ValerieA

Recipe Thread

161 posts in this topic

My totally awesome, never-fail Yorkshire Pudding recipe (previously published somewhere in the UK forum back in the mists of time)

3/4 cup flour (do not use self-raising)

1/2 tsp salt

2 large eggs

1 cup milk (I use full-fat milk)

4 tbsp oil (I use vegetable -- olive oil is probably too strong a flavour though might produce an interesting result!)

Beat flour, salt, eggs, milk together until very smooth, scraping bowl occasionally. Let stand for at least 30 mins; ideally refrigerate for up to 2 hours. Heat oven to 450F*.

Measure oil into 8in cake tin (you can also use cupcake/muffin tins for mini Yorkies). Heat for 2 minutes. Pour batter into pan and bake for 20-30 minutes. Do not open door.

Serve immediately.

*It is totally possible to cook at a lower temp -- I did mine at350F for about 30mins, then blasted it at 450 for 10 more mins and it was awesome. This is particularly useful when you are roasting something at a lower temp than 450 but need to get the pudding going at the same time.

Edited by elmcitymaven

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Lasagne

1 box lasagne noodles

1 tbsp. oil

1/4 c. minced onion

1 lb ground beef

1 clove garlic

3/4 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. pepper

1/4 tsp. oregano

1 - 28 oz. canned, diced tomatoes

1 - 8 oz. can tomato sauce

16 oz. Mozzarella cheese, grated

16 oz. cottage cheese

1/3 c. Parmesan cheese, grated

Boil lasagne noodles in salted water to cover; drain and cover with cold water if not be used immediately.

Brown onion slightly in oil, add meat and brown. Add next 6 ingredients and simmer until thick (approx. 30 min.).

Mix 1/2 of the Mozzarella with the cottage cheese and Parmesan cheese (use real Parmesan, not the kind that comes already grated in a can, it makes a huge difference).

In a casserole dish, arrange 1/2 of the meat sauce. Cover with strips of lasagne. Spoon the cheese mixture over and smooth to cover noodles. Cover with strips of lasagne. Arrange other half of meat sauce over top, and cover with lasagne. Cover with the other half of the grated Mozzarella - I tend to add a few tbsp. of Parmesan at this stage too.

Bake 30 min. at 375.

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Benin
Timeline

BREAD PUDDING

--6 slices of bread

--2 tbsp butter

--2 cups of milk

--4 eggs

--1/2 cup of sugar

--Vanilla essence.

Grease baking dish. Line it with bread slices. Pour melted butter over it. Mix milk, eggs, sugar and essence and then pour over the bread. Let the bread soak up the mixture and then bake at 350F for 45 minutes.

Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.

:)

STOP! You are killing me. I'm drowning in drool. But you forgot the whiskey sauce. And the pecans.

AOS Timeline

4/14/10 - Packet received at Chicago Lockbox at 9:22 AM (Day 1)

4/24/10 - Received hardcopy NOAs (Day 10)

5/14/10 - Biometrics taken. (Day 31)

5/29/10 - Interview letter received 6/30 at 10:30 (Day 46)

6/30/10 - Interview: 10:30 (Day 77) APPROVED!!!

6/30/10 - EAD received in the mail

7/19/10 - GC in hand! (Day 96) .

Yeah, I can see where this thread will be bad for my hips. helpsmilie.gif

Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hare pie

ingredients

150 g (6 oz) shortcrust or puff pastry

1 hare, jointed

4 oz (100 g) bacon, diced

salt and pepper

200 g (8 oz) onions, chopped

3 tablespoons redcurrant jelly

6 prunes, chopped (optional)

1/2 stick (4 Tbsp) 2 oz (50 g) butter

1/2 cup (50 g) 2 oz flour, sifted

1 pint (600 ml) stock

1 glass port

bouquet garni

method

1. Fry the bacon and onions in a little of the butter and set aside.

2. Roll the joints of hare in seasoned flour and brown in butter.

3. Add with the prunes to the bacon and onions, and pour over the stock.

4. Adjust the seasoning and put in the bouquet garni.

5. Stir until the sauce reaches boiling point, then reduce the heat and simmer for an hour.

6. Transfer the hare and sauce to a deep pie dish and add the port.

7. Add a little redcurrant jelly if the sauce is not thick enough.

8. Roll out the pastry, putting a strip around the top of the dish, put on the lid, glaze and bake at 220°C, 425°F, mark 7 until the pastry is golden brown, about 30 - 35 minutes.

http://www.cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-025o08.html

That's what I was talking about. What did you think that I was talking about? You people have sick minds, shame, shame. :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Benin
Timeline

Jambalaya on the fly

Rice

tomato sauce

Tony's or any Cajun spice mix (if you can't get Tony's use cayenne, salt, pepper, garlic powder, whatever you want.)

onions

celery

Any sausage as long as it is NOT Asian or too Italian, sliced into 1/2 inch slices (If you can get Cajun sausage, definitely go with that, but I never could overseas or out of state.)

Chicken (cut into bite-sized pieces before or after cooking)

Saute onions and celery in a sauce pan big enough for your purpose. Add chicken and sausage until cooked through. Add spices. Add rice and tomato sauce to taste. Add enough water to make up the difference, plus a little more. Stir. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover and turn down heat. Cook for 20 minutes.

This is usually the kind of recipe I use.

Edited by GabiandVi

AOS Timeline

4/14/10 - Packet received at Chicago Lockbox at 9:22 AM (Day 1)

4/24/10 - Received hardcopy NOAs (Day 10)

5/14/10 - Biometrics taken. (Day 31)

5/29/10 - Interview letter received 6/30 at 10:30 (Day 46)

6/30/10 - Interview: 10:30 (Day 77) APPROVED!!!

6/30/10 - EAD received in the mail

7/19/10 - GC in hand! (Day 96) .

Timeline

These are yummy!!

"Whatever Floats Your Boat" Brownies!

* 1/2 cup butter, melted

* 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa

* 1 cup sugar

* 2 eggs

* 2 teaspoons vanilla

* 1/2 cup flour

* 1/4 teaspoon salt

* 1/2 to 1 cup chocolate chips (semisweet, white, butterscotch, peanut butter) or raisins or chopped maraschino cherry or chopped nuts or M&M' or Reese's pieces or miniature marshmallow or whatever floats your boat...

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. Grease an 8 inch square pan or line with foil.

3. In a medium bowl combine melted butter and cocoa and stir until cocoa is dissolved.

4. Add sugar and mix well.

5. Add eggs one at a time and stir until well combined.

6. Stir in vanilla, flour and salt until you no longer see any flour (do not overmix).

7. Fold in "WHATEVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT"!

8. Spread in pan and bake for approximately 25 minutes.

9. DO NOT OVER-BAKE -- your brownies will come out dry. Adjust time/temp accordingly for your oven. If you do the knife/toothpick test, it should come out with moist crumbs, not clean.

10. Cool completely before cutting into squares.

11. For vegetarian omit the marshmallows.

12. For double recipe, bake in 9x12 pan.

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

BREAD PUDDING

--6 slices of bread

--2 tbsp butter

--2 cups of milk

--4 eggs

--1/2 cup of sugar

--Vanilla essence.

Grease baking dish. Line it with bread slices. Pour melted butter over it. Mix milk, eggs, sugar and essence and then pour over the bread. Let the bread soak up the mixture and then bake at 350F for 45 minutes.

Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.

:)

OOH - I LOVE bread pudding - have to make this - and of course, I'm going to add raisins and apples just because I can :P

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

How about a good buns recipe? I am really getting into making my own bread; I really dislike what you get in the stores here, and don't want to pay over $3 at a bakery. Added into that is there is no bakery really close to me.

Love the Yorkshire Pudding recipe, definitely going to use that one. My Grandma always made these, in muffin tins - but we called them popovers. Bread pudding I have never had, but I will certainly try it, along with all the other recipes! good.gif

Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Timeline

I have made this recipe a few times.. you can form the dough into buns if you want to and I like brushing the bread with some butter after it comes out of the oven

Cream Cheese Yeast Bread (Bread Machine) Recipe

1 1/2 lb loaf

* 1/2 cup water

* 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened

* 2 tablespoons melted butter

* 1 beaten egg

* 4 tablespoons sugar

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 3 cups bread flour

* 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

1. Place the ingredients in the pan in the order as suggested by your bread machine manufacturer.

2. Process on dough cycle.

3. Remove from machine, form into a loaf and place in greased 9x5 loaf pan.

4. Cover and let rise until doubled.

5. Bake in a 350° oven for approximately 35 minutes.

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Got any secret recipes for martinis to be served in Tupperware, Val? :lol:

Early and often!!! biggrin.gif

Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Timeline

these are good too... I just brush them with butter though

Honey Yeast Rolls

1 (1/4 oz) package fast rising yeast (2 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast)

1 cup warm water (105°-115° F)

1/4 cup honey

3 tablespoon canola oil

1 1/2 teaspoon salt

1 egg, lightly beaten

4 cups bread flour, separated

cooking spray or oil

1 tablespoon butter, melted

1 tablespoon honey

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the yeast and warm water. Add the honey, oil, salt, and egg and mix well. Add 3 cups of the flour and mix until the dough comes together in a sticky mass. With the mixer on low speed, add the remaining 1 cup flour and mix until it is incorporated into the dough. Switch to the dough hook, and continue kneading on low speed until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.

Form the dough into a ball and transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, turning once to coat. Cover the bowl with a damp kitchen towel and let the dough rise in a warm, draft-free spot until it doubles in bulk, about 2 hours.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 30 seconds. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.

Punch the dough down and divide into 12 - 14 equal portions. Shape each portion into a ball. Place into two round, lightly greased cake pans, spacing evenly. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for 20 minutes. Bake at 400° for 13-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Mix together the melted butter and honey. Five minutes into baking, brush the butter/honey mixture on top of rolls. Serve warm or at room temperature.

mvSuprise-hug.gif