icee

Poverty Guidelines?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Kyrgyzstan
Timeline

Hi,

We have a question on poverty guideline. They have a poverty guideline for the household starting from two people in the household, so does it mean that is the petitioner and an intending immigrant as one household?

Another question, is about the joint sponsor, does the joint sponsor need to include the intending immigrant as part of their household size? What is the joint sponsor's income? Is it his/her income only, or is it also including his/her spouse's income altogether?

Hi,

We have a question on poverty guideline. They have a poverty guideline for the household starting from two people in the household, so does it mean that is the petitioner and an intending immigrant as one household?

Another question, is about the joint sponsor, does the joint sponsor need to include the intending immigrant as part of their household size? What is the joint sponsor's income? Is it his/her income only, or is it also including his/her spouse's income altogether?

You are right for the 1st question. It counts the people that are already in the household and the intended immigrant (eg: a person living alone / US Citizen and the spouse / the intended immigrant)(1 US citizen+1AOS = 2 people in the household)

For the second question: yes, it counts the person as a household member (potential); if the co - sponsor has an income over the poverty limit for his household (co-sponsor+his/her family+intended immigrant = X people in the household) it's no need to add the income from his other members of the household. If it has to do it, it will be an extra form to fill out.

I hope that i was pretty coherent :)

Good luck

Patience is the greatest virtue. We all need it while dealing with USCIS (hahaha)

Entered US (B1/B2 visa): Sept 19, 2008

I94 expiry: March 19, 2009

Married: Nov 28th, 2008

Mailed: AOS, I-130, I-131, I-785: March 2nd, 2009

Check cashed: March 12th, 2009

NOAs received: March 13th, 2009 (Issued: March 11th, 2009)

Biometrics Appoint. Received: March 16th, 2009 (Issued: March 13th, 2009)

Biometrics Scheduled: March 27, 2009

Biometrics done: March 18th, 2009

Received Advance Parole: May 4th, 2009

EAD: May 7th, 2009

Interview invitation received: June 5th, 2009

Interview date: July 13th, 2009

Green card approved & passport stamped at the interview: July 13th, 2009

Welcome letter received: July 21st, 2009

Green card received: July 27th, 2009

Condition removal mailed: April, 18th, 2011

Condition removal approved: July 21st, 2011

10 years green card received: July 27th, 2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

What would be the extra form to fill out if he/she would need to add income from his/her spouse?

The spouse would sign an I-864A.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Zimbabwe
Timeline

What is an I-864A and would one of them need to be making 125% over poverty, or could both persons combine their total incomes to make up the 125% over poverty requirement?

It's an additional form that the spouse needs to sign - basically asks for the same information as the I-864, just recognizes that there is another person whose income is also being counted.

I think you can combine them to make over 125%, but I'm not entirely sure. My mom & stepdad each make over 125%, but I had my stepdad do the I-864 & my mom do the I-864A.

Married - 3/12/10

AOS Filed - 5/13/10

Biometrics received - 6/5/10

Biometrics done - 6/9/10

RFE Received 6/10/10

Touched - 6/7/10, 6/16/10, 6/17,10 (all)

RFE delivered - 6/29/10

Resumed processing - 6/30/10

EAD Production Ordered - 7/2/10, 7/8/10, mailed 7/15/10

Touched - 7/6/10, 7/8/10 (485, 765)

Touched EAD - 7/16/10

EAD Received!! - 7/17/10

Interview - August 30, 8:45- Approved!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.