Paul_Light

Time delay between re-entering on I-94?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Is it a good idea to tell the immigration officer @ DFW that I am planning on marrying here?

Paul

You mean the CBP officer? And at what point? Do you mean the next time you try to enter or going there to get an opinion from him now?

Yes the guy @ border control.

Not sure when. I'm so confused!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had planned all along to do 2 X blocks of 3 months before "popping the question".

My concern is that "if" I decided to come back within 4, 8 or even 12 weeks without reference to my girlfriend what's the reason for coming here again so soon? Or is it O.K. to have a girlfriend?

I'd really like to get a straight forward, concrete answer on this from somebody in authority. It really shouldn't be this difficult. Should it?

Thanks for listening.

Paul

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Well Paul, there isn't a straightforward answer because entry decisions are left to the discretion of the CBP officers. The member zyggy is a former CBP guard and you might try researching some of his posts to get insight into how those decisions are made.

Here's one of zyggy's more recent entries:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry356000

and another....

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry354299

Is it a good idea to tell the immigration officer @ DFW that I am planning on marrying here?

Paul

Not sure when. I'm so confused!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had planned all along to do 2 X blocks of 3 months before "popping the question".

The problem is they see blocks of 3 months with short amount of time away as you basically living in the US and returning for brief visits to the UK. They dont' like that.

And so he did what countless punk-rock songs had told him to do so many times before: he lived his life

10/07/2006 WEDDING DAY!

11/14/2006 AOS packet made it to 'the box' after being overnighted.

12/02/2006 Paul had biometrics

12/14/2006 AOS Forwarded to CSC AND AP Application approved.

01/17/2007 First touch of 2007 at CSC

01/20/2007 Touched AGAIN (also the 18th) come on...

February: Oops, RFE for a REGISTERED marriage certificate. Oops! Overnighted it.

02/28/2007 Paul gets email letting us know his GREENCARD is on it's way! It's done...for now!

03/09/2007 Paul's greencard arrives. And breathe...

We began with mailing the I-129 in on February 27, 2006 so the whole process took us approx. one year.

Good luck out there!

See PCRADDY for our official timeline.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Well Paul, there isn't a straightforward answer because entry decisions are left to the discretion of the CBP officers. The member zyggy is a former CBP guard and you might try researching some of his posts to get insight into how those decisions are made.

Here's one of zyggy's more recent entries:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry356000

and another....

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry354299

Wow.

What a stupid cow.

Must admit I would have given up on her a long time ago, I will give those more obviously intellectually challenged more time, but the both of them are supposed to have a few brain cells.

What does it say about the medical and legal proffessions.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

Paul

GAH! NO!!!!! They will put you on a plane so fast! You have to go through the K1 fiance visa process to marry in the US. If you say 'i'm coming in to get married' they will go great, do that in six months when you have a visa in hand.

Gah, whew sorry heart attack at the thought of someone blurting that out :D

Perhaps you misunderstood.

What I meant to say was I want to spend more time with her and her children before discussing marriage.

It would be different without the 4 year old boys. It's a MUCH bigger commitment and I just want to spend more time with them (sorry for repeating - I do that when I'm frustrated).

Paul

Paul

GAH! NO!!!!! They will put you on a plane so fast! You have to go through the K1 fiance visa process to marry in the US. If you say 'i'm coming in to get married' they will go great, do that in six months when you have a visa in hand.

Gah, whew sorry heart attack at the thought of someone blurting that out :D

Perhaps you misunderstood.

What I meant to say was I want to spend more time with her and her children before discussing marriage.

It would be different without the 4 year old boys. It's a MUCH bigger commitment and I just want to spend more time with them (sorry for repeating - I do that when I'm frustrated).

Paul

Well you said "I plan on marrying HERE...did you mean HER???" Its still not something I would say either way. If you are coming into the US for 3months at a time with just short stops in the UK between, showing no strong ties to the UK (i.e. a job you have to return to, etc) AND you announce you're dating a woman in the US you are considering marrying down the line you are going to raise some BRIGHT RED FLAGS. There's plenty of cases, Lizzy's included, where the gov't or officer at POE has warned them - don't try this again, this is your last free pass on the VWP...someone on VJ here even got told they could come in for only a month then they weren't going to be allowed in again without a proper visa. A very nice fellow Michigan girl's fiance was allowed ONE night with her but she had to put him on the plane back to the UK the next morning because he couldnt' show significant ties to the UK.

We ALL understand your want to spend more time with her and her children - and we ALL understand how frustrating this whole thing, but we're just telling you the truth - the gov't will not be as understanding. You can continue to come into this country for 3 months at a go for as long as they let you, but what everyone here is trying to say, with sympathy, is that might be 10 more times and it could be the next time that you get put back on a plane home.

I'm sorry, in this case, the truth sucks.

Best of luck in your decisions.

Joey

Edited by Joey559

And so he did what countless punk-rock songs had told him to do so many times before: he lived his life

10/07/2006 WEDDING DAY!

February: Oops, RFE for a REGISTERED marriage certificate. Oops! Overnighted it.

02/28/2007 Paul gets email letting us know his GREENCARD is on it's way! It's done...for now!

We began with mailing the I-129 in on February 27, 2006 so the whole process took us approx. one year.

Good luck out there!

Timeline

Maybe 10 more times if it was once a year.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Maybe 10 more times if it was once a year.

Ah well exactly, Boiler! We all know what his frequent trips are heading towards and in the near future...

just giving him a broad spectrum of what can happen...the gov't doesn't follow a set in stone, this is what will be, in this exact time frame, ideology when it comes to the visa process.

Fair? no

True? Yes

Edited by Joey559

10/07/2006 WEDDING DAY!

Good luck out there!

Sorry you're frustrated, Paul, but your question has been asked and answered.

If you stay longer than your 90-days, you will be be over-staying your visa which will be apparent the next time you try to enter and it will be a red flag to border patrol.

Having quit your job releases one of your ties to the UK... something the the CBP will question on your next visit. Bringing $9000 in with you on your next visit is not as smart as you may think... it may appear as if you are planning to relocate with that kind of cash on hand. Many people immigrate legally with far less than that in their wallets.

My fiance is a Brit living in Germany. He came for 4 weeks in May. The CBP officer in Detroit asked him why he was here... and he was truthful about being here to visit his fiancee. The officer asked for his return ticket and told him point blankly, "You'd better be on the return plane home, or.." and they finished the last part in unison, "... you will be at risk for being denied your K1 Visa".

If there is even a potential for you to be making a long-term commitment here, I would be focused, if I were you, on long-term gain, not short term gain. Many of us have made due with phone calls, skype.com, text messaging, and snail mail. It is possible. You just have to want it enough.

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Timeline
The officer asked for his return ticket and told him point blankly, "You'd better be on the return plane home, or.." and they finished the last part in unison, "... you will be at risk for being denied your K1 Visa".

if he stayed longer than 273 days or was deported after his 90 days on the VWP.

Just thought I would finish it

273 days?

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

11-5-06 Married

Probably do-able; but with the same risks and restrictions.

Agree. Make sure you have TONS of evidence to support your ties back home, including a letter from your employer.

Just be prepared for the possiblity of being sent back on the next flight, if the CBP are suspicious.

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

11-5-06 Married

Timeline
273 days?

90 days plus 6 months = ban

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.