returningVJ

met with an attorney yesterday...

30 posts in this topic

Hi All,

can some one give me some thoughts. i met a 25 years eaperienced immigration attorney yesterday, regarding filling the I-751 separately. according to him its a lengthy and tough process which takes around 2-3 years. and this got me thinking... most what i heard in this forum is that its a matter of months even though i can remember some one else mentioning that his attorney said the same thing.

on one hand it makes me feel like he was scaring me to make sure im going to go through him. on the other hand may be he is right.

below is all what i have as evidence.

1. Joint bank accounts

2. joint medical insuarance from my employer

3. joint dental insuarance from my employer

4. Joint tax filling for 2005

Hi All,

can some one give me some thoughts. i met a 25 years eaperienced immigration attorney yesterday, regarding filling the I-751 separately. according to him its a lengthy and tough process which takes around 2-3 years. and this got me thinking... most what i heard in this forum is that its a matter of months even though i can remember some one else mentioning that his attorney said the same thing.

on one hand it makes me feel like he was scaring me to make sure im going to go through him. on the other hand may be he is right.

1. Joint bank accounts (savings and checking)

5. some pictures of the trips

6. rent checks signed by her but my name printed on the check. ( we dont have a joint lease, because it was signed before i got my SSN)

7. email from her saying that she (USC) doesn't want to continue the marriage

8. couple of chat tarnscripts with my in-laws where they tell me that they got to know about the current cituation and offering me support, and also explaining that they were trying to advice her why she shouldn't quite.

apart from these i might be able to get an affadavit or two from my in-laws stating that i was commited to the marriage and all that.

but also another important thing is unfortunately the job i got after coming here (2 months after coming here) had sending me to clients every where and had to do lot of travelling on work. so i didnt get to live full time on my address but i was coming home atleast every two weeks for the week end. (BTW which i believed caused all this)

based on these can some one give me some thoughts, the lawyer i met said its going to be a tough case but he didnt bother asking what kinda evidence i have with me. he was holding on to the fact that i was travelling alot and when ur married you are supposed to live together full time. but all the people whom i work with get to go home only in the week end. please give me some thoughts

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I too am currently doing the Removal of Conditions and I would never consider using a lawyer to do it. It is the simplest step in the whole immigration process, as far as I am concerned.

Check the online processing dates for the Service Centre that you will be going through to file your I-751 to see how long they are taking to process.

You will receive a notice in the mail after your application has been received which extends your GC for one year while processing of the I-751 is taking place. Normally, processing is complete within one year max from what I hear.

I am sending everything you mentioned, as well as:

- Copy of the Deed Title for our home (in both our names)

- Copy of our Tax Statement for our bank account (joint account)

- Copy of joint vehicle insurance documents for both our vehicles

- Copy of the title of both our vehicles, showing joint ownership

- Copy of our joint Discover credit card (and Sears account as well)

You can also send letters from friends stating that they have witnessed your relationship as a bona fide marriage.

Good luck for a speedy approval.

EDIT: Sorry.... just read that you are no longer with your spouse.... missed that in my first reading. Ignore this post.

Edited by raymaga

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Timeline
Hi All,

1. Joint bank accounts (savings and checking)

5. some pictures of the trips

6. rent checks signed by her but my name printed on the check. ( we dont have a joint lease, because it was signed before i got my SSN)

7. email from her saying that she (USC) doesn't want to continue the marriage

8. couple of chat tarnscripts with my in-laws where they tell me that they got to know about the current cituation and offering me support, and also explaining that they were trying to advice her why she shouldn't quite.

apart from these i might be able to get an affadavit or two from my in-laws stating that i was commited to the marriage and all that.

but also another important thing is unfortunately the job i got after coming here (2 months after coming here) had sending me to clients every where and had to do lot of travelling on work. so i didnt get to live full time on my address but i was coming home atleast every two weeks for the week end. (BTW which i believed caused all this)

based on these can some one give me some thoughts, the lawyer i met said its going to be a tough case but he didnt bother asking what kinda evidence i have with me. he was holding on to the fact that i was travelling alot and when ur married you are supposed to live together full time. but all the people whom i work with get to go home only in the week end. please give me some thoughts

I'm not sure how to react to your atorney's suggestion that removing conditions with a waiver is a tough process. Perhaps there's something to do with the length of the marriage that is creating this sense. Typically, if you have eveidence of a bona fide marriage, which it appears you do, then the waiver process is not all that complicated. I notice that your tax return evidence is dated 2005. How long after receiving your conditional green card did the marriage terminate in divorce?

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I personally don't think you need an attorney either.

The evidence you have is what we had, we never had a problem at all with removing conditions. Plus my job also means I travel alot and wasn't always home with my wife.

I say just go for it, especially as you have those affadavits from in laws too.

I'm not sure how to react to your atorney's suggestion that removing conditions with a waiver is a tough process. Perhaps there's something to do with the length of the marriage that is creating this sense. Typically, if you have eveidence of a bona fide marriage, which it appears you do, then the waiver process is not all that complicated. I notice that your tax return evidence is dated 2005. How long after receiving your conditional green card did the marriage terminate in divorce?

Thank you so much for your response..

I have been married little over 2 years now and its been 1 year now from my conditional green card. but the divorce is not started yet. (process is not initiated) despite all the attempts to make thing work it seems inevitable. so im taking precautionary messures, its always good to know little in advance if i have to start packing ;)

thanks again.

I have been married little over 2 years now and its been 1 year now from my conditional green card. but the divorce is not started yet. (process is not initiated) despite all the attempts to make thing work it seems inevitable. so im taking precautionary messures, its always good to know little in advance if i have to start packing ;)

thanks again.

Ah, so in approximately 9 months you should be removing the conditions? You should be aware that you will need a final divorce decree in order to file the waiver (and can file the waiver as soon as you have the decree, even if before the filing time) and if you jointly file the I-751 in the meantime and then later divorce before the jointly-filed application has been adjudictaed, the jointly filed I-751 would then need to be withdrawn and replaced with a waiver. In that regard, and please don't take my response as advocating termination of a marriage unless it is clearly inevitable and you are sure your wife and you will not be able to repair the marriage, but you need to be either divorced or in a sustaining marriage where your wife will be willing to jointly file before the deadline. Good luck.

"diaddie mermaid"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

thanks again.

Sounds like the lawyer is hyping his fee, if you do not want to fiy see some others.

Nothing can be done before a divorce. Apart from collect evidence.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

thanks again.

I wonder how to file a waiver? I had CGC but my husband and i got divorce.. As you said i dont need to wait for my CGC 90 days to expires before i apply my I-751, I have my divorce decree now and I really dont know where to start, my CGC expires on 2008... I dont have much my evidence because we been living separate house lately and we do not have bank accounts or my name in his house. I dont know if i have a chance to be approve by removing my condition alone .

Ah, so in approximately 9 months you should be removing the conditions? You should be aware that you will need a final divorce decree in order to file the waiver (and can file the waiver as soon as you have the decree, even if before the filing time) and if you jointly file the I-751 in the meantime and then later divorce before the jointly-filed application has been adjudictaed, the jointly filed I-751 would then need to be withdrawn and replaced with a waiver. In that regard, and please don't take my response as advocating termination of a marriage unless it is clearly inevitable and you are sure your wife and you will not be able to repair the marriage, but you need to be either divorced or in a sustaining marriage where your wife will be willing to jointly file before the deadline. Good luck.

I'm not sure how to react to your attorney's suggestion that removing conditions with a waiver is a tough process. Perhaps there's something to do with the length of the marriage that is creating this sense. Typically, if you have eveidence of a bona fide marriage, which it appears you do, then the waiver process is not all that complicated. I notice that your tax return evidence is dated 2005. How long after receiving your conditional green card did the marriage terminate in divorce?

I wonder how to file a waiver? I had CGC but my husband and i got divorce.. As you said i dont need to wait for my CGC 90 days to expires before i apply my I-751, I have my divorce decree now and I really dont know where to start, my CGC expires on 2008... I dont have much my evidence because we been living separate house lately and we do not have bank accounts or my name in his house. I dont know if i have a chance to be approve by removing my condition alone .

You can file the I-751 now and send a copy of the divorce decree along with all the evidence of the bona fide marriage. The form requires that you tick a box, indicating that you are self-petitioning on the basis of a genuine marriage that terminated in divorce or annulment.

thanks again.

You support your waiver with all documentation from the date you married until the filing date of the waiver, that will corroborate that you entered into the marriage with the intent to co-mingle your social and financial lives. USCIS recognises that once separated the financial element will not be joint. Supply what you already have together, Good luck!

.......aside from reconciliation ;)

Edited by diadromous mermaid

"diaddie mermaid"

thanks again.

Thedora,

You can file the I-751 now and send a copy of the divorce decree along with all the evidence of the bona fide marriage. The form requires that you tick a box, indicating that you are self-petitioning on the basis of a genuine marriage that terminated in divorce or annulment.

You support your waiver with all documentation from the date you married until the filing date of the waiver, that will corroborate that you entered into the marriage with the intent to co-mingle your social and financial lives. USCIS recognises that once separated the financial element will not be joint. Supply what you already have together, Good luck!

"diaddie mermaid"

Thedora,

what kind of evidence are you hoping to pull together for I-751?

Im thinking of keeping the table open till december, unless she files for a divorce before that. i heard that it only takes like 2-3 months for a divorce to get finalized. is this true or could it be much longer? and is there a difference in who files for the divorce? right now i dont see things working out unless some miracle is going to happen. cuz she doesnt even want to talk to me. on one hand it feels like she is in some other relationship or planning to get in to another relationship and eager to clearout things.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I'm not sure how to react to your attorney's suggestion that removing conditions with a waiver is a tough process. Perhaps there's something to do with the length of the marriage that is creating this sense. Typically, if you have eveidence of a bona fide marriage, which it appears you do, then the waiver process is not all that complicated. I notice that your tax return evidence is dated 2005. How long after receiving your conditional green card did the marriage terminate in divorce?

D

thanks again.

.......aside from reconciliation ;)

Point taken.

Divorce is a State issue, see a Divorce lawyer for your State.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

It was a lawyer from my county who told me there is a re-conciliation period of 2 months and it should be

a matter of 2-3 months. but right now im kinda not have any faith on the lawyers ;)

anyways is there any difference in who takes the divorce ??

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.