Kathryn41

Off Topic Part Cinq

1,486 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sounds good, but my husband will be a student. He has a full ride, so no debt there, but I'm the sole source of income for the next few years. Bringin' home the bacon. Haha.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sounds good, but my husband will be a student. He has a full ride, so no debt there, but I'm the sole source of income for the next few years. Bringin' home the bacon. Haha.

If you are moving to the south eastern states Royal Bank has branches there trhough RBC USA. I think that because the banks are 'connected' that you may be able to transfer your canadian credit score to your US account. I am not sure on this, but it may well be worth making an appt at an RBC branch to check it out.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

so next weekend the hubster volunteered to help out at another warehouse in Modesto.. it will be the longest we have ever been apart since I moved here.. It will only be one or two nights but it will still feel strange...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Ever had a dream so vivid that your mind can't discern the dream from reality? I had one last night, and I can only recall one detail about the dream, which was that I bought an iPad and something else. All I can really remember is that I realized how much I had spent (in the dream) and woke up in the midst of a panic attack because I had spent my rent money on an iPad. I had a good laugh after I realized what was going on, but quite an odd position to find yourself waking up to.

hiya canadians, my husband mentioned that he would like to go to canada (abstract request) i have only been to vancouver area and was thinking toronto or montreal in october. can anyone give me some insight as to what is cool about either city? thank you for any tips/suggestions!!!

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ever had a dream so vivid that your mind can't discern the dream from reality? I had one last night, and I can only recall one detail about the dream, which was that I bought an iPad and something else. All I can really remember is that I realized how much I had spent (in the dream) and woke up in the midst of a panic attack because I had spent my rent money on an iPad. I had a good laugh after I realized what was going on, but quite an odd position to find yourself waking up to.

:lol: Nice!!

Bill and I spent a night at the Hyatt in downtown Denver last weekend, and I woke up at 7am Saturday morning and freaked out because I thought I was gong to be late for work and I didn't know where I was. It only took a couple seconds for me to figure it out, but I think I was having a dream that I was sleeping at home, if that makes any sense. I had a dream I was sleeping.

Hi Kang Lang! Both cities are very different but are great places to visit. It really depends on what you and your husband like to do, and what you are interested in seeing and doing. Do you have a general idea of what you might want to do?

Timeline

I'm not on twitter but we have a VJ Canada facebook group if you're a facebooker! Visa journey Canada

Joined!! Will post my intro later on, either tonight or this weekend.

Followed! :) I'm @bluejacketsbabe

Oh, so I was wondering (sorry if this has been talked about before) if anyone who is in the States celebrates Canadian Thanksgiving? My husband and I did last year and we had a lot of fun! We've actually decided to make it an annual thing and we invite our friends over and have our own Thanksgiving dinner! It's nice because Kyle gets to celebrate the holiday when he would at home (although it's not necessarily on actual Thanksgiving day, usually on the weekend since we don't have the time off on Monday) and we get to celebrate Thanksgiving with one of the biggest things to be thankful for - our friends! Just wanted to know if anyone else did something like this or any other Canadian holidays or traditions after moving here.

Followed!! I'm "pauley" on Twitter and on Facebook.

We don't have a firmly established tradition on Thanksgiving yet, but in the past few years we've celebrated both by way of joining our respective families on the appropriate dates - we spent Canadian Thanksgiving with Yvonne's family and American Thanksgiving with mine.

Pauley on Twitter

Pauley on Facebook

Wedding photos on Flickr

*** If you add me on Twitter or Facebook from here, let me know who you are so I don't ignore/block you out-of-hand 'cause I don't recognize you! :)

Hi Kang Lang! Both cities are very different but are great places to visit. It really depends on what you and your husband like to do, and what you are interested in seeing and doing. Do you have a general idea of what you might want to do?

Hi HB, well now i added the possibility of Quebec, I love old archictecture, we both love "walking cities" he's a bit of a foodie we both love sports. basically it's a short 4-5 day jaunt for the heck of it and our anniversary.

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Out of the three choices you have suggested - and all of them are good - I think you might find Quebec City especially attractive if you like old architecture and 'walking' cities. (Both Montreal and Toronto have some great architecture as well, though, and have areas that are good for 'walking tours'). Quebec City very much has a flavour of a European city and it is one of the oldest cities in North America. You can probably find some good useful information if you go to the Chamber of Commerce/Tourism sites for each of the cities you've suggested - but as a special anniversary visit - I suspect you would really enjoy Quebec City. If you plan on visiting later in October be prepared to bring some warm clothes with you as it is definitely late fall by then.

My personal preference order would be Quebec City, Montreal and Toronto.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Our short 2 night stay in Boston has come to an end! Fun city with a pile of history. Highly recommend this company for the trolley: http://historictours.com/boston/ They throw in the 2nd day for free (others do that as well) as well u get a free 45 min harbor cruise (Others do that too,lol) But what I liked about them, is that if the trolley is full, the operator phones in another trolley, so ur waiting for trolleys is a minimum!! He said they have empty trolleys at the ready!!

Must sees are the Walking tour of Fenway park, very cool and we loved the Blue Man Show!! One can get cheaper tickets at http://www.bostix.org/ not sure if u can get the blue man group cheaper online, you may have to go in person to 1 of their booths! The best seats are probably the ones closer to the stage, we had front row, centre, balcony, and they were very good, we paid $34.50 + $5.50 service charge for a ticket! Freedom trial has lots of history to be had!!! Fanueil Hall Area is cool and ful of tacky little stores as well as Buskers perform there. Some were very good, some were lacking,lol I actually got suckerd into helping 1 busker out,lol He made a joke about Canadians, so I said "Hey be nice" he stated he would juggle slower for me,lol and then later in his show, I actually got up in fron tof everyone--along with another dude, and pretty much just made asses out of us in a funny way!

Boston is a fun city, find it weird how many things didn't open until 10, then shut down at 5pm, ie the trolleys, harbour cruises. Was a good visit.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I was looking for a nanny job through Craigslist ..

I have found two ads that are basically going to pay the person about $4 an hour and this is to take care of young children.. :o

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

holy hannah.. this one will pay about $4.50/hour for a 2 yr old and my 3 1/2 year old and she also says this in the ad..

I am offering bonuses every month when I see that my kids show improvement in Math, science, reading, language, or writing skills, I believe hard work should be compensated.

:blink:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

haha she can babysit MY kids and pay me for her cheap price! lol although in canada it is about 3-4 dollars an hour

Edited by Canadiandggal

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Timeline

haha she can babysit MY kids and pay me for her cheap price! lol although in canada it is about 3-4 dollars an hour

I think at my last babysitting job in Canada I was making about 6 bucks an hour but my cost of living was a lot lower in Canada then it is here in the LA area... here the normal rate is about 10 bucks an hour...

what gets me about that ad besides the rate is that a 2 and 3 year old are expected to be learning all that stuff :unsure:

I can understand paying that much to a teenager or something if you want to go out for the evening but this job is for 24 to 30 hours a week

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

well minimum wage in Canada, ontario is now 10 bucks too. Yeah i know what you mean, I cannot find a babysitter where the hubby lives for 4 bucks an hour and we are talking about a teenager coming over to watch the kids

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.