ScottThuy

disparity between timelines

55 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The housebook thing became a non issue..... her house book didnt have his name in it when all was said and done... the divorce thing.. I understand to a degree, but if they looked at the paperwork, they would see how long it took to get through the whole divorce process... meeting before they were finalized is probably the biggest deal.... but we had no control over that... They actually got a letter from the VP of The University explaining how we met,but they wouldnt take it at the interview... maybe when they look at the case they will see the letter I submitted when I was there...

I wish I knew why they had us in AP at NVC before... it ended when they called me asking for my ex one day... the same thing that the consulate has done to others in AP... We are actually looking forward to a call like that, but who knows if they will do the same thing twice to the same case... I did frontload evidence of my former spouse living apart from me... the same evidence that they asked for in the blue slip...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The housebook thing became a non issue..... her house book didnt have his name in it when all was said and done... the divorce thing.. I understand to a degree, but if they looked at the paperwork, they would see how long it took to get through the whole divorce process... meeting before they were finalized is probably the biggest deal.... but we had no control over that... They actually got a letter from the VP of The University explaining how we met,but they wouldnt take it at the interview... maybe when they look at the case they will see the letter I submitted when I was there...

I wish I knew why they had us in AP at NVC before... it ended when they called me asking for my ex one day... the same thing that the consulate has done to others in AP... We are actually looking forward to a call like that, but who knows if they will do the same thing twice to the same case... I did frontload evidence of my former spouse living apart from me... the same evidence that they asked for in the blue slip...

I dont think the issue of previous marriage should affect anyone, they are an ex for a reason, however if I was in their shoes if the divorce was very recent, and there was proof of a new relationship while the first one was not settled (even though the divorce was happening) It would raise my interest to learn more about it. How long was your fiancee divorced before you met (not divorced the Vietnam way, but legally divorced)? I think you answered your own question when you said they called your house looking for your ex-wife. This was their hold up, after all they were investigating you prior to them even approving it, this means they were doubting your relationship before it even got to HCMC. I think it should still be a non issue, just require a little extra proof that the ex is infact an ex and move on regardless if you were not officially divorced prior to your new relationship starting, after all you are an American, and I know many that have left one woman for another, and the same for women leaving a man for another man. It is not out of the ordinary for a relationship to end in America and then a person jump right into another. I actually have a close friend that was divorced less than 2 weeks before he remarried (the funny part is that marriage didnt last long either!) so it can and does happen, the problem is that we can not get other people at NVC or HCMC to see this. HCMC uses cultural norms against foreigners, I say #######?? what about our culture??? Do they go on the streets in HCMC or stay cooped up in the embassy all the time. Yes there are many women that still wear Aoi Doi in HCMC, but many dressed like americans as well (and some like prostitutes) The thing is that we can not force feed them anything, especially if we want them to see the "clear" picture since they are already looking through foggy glasses and living in the 1970's and can not come to terms with Vietnamese and American cultures converging and making their own culture, along with both cultures changing with the times.

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Timeline

I really dont think both of us being married before is "the mother of all red flags"

Well think again. You told us that you were both married when y'all met. Then after y'all met you both divorced. This is a huge fraud red flag at this consulate. Much fruad has happened at this consulate by marrieds divorcing and remarrying anew and then after getting the permanent residence and then divorcing and remarrying the former spouses. Then conveniently when you need something signed by the ex he can't be found at all in a country that anything can be done with money. And then there is the red flag of your ex wife being in prison. All together since you came here and we learn more I cringed when you were applying knowing that it was going to be hard for you but of course you always have came on as an expert and advised everyone how to go about getting their visas without successfully doing so yourself yet. Now we can all see if the highly "can't miss" front loading will work. As it stands now I am surprised and I probably would have just denied you already and possibly banned for fraud. It looks like they are being careful though and giving y'all a chance to prove this is no fraud so that is good for you.

Edited by luckytxn

Timeline

You have facts from another member confused with facts of my case... Now I see why you have responded this way...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You have facts from another member confused with facts of my case... Now I see why you have responded this way...

Don't be too tough on him, Scott. I do the same thing all the time. There are just so damn many case histories on this site that it's really hard to remember all of them. It's gotten so bad that I have to go back and re-read somebody's past posts before answering a simple question.

I do understand why the consulate would consider it to be a red flag when there are two divorces that appear to be somewhat synchronized with the visa process. There is a very specific fraud scenario they suspect, which Lucky described. Frankly, I was even worried about that particular fraud scenario potentially causing problems with my case, even though Phuong was divorced in 2001 and I in 2004.

I do know that Jerome was the one whose ex-wife was in prison. Coincidentally, my ex-wife was also in prison, but it never came up at the consulate. Jerome's case was the first time I'd ever heard of this being a problem at the consulate, and I still don't understand why it's a red flag. What are they suspecting? I provided proof of my ex-wife's location with the petition, but not because I thought her being in prison was a red flag. I just know that the consulate sometimes wants proof of the ex-wife's residence to prove she isn't still living with the petitioner.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Well think again. You told us that you were both married when y'all met. Then after y'all met you both divorced. This is a huge fraud red flag at this consulate. Much fruad has happened at this consulate by marrieds divorcing and remarrying anew and then after getting the permanent residence and then divorcing and remarrying the former spouses. Then conveniently when you need something signed by the ex he can't be found at all in a country that anything can be done with money. And then there is the red flag of your ex wife being in prison. All together since you came here and we learn more I cringed when you were applying knowing that it was going to be hard for you but of course you always have came on as an expert and advised everyone how to go about getting their visas without successfully doing so yourself yet. Now we can all see if the highly "can't miss" front loading will work. As it stands now I am surprised and I probably would have just denied you already and possibly banned for fraud. It looks like they are being careful though and giving y'all a chance to prove this is no fraud so that is good for you.

Not sure how "y'all" became the self-appointed expert on red flags. None of us know why Scott is in AP, and your supposition is as good as anyone else's. Being a condescending a$$ to other long-term members is why people get turned off from message boards like this.

If you think that Scott is somehow ruining your experience or violating terms of use, you should report him to Capt. Ewok. Otherwise, chime in when you can add true value and avoid the reply button when you just want to pick a fight.

And BTW, nobody ever said that the front-loading of an application was "can't miss." Some advocate its use and others don't. Fine. There is NOTHING that I have seen on this website that tells us what WILL and WILL NOT work. Each person advocates processes based on his/her own experiences or beliefs. You don't find me bashing you every time someone gets denied and had not front-loaded their application, though I would be happy to if you wish. There are many more who fail without it than with it.

Timeline

I may have confused that the ex wife was in prison and apologize. Am I wrong to say that you were both married at the time of meeting? I remember responding to a post you had saying that this was a huge red flag way back when and you said that you have addressed this on front loading and should be no problem. I also tried to explain at that time why it was a huge problem but you seemed unconcerned.

Timeline

Not sure how "y'all" became the self-appointed expert on red flags. None of us know why Scott is in AP, and your supposition is as good as anyone else's. Being a condescending a$ to other long-term members is why people get turned off from message boards like this.

If you think that Scott is somehow ruining your experience or violating terms of use, you should report him to Capt. Ewok. Otherwise, chime in when you can add true value and avoid the reply button when you just want to pick a fight.

And BTW, nobody ever said that the front-loading of an application was "can't miss." Some advocate its use and others don't. Fine. There is NOTHING that I have seen on this website that tells us what WILL and WILL NOT work. Each person advocates processes based on his/her own experiences or beliefs. You don't find me bashing you every time someone gets denied and had not front-loaded their application, though I would be happy to if you wish. There are many more who fail without it than with it.

You need to take your own advice and not try to silence people unless they agree with you wholeheartedly.

You need to take your own advice and not try to silence people unless they agree with you wholeheartedly.

I don't care if you agree with me or not and not trying to silence you. We are all entitled to our own opinions and views, which really is all that one can offer here because nobody truly knows what gets a visa.

My suggestion was only to get off your holier than thou perch and appreciate that someone outside the Lone Star State might have a point worth considering.

Timeline

I don't care if you agree with me or not and not trying to silence you. We are all entitled to our own opinions and views, which really is all that one can offer here because nobody truly knows what gets a visa.

My suggestion was only to get off your holier than thou perch and appreciate that someone outside the Lone Star State might have a point worth considering.

As stated before but you seem to need reminding. Follow the suggestion you made earlier. Practice what you preach but maybe that is not done outside Texas.

Timeline

I may have confused that the ex wife was in prison and apologize. Am I wrong to say that you were both married at the time of meeting? I remember responding to a post you had saying that this was a huge red flag way back when and you said that you have addressed this on front loading and should be no problem. I also tried to explain at that time why it was a huge problem but you seemed unconcerned.

We were married (on paper) when we met... both relationships had endedbut the legal documents had not been finalized.. she was actually not aware that she was even legally married until we inquired with the VN govt... you know how things are done differently there...

I knew the previous relationships could be an issue, that was why I addressed it with evidence in the initial petition,but that drew me extra attention at NVC and likely HCMC as well... The issue could be easily addressed with an interview of me or a request for additional documentation... if they wanted an affidavit from my ex that could be provided... I didnt think they would make such a big deal.. I knew it was a red flag of sorts, but still dont consider it a huge red flag...

Based on what Jerome has said from his CO friend.. they just let these cases sit idle for months at a time to test our resolve... I really didnt intend on this topic being about my case, but the difference in how cases are handled... If cases come into the system in a queue, they should be handled in that queue.... If additional investigation is required, then it should take place when the issue is identified.... rather than sitting the file out and coming back to them some months later...

The visa issuance criteria are all objective, thus the reason for the checklist they must follow(pink slip) ...

If an applicant has met the criteria then they should be issued the visa or denied... no reason for several months of "the case is pending review by a consular officer". DoS has a written policy of reviewing all cases within 30 days to avoid the exact thing that HCMC is creating with those of us in AP.... This is the disparity I initially wanted to point out... We all know that cases are different, but there is no reason why Frank or Bob should be sitting without any info for over 6 months well after the interview.... when other cases are through the entire process in less than 90 days at some consulates...

Timeline

We were married (on paper) when we met... both relationships had endedbut the legal documents had not been finalized.. she was actually not aware that she was even legally married until we inquired with the VN govt... you know how things are done differently there...

I knew the previous relationships could be an issue, that was why I addressed it with evidence in the initial petition,but that drew me extra attention at NVC and likely HCMC as well... The issue could be easily addressed with an interview of me or a request for additional documentation... if they wanted an affidavit from my ex that could be provided... I didnt think they would make such a big deal.. I knew it was a red flag of sorts, but still dont consider it a huge red flag...

Based on what Jerome has said from his CO friend.. they just let these cases sit idle for months at a time to test our resolve... I really didnt intend on this topic being about my case, but the difference in how cases are handled... If cases come into the system in a queue, they should be handled in that queue.... If additional investigation is required, then it should take place when the issue is identified.... rather than sitting the file out and coming back to them some months later...

The visa issuance criteria are all objective, thus the reason for the checklist they must follow(pink slip) ...

If an applicant has met the criteria then they should be issued the visa or denied... no reason for several months of "the case is pending review by a consular officer". DoS has a written policy of reviewing all cases within 30 days to avoid the exact thing that HCMC is creating with those of us in AP.... This is the disparity I initially wanted to point out... We all know that cases are different, but there is no reason why Frank or Bob should be sitting without any info for over 6 months well after the interview.... when other cases are through the entire process in less than 90 days at some consulates...

Now you know it is a huge red flag whether you consider it that way or not. It has always been an issue as this is a big fraud consulate and the married getting divorced and then remarrying has happened before. I think you will be fine but with certain big red flags it takes time. You are not denied at least and you should be grateful. It seems that you both will get a satisfactory results in the future if that is any comfort. My friend who just got their visa after a pink was divorced a little over two years at the time of the visa and they asked about it heavily at first but then went on. That and the how did they meet where the two chief concerns for them. At the time they were meeting at first and then deciding to get engaged I asked them to take it slow and develop more bonafides as he had been divorced only barely a year at that time.

Maybe it has been that we have seen so many times you say how unfair you have been treated and now to see a single thread by you bemoaning the fact and it seemed to me to be making the successful candidates try to seem guilty. My friend and his fiancee just went through the stressful process as I did also and I tried to help them all I could and was so friggin happy for them. I do feel bad for you and all the others on here in AP. I want to help and will in any way I can. The best thing we can do is exchange info on what happened to each of us and try to not make the same mistakes from before and do the successful stuff. There is no one way to get the visa ok. Front loading is good to a extent but I think it can be harmful also. There has to be a fine line here. Also you have and other has posted the rules form the homeland and the embassy sites and the blog from Ellis like these are infallible and they are not. It is good to know this stuff but to tell the potential VJ'ers that this is what you have to do is wrong. Sure they are what they are supposed to follow but being here awhile and others know that there are other variables that are important.

Now God bless you and yours and I hope for a successful resolution to your visa.

As stated before but you seem to need reminding. Follow the suggestion you made earlier. Practice what you preach but maybe that is not done outside Texas.

Tex, this Yankee sure as hell doesn't need preaching from you. You hear what you want to hear and have a mighty high view of your own musings.

But, at this stage, I have hijacked Scott's thread enough.

Good luck, Scott. Unfair and somewhat random as the process is, stick with this thing. We are (mostly) all with you.

Timeline

Cam on good.gif

We are in this for life not a short term thing... it is what it is... I just hope I dont have to see her crying because she thinks the US hates her for much longer... with luck they will call her in the coming weeks.... maybe she will be able toenjoy the 4th of July celebration with us...

Timeline
Off-Topic2.gifgood.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.