VN10

How to start new life in USA ?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Advice for people still in their native country and wanting/expecting to drive once they get to the US: learn to drive in your home country first. 1. No language barrier, 2. You'll be more comfortable and knowledgeable behind the wheel, 3. You'll still have to get a license here, but it'll be easier to adjust and more than likely you'll be able to pass the test on the first try... :)

(My husband was a driving instructor in VN and I had him driving as soon as he landed (well, the day after cause it was late...)

...since the OP is already here my advice to her: WATCH/OBSERVE your husband driving. Don't rush in learning how to drive, be familiar with the controls and practice when you can. I started driving when I was 12 because I "observed" everyone around me driving. It was easy to learn because I had seen others do it, after that, I just took the wheel (literally...).

Edited by lindal24

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]12-xx-2007 - 1st Trip (6wks) & Met him halfway around the world

[*]03-xx-2008 - Got engaged - two people on opposite sides of the world

[*]05-xx-2008 - 2nd Trip (2wks) - Engagement/Marriage/Consummation

[*]06-12-2008 - Filed I-130 (CR-1) with Vermont Service Center

[*]12-xx-2008 - 3rd Trip (4wks)

[*]06-05-2009 - Interview at 9:00am at HCMC Consulate (result: blue)

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

[*]08-xx-2009 - 4th Trip (4wks)

[*]10-07-2009 - AP 91 days - Result: APPROVED!!

[*]10-31-2009 - POE: Detroit, MI

[*]11-18-2009 - Social Security Card

[*]11-20-2009 - Green Card

[*]01-21-2010 - Driver's License

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]02/07/2011 - Renew Vietnam Passport

[*]07/30/2011 - Process of Removing Conditions Begins

[*]09/25/2011 - Date of I-751

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

[*]10/19/2011 - Biometrics

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

As for learning to speak English, watching cartoons with the captions on is beneficial (good). Writing/reading the forums is another good way. Playing scrabble is an interesting and fun method also. And, if you're going to the library, take your son and try to pick a few easy childrens book to read to him. If he remembers, he'll really appreciate it!

Just remember that you'll learn it in due time, probably quicker than you think with your eagerness! :)

No one's perfect, and everyone had to learn at one point or another!

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

Timeline

Hi everybody, I see that VJ has many topics but i wanted to startthis topic " about "How to start new life in the USA" for me and all people just come here.Although i arrivedhere over 4 months ago, there are still alot of new things. I dont know how other people feel.Please share all your experiences for to help us can join this life easy ease into life in the US.

With me, i thought 2 importants thing what i should to do : For me, there are two important things I would like to do:

- English language : i got here on Feb,and i could cannot find any ESL classes until the last week of August,2010. So may be i can study at evening time night.Luckily i knew know a little bit English but it isn't enough. My husband said says my English is not good enough for go work cause i will not pass the job interview apply job. I agree this.

- Driving Car : i passed writting the written driving test in on April. i have practiced driving 3 times but on the 3th time, unlucky i hit my husband's car in to a short of pillar next the curve when i turned right and confused between the brake and gas pedals. I made scraped the his car scarped on right door. Since that then he didnt hasnt taught teach me, i have to wait until he buys a old car for me....I can not go school for to learn to driveing cause it is cost a lot moneyexpensive. Can you give me some ideas about learning to driving?

That Those are my first 2 importants priorities.

I really want to would rather work than stay at home, i know it is hard cause i dont know english, dont know how to drive driving and i have a son who is 2 years old. Many reasons both Those 2 things above made make me really want to go come back to VN...sometime i felt feel really tired.Can you give me some advises ?

Please fix my english if i write wrote something wrong, that way you can help me with my english be better.

I thanks to all of you.I wish you all best to you !

Another piece of advice, use the spell checker! :)

BTW...the correction above is NOT perfect, but it's a start!

And if you can't say/write it in English, feel free to say/write it in Vietnamese, maybe someone will come along and help you translate it... :)

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Another piece of advice, use the spell checker! smile.gif

BTW...the correction above is NOT perfect, but it's a start!

And if you can't say/write it in English, feel free to say/write it in Vietnamese, maybe someone will come along and help you translate it... smile.gif

I like her version better blush.gif I feel that to correct you would not help, but to teach you would be better. Linda did do many corrections, but they were still not all correct. I would never open up a can of words asking for help, because it is all up to interpretation as to what you want to mean. The spelling can be addressed with a spell checker, but to try and put words in for you would not be right, and would only be my interpretation, as was with Linda’s. I am sure that many people could rewrite what Linda wrote, or what I would write instead. Don’t be ashamed, because you truly do write well, it is a bit broken at times, but it is understandable. There are other people that post on VJ and even on your thread that you started that I have trouble understanding as do many people, but the main point is not to let critics get to you, I know you asked for help and Linda was not being critical she was doing what you asked and helping you by changing your words around leaving some out and then adding some in. Practice makes perfect, you are already pretty good, and better than some that have lived in America for many MANY years. Another thing you might be able to do now that it is summer is go to the local schools, and possibly hire an English teacher to do some tutor work, or possibly enroll in a English class. Good luck and keep posting, and driving! Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Don't get too worked up about learning English. Whatever much you speak is quite enough. You'll learn it eventually. I'd think keeping a bit of immigrant-ness in your speech is sexy.

Don't get too worked up about learning English. Whatever much you speak is quite enough. You'll learn it eventually. I'd think keeping a bit of immigrant-ness in your speech is sexy.

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE

23-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox (USPS EXPRESS)

27-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form delivered/picked up by USCIS

01-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form fee check cashed by USCIS

04-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form received per NOA1

09-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 notice date

14-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 on hand through USPS

30-JAN-2017 -:- N400 fingerprint taken

01-FEB-2017 -:- N400 interview schedule process started

26-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview date set (01SEP2017)

29-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview letter on hand

01-SEP-2017 -:- N400 interview date - Interview passed

10-OCT-2017-:- N400 oath ceremony letter on hand (oath on 26OCT2017)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks very much about all your advices. Im living in Holland , MI. I called Holland public school , they have free ESL classes until last week of August.

Im not really homesick,i just miss my mom. But overthere, i can go whenever i want by motorbike, i had job and i spent time with mom,friends, family...

Im living here where dont have a lot vietnamese, i can not make friend with them cause they have work morning,almost old people stay at home....

Now, im look like useless person.I dont say life in USA bad, i just dont know where should i start. I just hope everything will be better....

Stick with it, it will get better. My wife came here from Thailand and went through a similar scenario, work, driving, ect. My best advice would be don't concentrate on Vietnamese for friendship, the US is a melting pot of all races and anyone can be your friend.

Thanks everybody gave me best advices.

IR1 - processed from 02/12/2008 to 12/08/2009

INTERVIEW : JAN 21-2010- GOT PINK

VISA IN HAND : FEB 4,2010

MOVED TO USA : FEB 6,2010

10 YEARS GC IN HAND : MARCH 13,2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.