wedding on June 7th 2009.

Mr and Mrs Gore :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBiViopTDvs

A little interview on our wedding day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACgRC9s7R2s&feature=channel

Cutting of the cake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQdV9SafRk4&feature=channel

Bouquet and garter toss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3D8FO3aQEM

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi! I'm here for over 8 months and I also love it. I don't have a licence yet (road test next week and I hate Parallel parking). I volunteer at the animal shelter which is an old dream. Soon I will have to look for a job also.

I've watched the videos on youtube. You had a very nice wedding.Congrats!

Hi! I'm here for over 8 months and I also love it. I don't have a licence yet (road test next week and I hate Parallel parking). I volunteer at the animal shelter which is an old dream. Soon I will have to look for a job also.

I've watched the videos on youtube. You had a very nice wedding.Congrats!

Thanks! Glad you like it over here too! :) The Animal shelter sounds like a great place to work!

It's nice to read stories of happy adjustments when the boards are ususally full of complaints. My husband too is loving his move from the UK. I enjoyed your wedding clips and music. Thanks for sharing.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Really nice read, thanks for posting. MMmmm would love some space raiders right now.

I too have become more healthy. Did not think that would happen in Florida, but I eat a lot better, work out more than I used to and spend much more time outside than I did back in the UK (where I was usually holed up raiding in warcraft).

USCIS & NVC

05-04-09 - Married

09-05-09 - I130 Approved (CSC)

12-09-09 - Case Completed (NVC)

01-08-10 - Approved (LND)

01-20-10 - PoE PHL

I-751

01-10-12 - Filed I-751, VT Service Center

01-17-12 - NOA1

02-08-12 - Biometrics at Alexandria, Va

10-04-12 - RFE

11-16-12 - Sent additional evidence (5.5lbs of evidence!)

12-04-12 - Approved

12-10-12 - Card arrived

It's nice to read stories of happy adjustments when the boards are ususally full of complaints. My husband too is loving his move from the UK. I enjoyed your wedding clips and music. Thanks for sharing.

Really. That's a shame :( So I'm glad I had a nice story to tell :)

Really nice read, thanks for posting. MMmmm would love some space raiders right now.

I too have become more healthy. Did not think that would happen in Florida, but I eat a lot better, work out more than I used to and spend much more time outside than I did back in the UK (where I was usually holed up raiding in warcraft).

Hehhehe yeah Space Raiders taste so amazing! Can't wait to get mine next week! I also spend a lot more time outdoors since I moved. And have become far more healthy. I guess it's because of the nice weather.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Congrats, lookslike you have a great experience to share. I too love California, but still miss Italy a lot, and I am sad about being away from my family, maybe the fact that my mother hasn;t really fully accepted my decision still stings a bit.

I love being outdoors too, and I excercise more than in Italy- althought there is more fattening food here so probably the exercise counterbalances it! :rofl:

event.png

AOS Journey

Marriage: 2010-03-06

Date Filed: 2010-03-23

NOA: 2010-04-02 (via texts and emails)+check cashed

NOA1 in the mail: 2010-04-07

Bio Appointment letter: 04/29 (FINALLY!!!!)

Bio Appointment: scheduled 05/24, walk-in on 05/03, yay!

**Touch on AOS and EAD: 05/03 and 05/04

Interview notice: 05/14, dated 05/11. It's for 06/17

EAD and AP approved: 06/03

**Touch on EAD and AP: 06/04

**Touch on AP: 06/07

**Touch on EAD and 2nd card production ordered: 06/08

**Touch on EAD: 06/09

AP received: 06/09

**Touch on EAD: 06/11. 3rd approval email received!

EAD received: 06/11 step 2 of 3 completed!

Interview scheduled: 06/17 @ 915 am APPROVED and card production ordered same day!!!!

Welcome letter received:06/21

2nd email Green Card production ordered:06/22

**Touch on AOS:06/23

3rd email received, blue dot went to post decision: 06/30

Tik tok tik tok....GREEN CARD IN HAND: 07/02!!!!!Less than a year since filing for the k1!

K1 Journey

I-129F Sent: 2009-08-12

I-129F NOA1: 2009-08-14

I-129F NOA2: 2009-10-29

Packet 3 Received: 2009-11-17

Interview: 2010-02-16, approved, visa the same day!

POE: 2010-03-03 @ LAX

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Looks like you guys having a good time.... :) and adjusting to the new life in US. If you want walkers crip, you can get Lays in US they are same.

If you like the thicker one then go for kettle ones, they are pretty much same.

Definately roads are bigger much more fun to drive on, and good thing no speed cameras like UK.... :)

Hopefully would be there soon too....... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like you guys having a good time.... :) and adjusting to the new life in US. If you want walkers crip, you can get Lays in US they are same.

If you like the thicker one then go for kettle ones, they are pretty much same.

Definately roads are bigger much more fun to drive on, and good thing no speed cameras like UK.... :)

Hopefully would be there soon too....... :)

Lays and Kettle still don't cut it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.