Sand

2 Questions.

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi guys and Ladies, i got 2 questions here., Sorry but i am posting my Topic here because soon i am applying for my Citizenship.

1- I was in vacation to Georgia and i got a speeding Ticket at 69mph on a 55mph zone.

Now the question is, Do i have to report it on Part 10 D, Good Moral Character #15? Or No need?

2- Now that was a first time for me to get a Ticket and not in my State. what should to do ? All what i know when my spouse Called were told That i have to pay $250 for the Ticket and they want the pay to be thru Money Order. which is fine with me . but the question here. What do i have to send with the money Order? The Original Ticket or Copy of it ? and is there any else? Plus.. if i mark Question #15 on Part 10, dont i need proof that i paid for the ticket? are they going to send me receipt ?? if not how can i get it to proof that i paid ?

Thanks alot for ur help.

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I had two traffic tickets back in 2003. In the N-400 application, I just checked yes to the arrest/cited question and in the table below, listed the incidents and mentioned traffic citation and the amount I paid in fines.

05/06/09 - Mailed I-751

05/15/09 - Check cashed by VSC

05/18/09 - Received I-751 Receipt Notice

05/30/09 - Received Biometric appointment for 06/08 (dated 05/22)

06/08/09 - Completed biometrics. Still unable to access case status online. Now the real wait begins!

06/09/09 - Finally case status showed up online!. Touched today

09/21/09 - Approved (Letter from USCIS Vermont, dated 09/16/09)

09/23/09 - Card production ordered

09/30/09 - Card received!. USCIS done until citizenship!

05/21/10 - Mailed N-400

05/24/10 - N-400 received at Dallas, TX Lockbox

06/01/10 - Check cashed

06/04/10 - Received N-400 receipt notice (NOA dated 05/27)

06/29/10 - Placed service request for not receiving biometrics. Transferred to immigration officer, who confirmed that the Biometrics

letter has been generated and I would be receiving it shortly.

07/01/10 - Email and SMS case update stating that the Biometrics letter has been sent on June 29'th 2010.

07/06/10 - Received Biometric appointment for 07/23 (dated 06/30)- DONE

08/02/10 - Received yellow letter reminding me to bring my state ID (dated 07/28)

08/05/10 - Case touched. Email and SMS case update stating that the case has been transferred to the local office for interview.

08/06/10 - Case touched

08/06/10 - Received interview appointment for 09/10 at 9:20AM in Philadelphia, PA

08/07/10 - Case touched

08/10/10 - Case touched

09/10/10 - Interview completed and recommended for approval

09/17/10 - Oath ceremony scheduled for Sep 29!.

09/29/10 - Oath completed. US citizen as of today. Journey complete!.

Timeline

Forgot to add in my previous posting. Some people have not mentioned traffic tickets and gotten away with them. I didn't feel comfortable not mentioning it, but didn't send any documentation with my application since my fines were less than $500 and points on my license. I have documentation to show the fines paid and will take it to the interview.

05/06/09 - Mailed I-751

06/08/09 - Completed biometrics. Still unable to access case status online. Now the real wait begins!

05/21/10 - Mailed N-400

06/01/10 - Check cashed

06/29/10 - Placed service request for not receiving biometrics. Transferred to immigration officer, who confirmed that the Biometrics

07/01/10 - Email and SMS case update stating that the Biometrics letter has been sent on June 29'th 2010.

08/02/10 - Received yellow letter reminding me to bring my state ID (dated 07/28)

08/05/10 - Case touched. Email and SMS case update stating that the case has been transferred to the local office for interview.

08/06/10 - Case touched

08/06/10 - Received interview appointment for 09/10 at 9:20AM in Philadelphia, PA

08/07/10 - Case touched

08/10/10 - Case touched

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Forgot to add in my previous posting. Some people have not mentioned traffic tickets and gotten away with them. I didn't feel comfortable not mentioning it, but didn't send any documentation with my application since my fines were less than $500 and points on my license. I have documentation to show the fines paid and will take it to the interview.

On a boating site, discussing this as the USGC are a great bunch of guys there for your safety where for the most part, land cops are mostly there to get you. Talk about inflation, a ticket like yours was 30 bucks thirty years ago, now its $250.00?

With Homeland Security, the doubled the size of our police force bringing in strangers from outside of town, have three unmarked vehicles now, just waiting to give you a ticket. Can stop you now and give you a 200 buck fine if they don't see that shoulder belt around your neck.

Perhaps the USCIS realizes this, as long as no one was hurt, you weren't drunk, and your fine is less than 500 bucks, you don't have to report it, read the instructions.

Never had to worry about getting a speeding ticket during the rush hour, city built a new high school on the other side of town on a two lane road, and in a short period of about 15 minutes, like 1,200 kids had to be dropped off, no bus service. Lucky to do 3 mph, but then you have to be on work on time. Our society really sucks. Its those back roads that no one knows about where you have to be extra careful. These cops have nothing else to do expect write tickets. And those steep fines can really hurt your budget.

Really surprised this is not an issue with the American people, had to go to our court house for other business, saw about 200 people standing in line to pay their tickets. Its a racket to get more money, but not even sure who gets it, property taxes keep on rising.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

If the ticket isn't over $500 and isn't DUI related then you do not have to mention this on the N-400. USCIS has stated this many times, regardless of how confusing the form is about 'citations'. If you still aren't convinced call them up and they'll let you know. It never hurts to disclose it and in some rare cases if you have a lot of other issues with your N-400 (arrests etc) then it might be better to disclose it. If that is all there is, then you don't need to bother.

I was confused when I was going through the process as well. Researched on the net and everywhere stated no I did not need to disclose it. I still wasn't convinced so contacted my lawyer that helped me with the AOS and he said the same thing. Still wasn't convinced and called the USCIS hotline number and again told the exact same thing. So I didn't disclose it.

At my interview I was asked if I had ever been in court (both my tickets were mandatory court because back then that county required everyone with a traffic ticket to attend court), I told the IO yes and he asked why. I mentioned my traffic tickets. He just wanted to know if they were over $500 or DUI related, they weren't and he went on to another topic. I did state I was confused about if one needs to disclose them or not and was told I didn't. He told me what I had heard was correct and that you do not need to disclose tickets that are not over $500 and are not DUI related.

If there are issues with your N-400 the most they'll do is request proof that you have paid off the ticket. Also make sure you have paid off the ticket. If you haven't paid it off, or need to attend court (like it was mandatory for my case) then you probably should disclose it as it is still a pending ticket. If you've paid it off, then you don't need to worry about it. Check http://forums.immigration.com/index.php? under the "Citizenship" forum and there is a stick thread all about traffic tickets that you can read for further information...

Oh and it's not the case that people have "gotten away" with not mentioning it. It is because the USCIS does not consider standard speeding tickets in that citiation/arrest catagory. They just refuse to change their document and probably never will.

Edited by warlord

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

I have come across other websites where lawyers have said that it needs to be mentioned in the N-400.

05/06/09 - Mailed I-751

05/21/10 - Mailed N-400

06/01/10 - Check cashed

08/06/10 - Case touched

08/07/10 - Case touched

08/10/10 - Case touched

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have come across other websites where lawyers have said that it needs to be mentioned in the N-400.

This is one of the most debated topics for the N-400 since the document is so confusing. This is why I contacted the USCIS myself to find out if I needed to go through the work to try and get the records etc and disclose it or not. I was happy that my IO backed up the USICS and stated I did not have to mention (though the court issue did come up in the interview).

People will never be satisfied and will find all sorts of answers on this topic. Will you get in trouble not disclosing it? No. Will some IO's request proof that it was paid? Yes they could and some have (usually with cases with other issues as well).

Either way it's up to each individual to decide if they want to or not. There's definatly no harm in doing so, though all the extra work for some might be too burdensome to try and contact the courts in other states and try and find proof of the tickets that may or may not exist anymore and so on. Some people have gone through nightmares trying to track down old tickets when they didn't have to.

But yeah it's up to the individual. I just know I'm glad I didn't have to worry about it and what I read and was told was backed up by my IO in the interview. I know mine would have been a nightmare to track down those tickets...

Here is the FAQ from the USCIS http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/chapter3.pdf

Under Q7 on convicted of a crime. Underneath it describes the traffic tickets. The issue with this is that the term "submit documentation" is what is confusing. Some people think that means not showing proof that it was paid, others (including the IO I had) means not needing to document it on the N-400...

Edited by warlord

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

Thank you so much guys for ur help, well i never been Arrestede before and i never been in Court or anything like that but wait what do u mean by DUI related do u mean Alcohol Test ? or i am mistaken ? if yes i dont drink and was no test at all.

Now what about the other Question... what to send whehn i pay the ticket and should i send the original ticket or Copy of it should be fine ??? and how can i know that i got points on my license, and do u think after i pay the Ticket i will be receving a receipt from them ???

Thanks alot,

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

Game Over.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thank you so much guys for ur help, well i never been Arrestede before and i never been in Court or anything like that but wait what do u mean by DUI related do u mean Alcohol Test ? or i am mistaken ? if yes i dont drink and was no test at all.

Now what about the other Question... what to send whehn i pay the ticket and should i send the original ticket or Copy of it should be fine ??? and how can i know that i got points on my license, and do u think after i pay the Ticket i will be receving a receipt from them ???

Thanks alot,

DUI is Driving Under the Influence of alcohol or a narcotic substance, but of no concern in my state, the fine will be far in excess of 500 bucks. Can do a google search on your state regarding points, again 50 states and 50 different sets of regulations.

My wife really had to adapt to our rules, coming from a country with no speed limits, but can't drive fast anyway, your vehicle would fall apart. She didn't understand with our beautiful highways, that 55 means 55, I don't understand it either, does anyone? Speed limits were lowered due to the energy crisis that didn't help a bit as 90% of the driving is done in traffic stalled cities. That really wastes a lot of gas. Truckers were getting poorer mileage as their engines were tuned for the faster speeds, but this is what happens when you have idiots leading our country.

But my wife was a good girl and obeyed laws, also learned you cannot bride the DVM to get a drivers' license, have to be able to pass both the written and driving tests. I haven't got a speeding ticket in 22 years years, my only receipt was my canceled check. Was going down a very steep hill on a county back road and got hit with a 160 buck fine for doing 59 in a 55, car was a heavy Caddy with the cruise control on, cop was at the very bottom of the hill. Didn't see him until it was too late. Yes, I am paranoid when driving, had to explain that for three years in a roll to my insurance company, but today they have computer data bases, so they know right away. Can expect your insurance rates to go up. Think they call that double jeopardy, never want to get a ticket while you are serving your country, that really teaches you about double jeopardy.

You won't have problems with the USCIS, don't even have to report it, everybody gets speeding tickets, I am way overdue.

Timeline

DUI is Driving Under the Influence of alcohol or a narcotic substance, but of no concern in my state, the fine will be far in excess of 500 bucks. Can do a google search on your state regarding points, again 50 states and 50 different sets of regulations.

My wife really had to adapt to our rules, coming from a country with no speed limits, but can't drive fast anyway, your vehicle would fall apart. She didn't understand with our beautiful highways, that 55 means 55, I don't understand it either, does anyone? Speed limits were lowered due to the energy crisis that didn't help a bit as 90% of the driving is done in traffic stalled cities. That really wastes a lot of gas. Truckers were getting poorer mileage as their engines were tuned for the faster speeds, but this is what happens when you have idiots leading our country.

But my wife was a good girl and obeyed laws, also learned you cannot bride the DVM to get a drivers' license, have to be able to pass both the written and driving tests. I haven't got a speeding ticket in 22 years years, my only receipt was my canceled check. Was going down a very steep hill on a county back road and got hit with a 160 buck fine for doing 59 in a 55, car was a heavy Caddy with the cruise control on, cop was at the very bottom of the hill. Didn't see him until it was too late. Yes, I am paranoid when driving, had to explain that for three years in a roll to my insurance company, but today they have computer data bases, so they know right away. Can expect your insurance rates to go up. Think they call that double jeopardy, never want to get a ticket while you are serving your country, that really teaches you about double jeopardy.

You won't have problems with the USCIS, don't even have to report it, everybody gets speeding tickets, I am way overdue.

Thanks Alot NickD, then i guess i am not going to report it ..

Game Over.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Speeding tickets in Georgia are paid in the local jurisdictions. You need to contact the Court House of the jurisdiction where you got the speeding ticket. The information should be on the ticket somewhere, but if not, then go online and search for traffic tickets and put in the County or city where the ticket was issued. Here is the general information about paying speeding tickets in Georgia: http://www.dmv.com/g...-traffic-ticket

If you were charged under the Super Speeder legislation you can check out information here: https://online.dds.g...v/SuperSpeeder/ (although I don't think you have to worry about this one).

I know if you had a Georgia DL you would request a Driving History from the DDS that would show if points had been taken off of your license or not. Check with your State Department of Driver Services and see if there is a similar option for you there. That is probably the easiest way to find out if you have points off or not. Here is the list of points penalties for Georgia - don't know if they carry out of state or not - but looking at it, the points deductions start at 15 mph over the speed limit and you were going 14 mph over so it looks like you didn't lose any points.

http://www.dmv.com/g...ds-point-system . You may want to double-check, though, just to be sure.

Also, if it were me - I would record the fact of the speeding ticket on the form and then let them tell you it wasn't necessary. Don't submit any documents with the application but bring them with you to the interview. You probably won't need them but in case you do, you have them. I believe you need to send in the original ticket with the payment so make sure you take photocopies before it is sent in along with proof of payment (a copy of your check or an online receipt). (although if you pay online which I believe is possible, you would still have the original ticket as well so just print out the receipt).

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Speeding tickets in Georgia are paid in the local jurisdictions. You need to contact the Court House of the jurisdiction where you got the speeding ticket. The information should be on the ticket somewhere, but if not, then go online and search for traffic tickets and put in the County or city where the ticket was issued. Here is the general information about paying speeding tickets in Georgia: http://www.dmv.com/g...-traffic-ticket

If you were charged under the Super Speeder legislation you can check out information here: https://online.dds.g...v/SuperSpeeder/ (although I don't think you have to worry about this one).

I know if you had a Georgia DL you would request a Driving History from the DDS that would show if points had been taken off of your license or not. Check with your State Department of Driver Services and see if there is a similar option for you there. That is probably the easiest way to find out if you have points off or not. Here is the list of points penalties for Georgia - don't know if they carry out of state or not - but looking at it, the points deductions start at 15 mph over the speed limit and you were going 14 mph over so it looks like you didn't lose any points.

http://www.dmv.com/g...ds-point-system . You may want to double-check, though, just to be sure.

Also, if it were me - I would record the fact of the speeding ticket on the form and then let them tell you it wasn't necessary. Don't submit any documents with the application but bring them with you to the interview. You probably won't need them but in case you do, you have them. I believe you need to send in the original ticket with the payment so make sure you take photocopies before it is sent in along with proof of payment (a copy of your check or an online receipt). (although if you pay online which I believe is possible, you would still have the original ticket as well so just print out the receipt).

Thank you so much Kathryn41 that was super helpful, but the thing is if i want to send it by the mail. how am i going to get a receipt from them ? are they going to send it to me or what .. Plus i was in Vacation so i came from California to Georgia.

and when i mark Question #15 on part 10 (moral character) do i have to give a little explanition that was a speeding ticket ? and do i need to request Rriving License record from my state (California) to take it with me to the interview ?

Thanks alot Kathryn41.

Game Over.

Timeline

Oh let me add this i cant see the court's name on nCourt's online in the site u gave me .. the court'S name is MAGISTRATE COURT

Game Over.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh let me add this i cant see the court's name on nCourt's online in the site u gave me .. the court'S name is MAGISTRATE COURT

Somewhere on the ticket it should say in what County the violation took place. Where were you when this happened? It would be the Magistrate Court for the relevant County where you would submit the payment. There are 159 Magistrate Courts in Georgia :)http://www.georgiaco...d=180&Itemid=27 . If they accept credit cards (most do) you would receive a receipt, plus you would have your credit card statement as proof. Again, if you mailed in the fine, you would get an official receipt mailed back.

Yes, just state 'speeding ticket'. The Immigration Officer will probably just skip over it but it is better to disclose it and let him/her make that decision than find out afterwards you should have listed it.

I wouldn't worry about requesting a copy of your Driving History as it appears there were no points taken off - you were 1 mph under the minimum limit for a 2 point penalty. Take a copy of the ticket, a copy of the cheque if you pay by check or the credit card statement if you pay by credit card, and the receipt that will be mailed to you.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Thank you so much Kathryn41 for ur help.

Oh by the way i got the Ticket in ATLANTA.

Game Over.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.