peejay

Growing ranks of long-term jobless face tough odds

44 posts in this topic

The one time I was laid off, it was good for a max of 6 months and I thought that was a long time.I collected for a few weeks until I found a temporary job.... making far less than normal.. but an honest living earning money to pay my bills...... There is no way that the unemployment system is in the black or will be for a long time...

99 weeks is so close to two years its obscene... We are so over regulated that those people whom are out of work are so limited in what they can do to earn money... what incentive is there for people to look for work in the first 6 months if they can get the $ for over a year....

Like someone said in another topic.. "Free money"... no wonder why people stop paying mortgages and dont look for ways to earn money...

At 10% unemployed and 20% underemployed, I highly doubt anyone will walk into any job anytime soon.

The belief [opinion] that people will want to stay slackers is not reality. Had it been true, Australia's unemployed who receive more in unemployment benefits [indefinitely] than someone working 40 hour weeks on minimum wage here, would stay on the dole. Ironically their unemployment rate is now 5%. Furthermore, they don't report US style and fudge the figures. That is, they include the long term unemployed in their rate; whereas, the US drops them off.

What you've seen a few people do doesn't equal what everyone does, Scott.

But it's easy to sit back and size up everyone else when the situation doesn't apply to you. What is it they say - if you've got a job or income, there's no recession for you!

But........there is karma.

It's a cold day in hell but I agree with Johnny here on this specific point.

Edited by Booyah!

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

:lol:

Yeah, there's barely an evil brown border-jumper within a hundred mile radius of where we live. Yet the unemployment rate is still over 9%.

Strange. I wonder how that can be?

Certainly not the case up here. It's a game of where's wally trying to find a AA, Caucasian or Asian doing blue-collar work here. Yep, even in this economy.

What where you just telling Scott about specific experiences not counting? :whistle:

Anyways, what would I know coming from one of the most robust economies in the world - in this crisis. An economy that pretty-much every single international monetary fund has commended. Surely a Floridan, pretty-much foreclosure capital of America, can enlighten me to what affect illegals have. Carry on oh wise one. You really showed Peejay with the evil brown comment. How will he even reply to that?

Edited by Booyah!

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Certainly not the case up here. It's a game of where's wally trying to find a AA, Caucasian or Asian doing blue-collar work here. Yep, even in this economy.

What where you just telling Scott about specific experiences not counting? :whistle:

Anyways, what would I know coming from one of the most robust economies in the world - in this crisis. An economy that pretty-much every single international monetary fund has commended. Surely a Floridan, pretty-much foreclosure capital of America, can enlighten me to what affect illegals have. Carry on oh wise one. You really showed Peejay with the evil brown comment. How will he even reply to that?

You don't know very much about the travels and adventures of the intrepid Jonny Quest, do you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT0rzDGJ6vc

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

You don't know very much about the travels and adventures of the intrepid Jonny Quest, do you?

I am just amazed your post wasn't you hate evil brown people in nature.

I am just amazed your post wasn't you hate evil brown people in nature.

Why? That's a moronic way to speak to people.

Why? That's a moronic way to speak to people.

So why do you do it so often then?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

At 10% unemployed and 20% underemployed, I highly doubt anyone will walk into any job anytime soon.

The belief [opinion] that people will want to stay slackers is not reality. Had it been true, Australia's unemployed who receive more in unemployment benefits [indefinitely] than someone working 40 hour weeks on minimum wage here, would stay on the dole. Ironically their unemployment rate is now 5%. Furthermore, they don't report US style and fudge the figures. That is, they include the long term unemployed in their rate; whereas, the US drops them off.

It's a cold day in hell but I agree with Johnny here on this specific point.

I was hit hard by the recession in the late 80's early 90's... this is my Karma... I lost my business as a result of that downturn and worked 3 jobs to get back to where I was before and now I think I am reaping the rewards for my hard work...

I see illegals as many here call them (people with undocumented presence) all of the time here where I live... A former relative actually revealed to me that he has over 50% undocumented workers... IMO driven by sheer greed on his part... He has a deal with a check cashing place and he writes the check cashing place a check every week and writes it off as some form of expense and then he pays the workers cash and deducts a check cashing fee from thier pay... No taxes are paid on the salaries of the workers... they get free healthcare along with so many other benefits (school etc)... By allowing these undocumented workers to work (cutting grass in my example) they provide an unfare competitive advantage for the one company and other will need to do the same to remain competitive... thus driving legit competiton out of the market and limiting entry of others into the market... those that say the undocumented workers are doing jobs that USC's wont do are out of touch with reality..many USC's would love to do the job.. as self employed individuals and compete in a market.. but they cant compete with someone who is hiring workers and paying them below minimum wage... The same thing happens in restaurants all over in my area...

Florida is #1 in the country for claims that employers have failed to pay an employee a fair wage... it is becoming very common for employers to cut costs by hiring undocumented workers and even failing to pay legit employees... some really shady business people here IMO... and they are getting away with it... the next step for the employee is unemployment...

Our local economy has been more affected by regulation and codes preventing capitalism and small business... than anything else... On yesterdays news they discussed the fact that the city government, of a city near me, refused to allow a man to open a subway in a downtown building... he final swayed the vote and it is now being allowed... one side.. we dont want another subway in our city.... the other side... let the market decide what they want.. not the city leaders... This same concept prevents those out of work folks from starting a new business and generating revenues...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

So why do you do it so often then?

I don't.

I was hit hard by the recession in the late 80's early 90's... this is my Karma... I lost my business as a result of that downturn and worked 3 jobs to get back to where I was before and now I think I am reaping the rewards for my hard work...

I see illegals as many here call them (people with undocumented presence) all of the time here where I live... A former relative actually revealed to me that he has over 50% undocumented workers... IMO driven by sheer greed on his part... He has a deal with a check cashing place and he writes the check cashing place a check every week and writes it off as some form of expense and then he pays the workers cash and deducts a check cashing fee from thier pay... No taxes are paid on the salaries of the workers... they get free healthcare along with so many other benefits (school etc)... By allowing these undocumented workers to work (cutting grass in my example) they provide an unfare competitive advantage for the one company and other will need to do the same to remain competitive... thus driving legit competiton out of the market and limiting entry of others into the market... those that say the undocumented workers are doing jobs that USC's wont do are out of touch with reality..many USC's would love to do the job.. as self employed individuals and compete in a market.. but they cant compete with someone who is hiring workers and paying them below minimum wage... The same thing happens in restaurants all over in my area...

Florida is #1 in the country for claims that employers have failed to pay an employee a fair wage... it is becoming very common for employers to cut costs by hiring undocumented workers and even failing to pay legit employees... some really shady business people here IMO... and they are getting away with it... the next step for the employee is unemployment...

Our local economy has been more affected by regulation and codes preventing capitalism and small business... than anything else... On yesterdays news they discussed the fact that the city government, of a city near me, refused to allow a man to open a subway in a downtown building... he final swayed the vote and it is now being allowed... one side.. we dont want another subway in our city.... the other side... let the market decide what they want.. not the city leaders... This same concept prevents those out of work folks from starting a new business and generating revenues...

You didn't learn much then did you?

Don't get too cocky there mate. This is America. What you have today can be ripped out from under you tomorrow by another vulture.

Timeline

I learned plenty then.. Thats why I am in the situation I am in now... good.gif I am too diversified to lose everything again... In both my assets as well as my incomes... its not cocky.. its just educated.. I know not to put all my eggs in one basket and to work as hard as I can all of the time... work may dry up for periods of time in certain sectors..

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

I learned plenty then.. Thats why I am in the situation I am in now... good.gif I am too diversified to lose everything again... In both my assets as well as my incomes... its not cocky.. its just educated.. I know not to put all my eggs in one basket and to work as hard as I can all of the time... work may dry up for periods of time in certain sectors..

You don't seem to have learned any humility.

You didn't learn much then did you?

Don't get too cocky there mate. This is America. What you have today can be ripped out from under you tomorrow by another vulture.

Agreed there.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

good.gif

I also agree with what John is saying here.

It is ok to educate yourself and possibly help others but always beware.

sharks everywhere looking.

I also agree you are diversifing your investments to protect yourself but it is not a gaurantee.

I am far from being wealthy, smart or intuitive but I am hard working, loyal and take intiative to get the job done. (btw even that doesn't gauantee my job)

I just don't understand how anyone still advocates for the sink or swim - winner takes all - approach in America. Realistically, where has it gotten the country and the majority of its citizens? Certainly has not delivered prosperity for most. I guess it's why you guys like gambling so much [all or nothing], because at the end of the day, that is what you are doing.

Whereas, not one person I know in AUS who is worth well into the millions, advocates that they get rid of all safety nets - like indefinite unemployment benefits. Even in a country where people don't play hard or gamble with their life savings, bad times [bad luck] can strike at any time.

What many don't realize with the winner takes all approach is that there is one winner, any the rest are left empty handed. Many here have this erroneous ingrained delusion that they will be the winner and not the person left with nothing.

Edited by Booyah!

Timeline

Thats your opinion.. I am far from arrogant... Your opinion is based on insufficient knowledge of me or my personlaity.. What I posted here about my investments is something that few know about me or would think if they met me... The families that live around me and benefit from the free produce from my Garden would disagree with your perception... as would a great many others...