Tmc225usc

Does Petitioner need to be at interview for CR2 applicant? Stuck in Bangkok

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello,

My wife and I traveled to Thailand on the 13th of May for a CR2 interview that was suppose to happen on the 17th of May. With all the bad things that happened in Bangkok that week, the embassy had been closed and just opened today once again.

I am the petitioner for the case and my wife (who came to the US on a K1 and has since gotten a Green Card) is the mother of the applicant which I sponsered so that she could join us in the US to live.

I original built in 2 weeks eztra on the trip in case there were problems. I did not anticipate the issues in Bangkok and now in 5 days it is time for us to fly home.

Im wondering if I as the petitioner need to be there for the interview? If not, I had planned on my wife staying behind in Thailand and going with our daugher (who is only 4 years old and doesnt speak english) to the interview whenever they schedule it once again.

The Embassy is no help. "Please email us and we will answer you back in 3 days" is the response I got back. If I call the switchboard, I get the same response.

I came out to Babgkok for my wife's K1 interview and it was completly not necessary for me to be there.

I wanted to make sure me leaving and returning back to the US wouldnt be a problem and that as long as my wife (the applicants natural mother who is a Thai citizen) was there with all the medical results and everything else paperwork wise, that we wouldnt run into a problem.

Ive been off work for almost 3 weeks because of this and Im worried I wont be able to miss more or there will be issues.

On the interview preparation email we got sent ages ago, it only lists our daughter as needing to be there for the appointment. But she doesnt speak english so she will need someone there to make sure all goes smoothly. I had planned on having both my wife and I there, but that might not be possible unless that is what has to happen.

Any advice or ideas of if we will be ok with me returning to the states are greatly appreciated.

Case Number: BNKXXXXXXXX

Principal Applicant Name: Daughter

Preference Category: CR2 - CONDITIONAL CHILD OF U.S. CITIZEN

Foreign State of Chargeability: THAILAND

10/03/13: N400 Sent to Dallas Service Center
10/11/13: Received
10/16/13: NOA
11/06/13: Biometrics
01/13/14: Passed Interview!
05/16/14: Oath Ceremony. Finally Finished!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Make sure you wife has proof of the relationship between you nad her as you as the USC are the one petitiong the child. I was not at the interview for the 2 boys when they had their interview in Colombia due to work. They asked only about the relationship between the father and I and that was it.

Good Luck

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

Timeline

Thank you for the quick response!

I brought along a certified copy of our marriage certificate as well as paperwork for when we filed for my wife's green card. I hope that will be enough.

I was just so worried Id get on a plane, and then have my wife and child stuck at the interview with them asking "and so where is he today?"

That would just be terrible.

Another question I had was: are 2 inch by 2 inch portraits different from passport photos?

On her interview checklist it mentions they received photos but then on the interview prep website it talks about having 2"x2" or 5x5cm photos as well.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello,

My wife and I traveled to Thailand on the 13th of May for a CR2 interview that was suppose to happen on the 17th of May. With all the bad things that happened in Bangkok that week, the embassy had been closed and just opened today once again.

I am the petitioner for the case and my wife (who came to the US on a K1 and has since gotten a Green Card) is the mother of the applicant which I sponsered so that she could join us in the US to live.

I original built in 2 weeks eztra on the trip in case there were problems. I did not anticipate the issues in Bangkok and now in 5 days it is time for us to fly home.

Im wondering if I as the petitioner need to be there for the interview? If not, I had planned on my wife staying behind in Thailand and going with our daugher (who is only 4 years old and doesnt speak english) to the interview whenever they schedule it once again.

The Embassy is no help. "Please email us and we will answer you back in 3 days" is the response I got back. If I call the switchboard, I get the same response.

I came out to Babgkok for my wife's K1 interview and it was completly not necessary for me to be there.

I wanted to make sure me leaving and returning back to the US wouldnt be a problem and that as long as my wife (the applicants natural mother who is a Thai citizen) was there with all the medical results and everything else paperwork wise, that we wouldnt run into a problem.

Ive been off work for almost 3 weeks because of this and Im worried I wont be able to miss more or there will be issues.

On the interview preparation email we got sent ages ago, it only lists our daughter as needing to be there for the appointment. But she doesnt speak english so she will need someone there to make sure all goes smoothly. I had planned on having both my wife and I there, but that might not be possible unless that is what has to happen.

Any advice or ideas of if we will be ok with me returning to the states are greatly appreciated.

Case Number: BNKXXXXXXXX

Principal Applicant Name: Daughter

Preference Category: CR2 - CONDITIONAL CHILD OF U.S. CITIZEN

Foreign State of Chargeability: THAILAND

At the time we got our daughters visa I was allowed to be inside the embassy & saw first hand how this is done. Dont worry, your wife will be there & she will have no problem getting the childs visa. She wont be at the window more than 10 minutes. Any questions to the child will be asked to be polite & nothing more. They will have a Thai staff member there if they want ask the child something but I doubt they will at 4 years old. Our daughter was 9 & they only asked if she was with her mother & if she was excited to go to the USA. She did not speak English at the time.

Your wife will be allowed at the interview & she will have no problems. You do not need to be there. It sounds like you have the documentation needed & that is what they will need to see to approve the visa.

Timeline

Thank you for the quick response!

I brought along a certified copy of our marriage certificate as well as paperwork for when we filed for my wife's green card. I hope that will be enough.

I was just so worried Id get on a plane, and then have my wife and child stuck at the interview with them asking "and so where is he today?"

That would just be terrible.

Another question I had was: are 2 inch by 2 inch portraits different from passport photos?

On her interview checklist it mentions they received photos but then on the interview prep website it talks about having 2"x2" or 5x5cm photos as well.

After reading this I am concerned that she may not have the correct documents for the child. Does the child have a passport? The father of the child will have to sign a letter allowing her to be taken from Thailand in some cases. The determining factor seems to be the time of seperation from the father & if he supported the child. My wife was asked these questions when we got the childs passport. They took her word for her explantion of the facts.

At the interview she was asked how long she had been seperated from the childs father. It is common in Thailand for people not to marry which can create some problems in this area of custody. My wife was asked if she had been married to the father at the passport office & at the interview.

If your wife needs help with these things pertaining to the child send me a P M & her phone number & my wife will call her asap.

Timeline

After reading this I am concerned that she may not have the correct documents for the child. Does the child have a passport? The father of the child will have to sign a letter allowing her to be taken from Thailand in some cases. The determining factor seems to be the time of seperation from the father & if he supported the child. My wife was asked these questions when we got the childs passport. They took her word for her explantion of the facts.

At the interview she was asked how long she had been seperated from the childs father. It is common in Thailand for people not to marry which can create some problems in this area of custody. My wife was asked if she had been married to the father at the passport office & at the interview.

If your wife needs help with these things pertaining to the child send me a P M & her phone number & my wife will call her asap.

Thank you for such quick responses Ning. You are always so helpful!

We do have a passport for the little one, and they did ask about the father when we received it. The Amphur in Udon Thani issued us 3 letters that basically say: (1)my wife never married the father. (2)Since birth, he as provided 0.0000000 % support of the child and has not been around, nor can be found (3) Then a general document with the village head as a witness saying the same things and that my wife in the eyes of the Amphur has sole custody of the child.

Im really hoping that works for the embassy if asked because short of spending years looking around Thailand for a ghost of a biological father, we cant really get anything better than those docs.

My wife is a bit worried about what they will ask or what the interview will be like. I will PM you her cell phone she has here in Thailand. Thank you very much for having your wife do that for us!

Timeline

Thank you for such quick responses Ning. You are always so helpful!

We do have a passport for the little one, and they did ask about the father when we received it. The Amphur in Udon Thani issued us 3 letters that basically say: (1)my wife never married the father. (2)Since birth, he as provided 0.0000000 % support of the child and has not been around, nor can be found (3) Then a general document with the village head as a witness saying the same things and that my wife in the eyes of the Amphur has sole custody of the child.

Im really hoping that works for the embassy if asked because short of spending years looking around Thailand for a ghost of a biological father, we cant really get anything better than those docs.

My wife is a bit worried about what they will ask or what the interview will be like. I will PM you her cell phone she has here in Thailand. Thank you very much for having your wife do that for us!

Its natural to be concerned but there will be no problem with this in my opinion. The embassy isnt going to require a ghost hunt; they have a lot of experiance with this type of situation.

The issuance of the passport will suffice. To get that they know the mother had to explain about the father. I was there as my wife went thru that & it was easier than I thought it might be. I got the idea that it was a common occurance.

I was also standing there with my wife & daughter at the interview. The officer was easiy to work with & very polite with both of them. My daughter was asked a couple of polite questions & the visa was issued. They did not question my wifes sole custody of the child. I think possession of the passport took care of that. They leave it up to Thailand to decide those issues it seems.

My people will call your people!

Its natural to be concerned but there will be no problem with this in my opinion. The embassy isnt going to require a ghost hunt; they have a lot of experiance with this type of situation.

The issuance of the passport will suffice. To get that they know the mother had to explain about the father. I was there as my wife went thru that & it was easier than I thought it might be. I got the idea that it was a common occurance.

I was also standing there with my wife & daughter at the interview. The officer was easiy to work with & very polite with both of them. My daughter was asked a couple of polite questions & the visa was issued. They did not question my wifes sole custody of the child. I think possession of the passport took care of that. They leave it up to Thailand to decide those issues it seems.

My people will call your people!

Hello All,

My husband petitioned my 6 year old daughter as well. After reading the posts I am getting little bit concerned. My child doesn't speak English either. During the interview is there any documents required/suggested to bring to prove daughter/father relationship? My husband visited me in my country several times and has met my child too, however I have no idea what kind of proof of relationship they would require for 6 year old child. I can provide all necessary documents to show that our marriage is valid and legal, but I don't know if consulate needs anything else.

Please advice,

Thanks in advance

Timeline

Hello All,

My husband petitioned my 6 year old daughter as well. After reading the posts I am getting little bit concerned. My child doesn't speak English either. During the interview is there any documents required/suggested to bring to prove daughter/father relationship? My husband visited me in my country several times and has met my child too, however I have no idea what kind of proof of relationship they would require for 6 year old child. I can provide all necessary documents to show that our marriage is valid and legal, but I don't know if consulate needs anything else.

Please advice,

Thanks in advance

There is no requirement to speak English. The relationship they want to know about concerning the child is to you not the step father. The fact that the child has a passport is enough proof that the child can leave the country in Thailand. I am not sure about your country. You may need a letter from the biological father allowing the child to be taken from the country.

It would be best in the future if you would start your own post for these questions to avoid confusion by yourself or others.

There is no requirement to speak English. The relationship they want to know about concerning the child is to you not the step father. The fact that the child has a passport is enough proof that the child can leave the country in Thailand. I am not sure about your country. You may need a letter from the biological father allowing the child to be taken from the country.

It would be best in the future if you would start your own post for these questions to avoid confusion by yourself or others.

I am sorry for posting my own problems in other people's topics. I appreciate your answer. Thanks a lot.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.