BB & MJ

I-134 Question (Personal Property and Tax Information)

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I'm new to the Immigration scene after just filing my I-129F fiance petition last week. Just wanted to get a head start on the I-134 (I'm an organized freak!). I had a question regarding the Personal Property question on #7. Pretty dumb question but just wanted to make sure, PERSONAL PROPERTY means STUFF I OWN, UNDER MY NAME, correct? I don't have any property under my name officially and I live at home with my parents, so I guess my answer is $0, correct? Can anyone provide more information that I could have missed besides the usual, car, home, etc.? Also, how much far back of Tax info (1040 & W2's) should I provide as evidence of support and send to my fiancee? Thanks for all the help and info to everyone.

“We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone. I'm new to the Immigration scene after just filing my I-129F fiance petition last week. Just wanted to get a head start on the I-134 (I'm an organized freak!). I had a question regarding the Personal Property question on #7. Pretty dumb question but just wanted to make sure, PERSONAL PROPERTY means STUFF I OWN, UNDER MY NAME, correct? I don't have any property under my name officially and I live at home with my parents, so I guess my answer is $0, correct? Can anyone provide more information that I could have missed besides the usual, car, home, etc.? Also, how much far back of Tax info (1040 & W2's) should I provide as evidence of support and send to my fiancee? Thanks for all the help and info to everyone.

Hi there...You will need at least 125% of the Poverty level as your annual income. Here is a link to the poverty guidelines http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf If you don't have that much income you will need assets. See the I-134 Instructions found here http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134instr.pdf You will see some of the requirements in the instructions. Because your consulate is in the Phil, you will need three years of tax returns or a letter explaining why you don't have a tax return for that year. It is a good idea to have about 3 to 6 months worth of paystubs also. If you don't have enough income you can have a sponsor if needed. Don't take a chance on your future if you don't have to. The more supporting documentation you have the better. Hope that helps. Best of Luck!

Hi there...You will need at least 125% of the Poverty level as your annual income. Here is a link to the poverty guidelines http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf If you don't have that much income you will need assets. See the I-134 Instructions found here http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134instr.pdf You will see some of the requirements in the instructions. Because your consulate is in the Phil, you will need three years of tax returns or a letter explaining why you don't have a tax return for that year. It is a good idea to have about 3 to 6 months worth of paystubs also. If you don't have enough income you can have a sponsor if needed. Don't take a chance on your future if you don't have to. The more supporting documentation you have the better. Hope that helps. Best of Luck!

Thank you for the response. I made about $51,000+ last year (stated on my W2 for 2009) and have been working for 5 years +. The past 3 years 1040's and W2's should be sufficient enough right? Thank you for the info about the pay-stubs as well. That is very helpful info that I should provide my fiancee. Here's a checklist I made for things to send my fiancee once I receive the NOA2 (hopefully). Let me know if I missed anything. Thanks in advance for all the info!

- I-129F Petition Package (Entire Copy)

- I-134 (Affidavit of Support)

- Letter of Intent to Marry (sign and date)

- ORIGINAL/COPY of Bank Statement (See instructions for I-134)

- ORIGINAL/COPY of Letter from Employer

- ORIGINAL/COPY of Federal Tax Return 1040 & W2’s (2007-2009)

- ORIGINAL/COPY of Monthly Pay Stubs (3 to 6 recent)

- COPY of NOA2 (Approval Letter)

- Send ALL originals of documentary proof (from package)

ORIGINAL Boracay Hotel receipt

ORIGINAL Boarding Pass PAL

ORIGINAL Boarding Pass Cebu Pacific Air

ORIGINAL Bank account statement (Hotel Payment)

ORIGINAL Engagement ring receipt

ORIGINAL Phone receipts (about 3)

ORIGINAL Money Transfer receipts (3 recent)

- COPY of Pictures from I-129F package (w/ additions)

- Selective Emails from Past to Present

DID I MISS ANYTHING????

“We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

First, ignore the I-134 instructions. They were written by USCIS. The consulate belongs to a completely different branch of the US government, and they are not bound by those instructions. If you strictly followed the I-134 instructions then you would (falsely) believe you were always required to submit bank statements, but you were only required to submit tax returns if you were self-employed. In most cases, the opposite is true. Provide whatever evidence the consulate asks for, and NOT what is stated in the I-134 instructions.

If you qualify on income alone then you don't need to list anything else. Unless you're explicitly telling the consulate that you don't have any assets (which you don't have to do) then don't write $0. Just leave the line blank, or draw a line through it.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

First, ignore the I-134 instructions. They were written by USCIS. The consulate belongs to a completely different branch of the US government, and they are not bound by those instructions. If you strictly followed the I-134 instructions then you would (falsely) believe you were always required to submit bank statements, but you were only required to submit tax returns if you were self-employed. In most cases, the opposite is true. Provide whatever evidence the consulate asks for, and NOT what is stated in the I-134 instructions.

If you qualify on income alone then you don't need to list anything else. Unless you're explicitly telling the consulate that you don't have any assets (which you don't have to do) then don't write $0. Just leave the line blank, or draw a line through it.

Thanks for the info JimVaPhuong. Most of the fields are $0 anyways. Just my annual income and bank statement should be sufficient enough. I do have life insurance but NOT going to include that on my application.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks for the info JimVaPhuong. Most of the fields are $0 anyways. Just my annual income and bank statement should be sufficient enough. I do have life insurance but NOT going to include that on my application.

Since you are qualifying based on current income, it would be extremely advisable to submit several of your most current pay stubs. Documenting current income is more important when qualifying on the basis of that income. Three months would be very good.

Good luck.

Naturalization N-400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.