Captain Ewok

Updates to VJ: Notes on things changed

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

I made several updates to the site in the last day. Here they are just for notes and for the record (in case I goofed up anything!):

VJ Timeline:

~15 records with wrong dates fixed

VJ News:

Filing location update from USCIS posted

VJ Visa FAQ's:

Section 3.2.1 on copies of original documents updated to read,

3.2.1)...Do I have to send in my original birth

certificate, passport, or Naturalization certificate?

A....Copies of these documents are sufficient for the initial petition.

You must be prepared to submit original documents only if USCIS (INS)

requests that you submit them (in response to a "Request for Evidence" or RFE.

Various typos fixed.

Section 3.2.8 has the following removed, and the text updated to note that only one biographic page is on the current G0325A (and needed):

Be sure to make four copies of the completed "Biographic Information" page to submit with the package.

Section 5.3 on 90 day EAD for K-1 revised to note the practicality (not really an option) and to clearly talk to the time frame in getting a SSN and then filing for an EAD with an AOS application.

Now states:

To work your fiance(e) will need to get an Employment Authorization Document. While a K-1 holder can technically obtain an EAD prior to getting married, the practical wait involved makes this option unfeasible (the validity of the EAD will expire before it can even be processed in most cases). Practically, a K-1 holder will need to wait until they file for Adjustment of Status (after getting married) and will co-file for an EAD (which should arrive on average within 90 days from the filing date. As a note, in

order to be employed, it is required to have a Social Security

Number which can be obtained by a K-1 holder after they arrive in the US (you should wait 10 days after entry to the US and no later than 10 days prior to the K-1 expiration date to go to the Social Security Office in your area to file for this; if you miss this time frame you must wait until after you are married and file for Adjustment of Status).

Section 8.2 updated to revise how you know when your permanent residency began.

Terms of Service revised (minor)

"Comparison" Page updated with latest times (http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare)

Example Form page "doc viewer" link fixed.

Edited by Captain Ewok

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Gracias, Admiral, si man. :thumbs:

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Seven or eight new embassy listing added to the site (embassy info pages). I also have had time to update the TOS Guidelines (see pinned topic) for moderators (to help them determine what to do given certain more serious offenses on the site). This will hopefully be a small step to improve consistency. I will be adding more help and examples to make the process more clear :).

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Timeline

Portals Page updated to allow filtering on additional forums.

Timeline

Timeline entry page updated to make more clear :). Was a bit "messy" before.

Timeline

Consulate Review Section Topics updated.

Timeline

FB Visa types and other added (were missing).

Timeline

visa types updated on the forums, reviews and timelines.

Timeline

VJ Main page (VisaJourney.com) now changes the main text on top if you are logged in. We have a lot of "new member" information for guests up there that for regular members can be "too much" and only serve to push down the information below it. I have revised the code so that members when logged in should have a shorted amount of text and be able to get to the content below it easier!

Small update but hopefully useful!

Guests see:

We are a community dedicated to providing general information and discussion to anyone considering or in the process of immigrating to the United States. Whether you are bringing a family member (K1, K3, IR-1 Visas, etc) or loved one to be with you, immigrating though the US Diversity Lottery or are considering moving to the US for any other reason such as Work or Study, you are welcome to join our community! VisaJourney is filled with people just like you who are going through or have been through the same thing. US immigration can be confusing however at VisaJourney you may find that talking to people in the same situation can often make things a bit easier!

If you are new to the site please take a look at some of our great features such as the Guides, FAQ's, Forums, Gallery, Example Forms and more. We provide a great array of useful information in filing your I-129f, I-130, I-134, I-485 and other USCIS and immigration forms. We encourage all members to seek a qualified immigration attorney as this site is no substitute for the valuable help and advice a good attorney can provide!

Once again, we both welcome and encourage you to become a member of our growing community! Share your experiences and relax here knowing you are not alone! Make sure that you also take the time to add your information to our Immigration Timeline section! -The Visajourney Family

Members see:

Welcome back Captain Ewok! We appreciate your membership at VisaJourney! Please feel free to drop by the Forums and say hello or to update everyone on how your immigration journey is going! As you step though your immigration process please take a few moments to visit our many helpful sections such as the Immigration Guides for useful information and tips. To track your case and get estimated approval dates you can visit the Immigration Timeline Section. Thank you again for being a part of our community! -The Visajourney Family

Timeline

Home page tweaked. New graphic. Main VisaJourney logo flag is a bit darker per some suggestions. Also some clarity on wording of the intro text. The Recent Immigration Discussions now include a "blank" avatar if members do not have one.

Timeline

Timeline profile view updated for visa categories to show better info. Also timeline "error" entries (bad dates) cleaned up. Estimated approval date algorithm tweaked... minor.

Timeline

Misc sections of VJ revised for new images. Portal page discussion use a "blank" avatar if members do not have one.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

A couple things. Pretty minor, but new people might be confused by it.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/ir1cr1historical

Under IR-1/CR-1 processing times, Step 3 graph says I-29F processing at NVC. Should say I-130 processing times at NVC.

Step 4 says Embassy K-3 Visa Processing Time (receives petition until issues visa)

NOTE: This is an average of all consulates (see IR1/CR1 stats page for more information)

I am looking at the IR1/CR1 stats page. K-3 should probably not be mentioned here.

I posted this under the bugs section awhile back.

Edited by daboyz

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!