Paul_Light

Time delay between re-entering on I-94?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I'll try and keep this short.

I'm from the U.K. and met a girl from Texas in January 2006.

Went to the U.S. in February for 2 weeks, Mexico for 3 days and then 1 day back to the U.S.

Decided to give up my job and flat and go to the U.S. for 3 months in

June 2006.

I have to return to the U.K. on 27 August 2006.

My question(s) is(are) :

How long should I wait before returning to the U.S. on the VWP.

I do not intend to work in the U.S. and can financially support myself.

Really I need a longer term temporary visitor visa.

It's too early to say "lets get married" but I certainly wouldn't rule it out in the future.

Any advice will be greatfully recieved.

Paul

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you can ask for an extension... not quite sure though... it might depend on what you are doing and the kind of links you still have to the UK. Good luck with that!

LIFE IS WHAT WE MAKE IT (E. Dickinson)

PREFIERO SER CABEZA DE RATÓN QUE COLA DE LEÓN.

L'HOMME EST CE QU'IL SE FAIT (J.P. Sartre)

ON NE NAÎT PAS FEMME; ON LE DEVIENT (S. De Beauvoir)

ALEA IACTA EST (I. Caesar)

Afortunado aquel

Who understands

Le langage secret

Das estrelas,

Der blumen

Et delle cose mute

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

hey :) im english and I am currently in Texas on the vwp.

there are no set rules, its all up to the person at the gate you see at the aiport as to if they let you in or not.

no one will be able to give you anything 100%, some folk have had no problems going back quite often without long gaps, other folk have sadly been barred from entering on the VWP and sent home.

i came to texas 15 months ago for 2 weeks, came back this march for 2 weeks and then came back in very late june.

I was quizzed for a long time at the gate by the officer, i wasnt taken back to a second room or anything, but it was pretty clear i was starting to raise some concerns. I dont even mention girlfriend, i only had a 10 day return ticket (i go BA and extend once im through if need be) but still i was heavily quizzed and came away with the feeling i would not be let back in again if i came back anytime soon after arriving.

as a general rule, try to be out of the US for longer than your there! the VWP is not intended for people to live in the US, just to remove the hassles for tourists getting a visa.

my advice, see if your partner could come see you in the UK in the middle, but you say you have no job or flat. This could also cause major problems at US immigration if asked, you have no ties back to your home to show them you would be returning, which some folk get asked for.

just my experience :) good luck, it sucks having to play this game when we have no intention of doing anything wrong.

--

15 aug -- K-1 application posted to TSC

17 aug -- TSC receives application

no NOA1, USCIS says no record....

31 oct resubmitted

09 NOV money order cashed

08 NOV NOA1 date, yey! arrived in post 14th nov

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

You have a great deal of time spent in the US and no visible ties to the UK...I would expect a lengthy questioning when next you attempt to enter, if not an outright refusal, unless there's a goodly chunk of time between the two.

We got lucky. I'd *never* recommend visiting as often, or as long, as we did during our process. We got very, very lucky.

hey :) im english and I am currently in Texas on the vwp.

there are no set rules, its all up to the person at the gate you see at the aiport as to if they let you in or not.

no one will be able to give you anything 100%, some folk have had no problems going back quite often without long gaps, other folk have sadly been barred from entering on the VWP and sent home.

i came to texas 15 months ago for 2 weeks, came back this march for 2 weeks and then came back in very late june.

I was quizzed for a long time at the gate by the officer, i wasnt taken back to a second room or anything, but it was pretty clear i was starting to raise some concerns. I dont even mention girlfriend, i only had a 10 day return ticket (i go BA and extend once im through if need be) but still i was heavily quizzed and came away with the feeling i would not be let back in again if i came back anytime soon after arriving.

as a general rule, try to be out of the US for longer than your there! the VWP is not intended for people to live in the US, just to remove the hassles for tourists getting a visa.

my advice, see if your partner could come see you in the UK in the middle, but you say you have no job or flat. This could also cause major problems at US immigration if asked, you have no ties back to your home to show them you would be returning, which some folk get asked for.

just my experience :) good luck, it sucks having to play this game when we have no intention of doing anything wrong.

Thanks for your reply.

I was heavily quizzed in June and on my return from Mexico last week.

As far as ties to the U.K. I have a significant share (40%) in a U.K. business. I resigned as a Director due to my extended leave. Plus my parents, brother, nephews etc. are still there.

My girlfriend could come over but it's difficult - she has two 4 year old twin boys and a full time job.

And I really don't want to stay in the U.K. without her. A feeling shared on this forum I'm sure.

Call me naive but I really thought that being fit, healthy and able to financially support oneself should be enough to visit a country with ties as close as ours.

So, I go back on 27 August 2006. Don't know what to do. I have an appointment with the USCIS on 18 August 2006 - I guess it can't hurt to put my story across?

Paul

Going to see the USCIS will not help you stay in the US longer.

I had a medical Emergancy which allowed me to stay an extra month but he did warn me ive been coming to often, next time i would not be allowed back in. To even get this type of visa, you have to have a medical and an interview at the US Embassy in London, takes from 4 months to years to get this visa.

Of course im here now...for good but you could go there for some information. Good luck

Edited by Lizzy

K1

September 15 - 2005: NOA1

October: Waiting

November: Waiting

December: In Security checks

January 2006: Waiting

February: Waiting..Contacted Congress

March 4th: APPROVED

March 17th: NVC posted file to London

March 20th: London Receives file

March 29th: Receive package 3

April 13th: London Receives package

April 19th: Medical - June 13th: INTERVIEW......APPROVED!!!!

June 20th: ARRIVE IN USA

Time taken for whole process 9 Months

~~~~~ * ~~~~~

AOS

October: 13th: Sent off AOS Package

November 3rd: NOA1

November 14th: Snail mail ~ NOA1 ~ Case moved to the CSC for faster processing.

November 14th : CSC has petition for me and my daughter.

December 14th: Biometrics completed.

January 17th: APPROVED AOS!

January 22nd: Green card arrives in the mail:))

Time taken for AOS - 3.5 Months

Finished for 2 years.

dev015pb___.png

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Call me naive but I really thought that being fit, healthy and able to financially support oneself should be enough to visit a country with ties as close as ours.

So, I go back on 27 August 2006. Don't know what to do. I have an appointment with the USCIS on 18 August 2006 - I guess it can't hurt to put my story across?

Paul

Paul, there is no long term 'hang out' visa for the US. Trust me, it was one of the first things I looked for. My now-spouse is also a UKC; ties between our countries have nothing to do with it.

I posted to draw your attention to your upcoming 'appointment'. Keep in mind beforehand that USCIS folk aren't there to advise you and may inadvertantly give you incorrect information. They are also NOT the same department that make the decision to admit you or not on any given visit (visa or VWP, you have to get thru the Customs and Border Patrol, not USCIS). You can certainly tell them your story, but be wary of any information you get from them, and double or triple check it.

Americans don't readily acknowledge the concept of extended time off; vacations are two weeks long and that's that. Everything else about your situation points to 'intending immigrant' under US definition.

Repeat visits going both directions or 3rd country meetings (Mexico & Canada) or a long distance relationship are options until you are ready to make the marriage leap.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Paul

Paul, there is no long term 'hang out' visa for the US. Trust me, it was one of the first things I looked for. My now-spouse is also a UKC; ties between our countries have nothing to do with it.

I posted to draw your attention to your upcoming 'appointment'. Keep in mind beforehand that USCIS folk aren't there to advise you and may inadvertantly give you incorrect information. They are also NOT the same department that make the decision to admit you or not on any given visit (visa or VWP, you have to get thru the Customs and Border Patrol, not USCIS). You can certainly tell them your story, but be wary of any information you get from them, and double or triple check it.

Americans don't readily acknowledge the concept of extended time off; vacations are two weeks long and that's that. Everything else about your situation points to 'intending immigrant' under US definition.

Repeat visits going both directions or 3rd country meetings (Mexico & Canada) or a long distance relationship are options until you are ready to make the marriage leap.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I have another idea. What do you think?

(1) If I go to DFW will anybody in immigration / customs border control discuss the matter with me? (after all I have NOTHING to hide).

(2) Would it help if I arrived back in september 2006 with, say, $9000 in cash to prove I can stay without the need to work?

Thanks

Paul

Filed: Other Timeline

Paul, personally I wouldn't go to the airport or to USCIS for their opinions. As meauxna said, you could easily get wrong advice. And I'm just nervous about drawing to much attention to myself insofar as DOS/USCIS/CBP and all these agencies go. After all, the person you speak with can choose to log the date of their conversation and your passport number into records. True you aren't trying to pull anything over on anybody, but why bring something upon yourself when it can be avoided.

There's no such thing as boyfriend/girlfriend visas. Extensions past the 90 days of the VWP are rarely granted - go to the Department of State website for clarification of the differences between B visitor visas and traveling on the VWP.

Sorry. You are in the same tough spot we all found ourselves in. Traveling back so soon - in September - is not a good idea in my opinion. I believe I am correct in saying that should you ever get turned back on the VWP, you cannot use it again. Your passport will be marked and you will need a visa of some type to re-enter.

When I was in your shoes, I was trying to find a way for my man to come live here, work here and generally be with me until I hit the date when my alimony would end (sounds vicious I know but if I introduced you to my ex you would understand - everybody does) LOL! Imagine my shock and disappointment when I discovered my little plan wouldn't work!!!

So now I'm married. And broke. But hey....I'm basically happy!!!

Good luck to you and your lady friend!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
I think you can ask for an extension... not quite sure though... it might depend on what you are doing and the kind of links you still have to the UK. Good luck with that!

You can extend a B, but you have to have a very good reason. Not a VWP.

Your chances of a B are slim to nil.

At least stay out as long as you come in as a minimum and keep your fingers crossed.

Or you might be the exception that proves the rule.

Put up or shut up time.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
(2) Would it help if I arrived back in september 2006 with, say, $9000 in cash to prove I can stay without the need to work?

Cash helps, but concrete ties to the UK are better; for all the POE officer knows, you just sold up everything in the UK to get $9k and are planning on immigrating.

Is it a good idea to tell the immigration officer @ DFW that I am planning on marrying here?

Paul

GAH! NO!!!!! They will put you on a plane so fast! You have to go through the K1 fiance visa process to marry in the US. If you say 'i'm coming in to get married' they will go great, do that in six months when you have a visa in hand.

Gah, whew sorry heart attack at the thought of someone blurting that out :D

And so he did what countless punk-rock songs had told him to do so many times before: he lived his life

10/07/2006 WEDDING DAY!

11/14/2006 AOS packet made it to 'the box' after being overnighted.

12/02/2006 Paul had biometrics

12/14/2006 AOS Forwarded to CSC AND AP Application approved.

01/17/2007 First touch of 2007 at CSC

01/20/2007 Touched AGAIN (also the 18th) come on...

February: Oops, RFE for a REGISTERED marriage certificate. Oops! Overnighted it.

02/28/2007 Paul gets email letting us know his GREENCARD is on it's way! It's done...for now!

03/09/2007 Paul's greencard arrives. And breathe...

We began with mailing the I-129 in on February 27, 2006 so the whole process took us approx. one year.

Good luck out there!

See PCRADDY for our official timeline.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Is it a good idea to tell the immigration officer @ DFW that I am planning on marrying here?

Paul

GAH! NO!!!!! They will put you on a plane so fast! You have to go through the K1 fiance visa process to marry in the US. If you say 'i'm coming in to get married' they will go great, do that in six months when you have a visa in hand.

Gah, whew sorry heart attack at the thought of someone blurting that out :D

You can use the VWP to Marry and leave, but with no ties they may well believe that the latter is not in your contemplation.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.