Gary and Alla

Top Shot

50 posts in this topic

No, I agree with you with being able to own any kind of firearm. I'm not biased just because I shoot mainly pistol & rifle.

Glad to hear it. Now make sure all those other IPSC folks get that memo!

I want to try that one day! Is that you? :P

Yes, that's me.

Now's not a good time for me to go shooting or play with Tannerite, but I'd say we could probably meet up and go shooting next summer if you'd like. Seriously, I'm in Cincinnati so a roadtrip to go shooting wouldn't be out of the question. Everyone should blow up a watermelon filled with Tannerite at least once in their life!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Glad to hear it. Now make sure all those other IPSC folks get that memo!

Yes, that's me.

Now's not a good time for me to go shooting or play with Tannerite, but I'd say we could probably meet up and go shooting next summer if you'd like. Seriously, I'm in Cincinnati so a roadtrip to go shooting wouldn't be out of the question. Everyone should blow up a watermelon filled with Tannerite at least once in their life!

That would be fun. Shooting is always a good excuse for some travelling!

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Episode 3 - Archery!

Once again, I was somewhat disappointed with this show but still happy to see marksmanship on television. These "marksmen" were completely out of their element when it came to something other than firearms. A few of the competitors got it, "It's top shot with ANY historical weapon... not just firearms." But even still fewer actually showcased some marksmanship skill and did well.

The blue team continues to dominate the team challenges and the red team continues to self-destruct with this week's episode being very "Survivorish." They had secret meetings, pow-wows of who to vote out, etc. There was almost as much "drama" as there was marksmanship and shooting. While this show was probably more entertaining for many to watch, I found myself pretty bored about midway through. Individual personalities are really starting to show.

The challenges were pretty cool again with the team challenge being as many arrows as one could launch from a long bow in 30 seconds - closest arrow to bullseye wins. Target was a HUGE stack of hay bales at 100 yards with a 36" bullseye. Entire target looked to be about 15 feet across. Kelly, the young kid from the red team, shot an arrow about 33" from center. He continues to adapt his skills to various weapons and fare pretty well. So far, he's been the most impressive marksman on the show.

Since no one really "messed up" this week, the individual challenge wasn't decided by skills (or lack thereof) during the team competition, it was decided by personal opinions and feelings. There were several personality clashes this week and it came to a head with most of the red team hoping to see Brad in the elimination challenge. After a very close vote with several of the guys voting for their least-favorite teammate, Brad was to face Bill in a modern crossbow shootout that replicated the famous "William Tell hitting an apple" shot. The competitors had to hit apples at 10, 20, 30, and 40 yards.

I found this episode to be pretty depressing in that it showed 14 "marksman" who are "very good" shooters with firearms to be totally lacking when it came to archery. They did OK on the modern crossbow only because it so much resembles a firearm. I'm really looking forward to the other archery competitions and things such as throwing knives, etc., to see how well they can truly adapt their marksmanship abilities.

Next week's episode looks pretty good. They're using an AR-15 to bust different color plates. Kind of an IPSC match, but with a rifle. Should be pretty interesting.

Edited - Removed spoiler alerts for those who haven't watched the show yet.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Episode 3 - Archery!

Once again, I was somewhat disappointed with this show but still happy to see marksmanship on television. These "marksmen" were completely out of their element when it came to something other than firearms. A few of the competitors got it, "It's top shot with ANY historical weapon... not just firearms." But even still fewer actually showcased some marksmanship skill and did well.

The blue team continues to dominate the team challenges and the red team continues to self-destruct with this week's episode being very "Survivorish." They had secret meetings, pow-wows of who to vote out, etc. There was almost as much "drama" as there was marksmanship and shooting. While this show was probably more entertaining for many to watch, I found myself pretty bored about midway through. Individual personalities are really starting to show.

The challenges were pretty cool again with the team challenge being as many arrows as one could launch from a long bow in 30 seconds - closest arrow to bullseye wins. Target was a HUGE stack of hay bales at 100 yards with a 36" bullseye. Entire target looked to be about 15 feet across. Kelly, the young kid from the red team, shot an arrow about 33" from center. He continues to adapt his skills to various weapons and fare pretty well. So far, he's been the most impressive marksman on the show.

Since no one really "messed up" this week, the individual challenge wasn't decided by skills (or lack thereof) during the team competition, it was decided by personal opinions and feelings. There were several personality clashes this week and it came to a head with most of the red team hoping to see Brad in the elimination challenge. After a very close vote with several of the guys voting for their least-favorite teammate, Brad was to face Bill in a modern crossbow shootout that replicated the famous "William Tell hitting an apple" shot. The competitors had to hit apples at 10, 20, 30, and 40 yards.

I found this episode to be pretty depressing in that it showed 14 "marksman" who are "very good" shooters with firearms to be totally lacking when it came to archery. They did OK on the modern crossbow only because it so much resembles a firearm. I'm really looking forward to the other archery competitions and things such as throwing knives, etc., to see how well they can truly adapt their marksmanship abilities.

Next week's episode looks pretty good. They're using an AR-15 to bust different color plates. Kind of an IPSC match, but with a rifle. Should be pretty interesting.

Edited - Removed spoiler alerts for those who haven't watched the show yet.

I had hoped that we would see something a little more similar to a period longbow but I suppose they needed something a little more modern.

I thought the team challenge was poorly designed and greatly contributed to the problems in this episode. A simple change that would have improved things would have been to award points to every arrow that fell within a certain ring and then simply total points for each team. This would have increased the value of speed and consistency, made the challenge seem like less of a #######-shoot, and would have allowed each team to more objectively evaluate the contributions of each individual member. As it was, it seemed to me that the challenge was quite luck based and divorced individual team members from any responsibility other than lauding those who placed first.

This sort of challenge inevitably leads to survivor sort of politics since it's much harder for voting to be based on the challenge itself. As far as the skill of the contestants, I didn't see it as too deficient but I felt that the team challenge failed to showcase the skill of individual members which made it seem like a lot of arrows going every which way.

In the elimination round I found myself wishing that they would both lose. They both displayed a remarkable lack of self control and maturity. Brad was whining once again and you would think that Bill would grow up and get a thicker skin. While I can see how Kelly could be annoying, his comment didn't warrant the kind of reaction it received. It was a poorly thought out joke not intended to offend. But even if it did, Bill should grow up and get a grip.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I had hoped that we would see something a little more similar to a period longbow but I suppose they needed something a little more modern.

I thought the team challenge was poorly designed and greatly contributed to the problems in this episode. A simple change that would have improved things would have been to award points to every arrow that fell within a certain ring and then simply total points for each team. This would have increased the value of speed and consistency, made the challenge seem like less of a #######-shoot, and would have allowed each team to more objectively evaluate the contributions of each individual member. As it was, it seemed to me that the challenge was quite luck based and divorced individual team members from any responsibility other than lauding those who placed first.

This sort of challenge inevitably leads to survivor sort of politics since it's much harder for voting to be based on the challenge itself. As far as the skill of the contestants, I didn't see it as too deficient but I felt that the team challenge failed to showcase the skill of individual members which made it seem like a lot of arrows going every which way.

In the elimination round I found myself wishing that they would both lose. They both displayed a remarkable lack of self control and maturity. Brad was whining once again and you would think that Bill would grow up and get a thicker skin. While I can see how Kelly could be annoying, his comment didn't warrant the kind of reaction it received. It was a poorly thought out joke not intended to offend. But even if it did, Bill should grow up and get a grip.

So this show is basically why I never re-connected my TV after returning from Ukraine. Instead of discussing shooting we are discussing whiners and reactions to jokes and "politics" of "voting". #### that. I started shooting competitively in 1970 and have yet to participate in a "vote" at a match. I vote with my bullets, driving them through the X ring gives the best results, when you can't do that a "10" is nearly as good. Go outside the "9" ring and you need to get your head on straight or find ut what happened to your rifle in the baggage hold because something just ain't right. If I was ever faced with a target at 100 yards, I think I would be tempted to THROW the rifle at it, or get a shotgun because it would seem like I was at the skeet field. 200 yards is minimum and that means you stand on your hind legs and shoot like a man.

Sorry but the history channel messed up this show and when I watch it on Hulu and have to really search to find anything resembling "shooting", I am done with it. I do not have the patience to sit through something like this.

And I am beginning to question if it even shows shootigng sports in a good light.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

it seemed to me that the challenge was quite luck based and divorced individual team members from any responsibility other than lauding those who placed first.

That was probably the point. Had they "kept score" it would've been quite easy to see who dropped the ball and we never would've had this showdown of the whiners at the end.

Brad was whining once again and you would think that Bill would grow up and get a thicker skin.

Despite his faults, Brad has won two challenges in a row. Like him or not, he's proving to be a competitor. A whiny little b!tch of a competitor, but a competitor all the same.

I vote with my bullets, driving them through the X ring gives the best results

That's the thing, they can all hate Brad as much as they want, but vote or no vote, until someone beats him with their bullets, he's not going home.

And I am beginning to question if it even shows shootigng sports in a good light.

It's not like they're fighting with guns. They have personality conflicts but don't shoot each other. If anything, that should be a lesson right there. Here's a group of guys, all mad at each other, and one of them has a loaded pistol. Does he shoot the guy he's mad at? No.

I'd be willing to bet people watching this show are kind of asking themselves, "man, what's stopping that guy from just turning around and drilling his enemy?" Maybe the world can see it's possible to be mad at someone without shooting them - even for gun people. "But how can that guy stand there with a loaded gun and NOT shoot the other guy?" That's what we get all day long from the antis.

I have a feeling next week's episode is going to be my favorite so far. It looks like a fun match plus they're going to have to use some real skills... and AR-15s. I'll watch people shoot those all day.

Русский форум член.

Timeline

Yeah, you're right that Brad won't go home until he loses. I like that about this game over survivor. He's a fine shot but he just seems to be unwilling to accept responsibility for himself.

However, my thought would be that it portrays gun owners in a slightly bad light in that a lot of these guys, inspite of their apparent experience and maturity, seem to lack basic social skills and self control.

Timeline

However, my thought would be that it portrays gun owners in a slightly bad light in that a lot of these guys, inspite of their apparent experience and maturity, seem to lack basic social skills and self control.

I would hope most people watching the show would realize they edit clips to make some guys look like they have poor personalities. Yea, there may be some whining, but when that's all you hear from a competitor, & not other conversations, they get labelled as b!tchy.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

That was probably the point. Had they "kept score" it would've been quite easy to see who dropped the ball and we never would've had this showdown of the whiners at the end.

Despite his faults, Brad has won two challenges in a row. Like him or not, he's proving to be a competitor. A whiny little b!tch of a competitor, but a competitor all the same.

That's the thing, they can all hate Brad as much as they want, but vote or no vote, until someone beats him with their bullets, he's not going home.

It's not like they're fighting with guns. They have personality conflicts but don't shoot each other. If anything, that should be a lesson right there. Here's a group of guys, all mad at each other, and one of them has a loaded pistol. Does he shoot the guy he's mad at? No.

I'd be willing to bet people watching this show are kind of asking themselves, "man, what's stopping that guy from just turning around and drilling his enemy?" Maybe the world can see it's possible to be mad at someone without shooting them - even for gun people. "But how can that guy stand there with a loaded gun and NOT shoot the other guy?" That's what we get all day long from the antis.

I have a feeling next week's episode is going to be my favorite so far. It looks like a fun match plus they're going to have to use some real skills... and AR-15s. I'll watch people shoot those all day.

I have won matches and I have lost them (lost more than won) and never felt mad at anyone. (OK< myself sometimes, but no one else) If I do not hit the X ring enough I do not win. No one shoots the rifle for me. What's to get mad about? I have seen very little anger on the shooting range. I DID see a guy stick a Browning BT-99 into the mud, barrel first, when I kicked his @ss using a M12 Winchester in a "for fun" trap competition at our club's family picnic day but I write that off to him being a trap shooter. That's why I like skeet. But I think he was mad at himself...not me.

OK, I will watch them shoot the mouse gun and if it doesn't get better, I am bolting. Better time spent fishing or really shooting. The AR-15 has turned out to be a really accurate rifle and I have two, one for Service rifle and one for Match rifle, but if these jazzbos need 30 rounds to hit a target at 100 yards again, I am vomiting and then turning it off for good. The AR-15 has completely taken over the firing line in all types of rifle competition. Incredible really. We laughed at them just a few years ago and now they kicked all the walnut and steel dinosaurs right off the line, but I will forever keep my M1 and M1A(M14) and they still win matches.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

I like that about this game over survivor.

Yep, it's like no matter who hates whom, they can't "vote them off." They have to be beaten before they go home.

That's society nowadays!

While I would agree many of these so-called "experts" aren't looking too professional, I don't think the average "non-shooter" is going to look at this and say, "oh, those guys are immature so nobody should have a gun." I believe most of the "non-shooter" public watches shows like Survivor so shows like this show them nothing other than "normal" behavior that they're used to.

The AR-15 has completely taken over the firing line in all types of rifle competition. Incredible really. We laughed at them just a few years ago and now they kicked all the walnut and steel dinosaurs right off the line, but I will forever keep my M1 and M1A(M14) and they still win matches.

Those are all good rifles.

Русский форум член.

Timeline

Episode 4 was probably the best so far. The shooting looked much more professional and impressive. I also like that the challenge provided individual scoring. Jim looked a lot more impressive than he did in episode 2 where he looked like he'd never held a pistol before.

I found odd the assertion that Iain wanted to compete in the elimination to get more practice. He obviously had various reasons for wanting to compete but I don't think practice was one of them. In each challenge they practice to get used to the specific weapon they will be using. But after that challenge is over, practice with that specific weapon isn't going to make a difference with other weapons considering they all have extensive experience in weapons in general.

Timeline

Yea, last episode was pretty good.

I'm really hating the way they pick who gets to sit out the challenges. The rule is you can't sit out if you sat out last time (no twice in a row). That's bs. It should be every contestant must sit out once before someone is chosen a second time. Blake has sat out 2 times out of the 4 episodes. I want to see these guys shoot!

Episode 4 was probably the best so far. The shooting looked much more professional and impressive. I also like that the challenge provided individual scoring.

Yep! It was a cool challenge and both teams actually competed as a team of individuals instead of only as individuals. The memory game was pretty neat.

Jim looked a lot more impressive than he did in episode 2 where he looked like he'd never held a pistol before.

He had me going there for a minute when he took all day to fire his first shot during practice. Once he got going though he did really well. He looked good during the individual challenge too.

I found odd the assertion that Iain wanted to compete in the elimination to get more practice. He obviously had various reasons for wanting to compete but I don't think practice was one of them. In each challenge they practice to get used to the specific weapon they will be using. But after that challenge is over, practice with that specific weapon isn't going to make a difference with other weapons considering they all have extensive experience in weapons in general.

Iain was a platoon commander in the fusiliers. His decision to compete in the individual challenge was strictly to unify his team. Love him or hate him (and it looks like next week there'll be a few who disagree with him on some things) he's uniting his team. He knows he stands a better chance of going the distance if Red Team loses each week.

I'm really hating the way they pick who gets to sit out the challenges. The rule is you can't sit out if you sat out last time (no twice in a row). That's bs. It should be every contestant must sit out once before someone is chosen a second time. Blake has sat out 2 times out of the 4 episodes. I want to see these guys shoot!

I think that's all part of the "drama" they're adding to the game. If Blake's reputation is such that he can ride it out, well, so be it. That may come to a head by the end of the season.

Keep in mind he (and others) may ride out the challenges in their "comfort zone" but when it comes to things like throwing knives or spears or something, he may've used up all his rep.

Русский форум член.

Timeline

Iain was a platoon commander in the fusiliers. His decision to compete in the individual challenge was strictly to unify his team. Love him or hate him (and it looks like next week there'll be a few who disagree with him on some things) he's uniting his team. He knows he stands a better chance of going the distance if Red Team loses each week.

I don't really see it as a decision to unify his team. It seemed to me that it was a political decision that did two things. First, it established him as the leader of the team. He got the team to do what he told them to do and gained respect. Whether or not that plays out remains to be seen. Second, he took his "turn" in the elimination against what he thought would be a weaker opponent. Naturally, he can be elected again and again, but it seems the blue team has a sense of fairness that may play in his favor in view of the fact that he has already competed once.

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 5 tonight. - Kentucky Long Rifle!

Pretty good episode with some great team dynamics by one team.... horrible by the other. We're seeing the individualistic attitudes of folks start to truly shine, even to the point of "he's a snivelling little b!tch." Wow. Didn't think I was going to hear that on this show.

In the end, it came down to marksmanship and there was a good individual competition.

Now that the team events are getting more challenging, we're going to really start seeing who is good, who is not, and which team is willing to work together to win. I'm already anticipating next week's episode - The Colt Peacemaker.

Русский форум член.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.