Captain Oates

UK - US could it be divorce ?

107 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

They'd want to be paid for saving the Gulf Coast? Aside from it being the JOB of the government employees I thought he'd include in that discussion. I suppose if they insisted on pay, then yes, BP should pay.

I agree about conflicts of interest, but I'm afraid that PG brain isn't allowing me to understand what MMS is. LOL

It isn't the job of the government to clean up the disaster created by corporate blunder.

But you remember and what was reported in the press might be two different things? I am too lazy to google this, and I am not interested in point scoring, but considering how hysterical the recent reactions have been recently about Americans buying off British chocolate factories or owning beloved football clubs (scousers burning our flag!), I suspect it might be a different if it happened today.

90day.jpg

But you remember and what was reported in the press might be two different things? I am too lazy to google this, and I am not interested in point scoring, but considering how hysterical the recent reactions have been recently about Americans buying off British chocolate factories or owning beloved football clubs (scousers burning our flag!), I suspect it might be a different if it happened today.

But no one was calling for Hersheys to be shut down even though it looked likely that British jobs would be lost in the takeover, let alone Brown.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Timeline

But no one was calling for Hersheys to be shut down even though it looked likely that British jobs would be lost in the takeover, let alone Brown.

There was a hysterical outcry when Stella bought out Budweiser. Priorties, priorities, seems some have misplaced theirs :whistle:

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Until Obama says something like "The British will have to clean this up" I think were all dealing with a fantasy here. Obama isn't treating BP much different than other companies in the past 2 years. To say that his heavy rhetoric towards BP is an attack on Britain is fantasy.

Its quite obvious that a few politicians in Britain are simply too closely tied to BP.

Timeline

Until Obama says something like "The British will have to clean this up" I think were all dealing with a fantasy here. Obama isn't treating BP much different than other companies in the past 2 years. To say that his heavy rhetoric towards BP is an attack on Britain is fantasy.

Its quite obvious that a few politicians in Britain are simply too closely tied to BP.

I think it's a bit naive to suggest that Obama doesn't understand the ramifications that condemning BP will have on the greater populace. I think even BY and Gary could comprehend that one :rofl:

Incidentally the "boot on the throat" comment was Robert Gibbs, not Obama

Maybe so, but when your official spokesperson says that, it carries the same credence.

Edited by Rob and Mel

Timeline

I think it's a bit naive to suggest that Obama doesn't understand the ramifications that condemning BP will have on the greater populace. I think even BY and Gary could comprehend that one :rofl:

Maybe so, but when your official spokesperson says that, it carries the same credence.

You mean like when he condemned the US auto industry, Goldman Sachs etc?

Edited by Sousuke

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Incidentally the "boot on the throat" comment was Robert Gibbs, not Obama

Sack Robert Gibbs !

Boot on his throat while giving him his firing notice !

I would pay to see that - all proceeds to the clean up fund

ps elmo - down to 2 !

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

Sack Robert Gibbs !

I think they are planning on it. About 6 months ago it became obvious he wasn't liking the job. He's very hostile to the White House press which is a big no no.

I suspect he would have acted this way had it been ANY oil company.

Timeline

You mean like when he condemned the US auto industry, Goldman Sachs etc?

That was well after the fact, where little could have been done to further their descent.

I suspect he would have acted this way had it been ANY oil company.

Yes. Oil companies seem to have replaced nazi's as the most notorious miscreants.

Cadbury was a bit of a special case, someone could take over Thorntons (assuming that's British owned, no idea) and nobody would bat an eyelid. Sure, Cadbury established itself with its chocolate but half of their ability to hold onto the top spot (in chocolate consumption) was in their message. They sold the image (with great effect I might add) that they were a symbol of Britishness, a part of what made Britain, Britain. So when you build your brand loyalty (in an indirect way) with loyalty to your country and then sold out to an American company (at a time when we have very little manufacturing left) how could it be seen as anything else but betrayal?

Unfortunately like most British things, the public moaned about how terrible it was for 5 seconds and then forgot about it, going about eating their chocolate anyway so it obviously doesn't matter to them that much.

mooglesmall2-1-1.jpgDelicioussig.jpg

Sack Robert Gibbs !

ps elmo - down to 2 !

Awesome. I am 2 sycophantic points away from being restored to my position as No 1 amongst my sister-wifelings.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Unfortunately like most British things, the public moaned about how terrible it was for 5 seconds and then forgot about it, going about eating their chocolate anyway so it obviously doesn't matter to them that much.

British apathy is a world beating product but is presented as tolerance.

What else explains the election of a monkey in newcastle or screaming lord such's support ?

moresheep400100.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.