cranehand

Going to Odessa to see my SO WOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!

206 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

well I found RT from Houston to Odessa for 1400$ bought it and now im headed out tomorrow morning. I cant wait to throw my arms around her and give a big KISS!!!!!!!! I did not think I would get a chance to go back until interview but I can not stand it any longer.

She said bring some empty luggage and she will send me home with some of her winter things :help::huh:

Met online Sep 26 2009

Traveled to Ukraine Jan 22 2010

Spent 33 wonderful days together

Returned to US Feb 25 2010

K1 filed March 2010

Sent to VSC 2010-03-06

Received 03-08

Check cashed 03-10

NOA 1 dated 03-11

updated 03-16

Spending a week in Odessa and Kherson together 5-19-10 :)))))

NO RFE's

NOA 2 6-24-10

NVC recieve 6-28-10

NOA 2 Hard copy receive 6-29-10

NVC forward to Kiev 6-29-10 That was easy :)

Embassy receive 7-2-2010

Leave US 8-10 to attend interview

Interview 8-12-2010 :)))))))

VISA APPROVED 8-12-2010

POE Houston Tx. 8-20-2010

MARRIED Sep 25 2010 :))))))

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

well I found RT from Houston to Odessa for 1400$ bought it and now im headed out tomorrow morning. I cant wait to throw my arms around her and give a big KISS!!!!!!!! I did not think I would get a chance to go back until interview but I can not stand it any longer.

She said bring some empty luggage and she will send me home with some of her winter things :help::huh:

My favorite city in Ukraine...I could be biased. I proposed to Alla at the Colonade.

have fun.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

TY fellow VJ'rs. Alesya and I did not get the chance to go there last time I was in UA. She had mentioned that she wanted to do some shopping there. She also said that the prices of things may be a bit less expensive because it is a port city. We are thinking of staying 2 days or so. Camera charged and ready :thumbs: Anybody have any suggestions for places to stay. Would prefer apartment but hotel is an option also. Colonade huh? Should be all lit up at night. sounds romantic I am taking ring this time. I Will have to keep an eye out for that Gary, Thank you.

Met online Sep 26 2009

K1 filed March 2010

Sent to VSC 2010-03-06

Received 03-08

Check cashed 03-10

NOA 1 dated 03-11

updated 03-16

NO RFE's

NOA 2 6-24-10

NVC recieve 6-28-10

Embassy receive 7-2-2010

VISA APPROVED 8-12-2010

Timeline

TY fellow VJ'rs. Alesya and I did not get the chance to go there last time I was in UA. She had mentioned that she wanted to do some shopping there. She also said that the prices of things may be a bit less expensive because it is a port city. We are thinking of staying 2 days or so. Camera charged and ready :thumbs: Anybody have any suggestions for places to stay. Would prefer apartment but hotel is an option also. Colonade huh? Should be all lit up at night. sounds romantic I am taking ring this time. I Will have to keep an eye out for that Gary, Thank you.

You cannot miss the Colonade. It is down by the Potemkin steps. The steps would be another good place for proposals.

I highly recommend the Opera if they have any shows. Summer is not the opera season but they should have something going on there. What a fantastic building. I watched them rebuilding that thing for the two years I lived there and they kept putting off the opening, but they finally opened it in time for me to take Alla there, then walk her over to the Colonade and propose. I can highly recommend it.

Alla does not like Odessa and says it is expensive. Compared to Donetsk, yes. Compared to Kiev, no. It is one of the few places in Ukraine where all the service people are expecting a "tip", something Alla doesn't care for. I like it. It does not have the wide streets of Kiev and seems more "cozy" to me. They have a great shopping district and some big malls if you like that sort of thing. I never found the prices of things there to be cheap, especially not imported goods. Tell your fiancee to save he $$$ (and yours) Alla says clothes and shoes are "almost free" in the USA and considers it one of the top benefits of living here. Seriously, she is in Ukraine right now and took TWO suitcases full of clothes, shoes and cosmetics as gifts for her friends. She collects this stuff all year and goes nuts at 70% off after Christmas sales. None of her friends can believe how cheap clothes are here compared to Ukraine.

I used to go back and forth and bring her stuff from here that was cheap and bring back her stuff in the empty suitcases. I brought electronics stuff (flashdrives, CDs, MP3s, etc) and returned with cigarettes, contact lenses, pharmacuetical stuff and Alla's clothes and shoes. You are allowed TWO checked bags at 27 kilos each on tranatlantic flightrs for no extra charge (so far) and one carry one. I always took my stuff in the carry on and used the suitcases for import/export duty.

Swimming is not recommended at that part of the Black Sea, plan on going a couple hours out of town for good beaches, or a side trip to Crimea. Too many big, stinky rivers emptying near Odessa. Sorry, but it is not a beautiful beach city, though the Soviets billed it as such.

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Here is a website that I have used for the last few years. http://www.odessapartments.com/ I have rented from them about 5 times. They always have nice apartments and assistant has always been nice. They now have a chat feature on the website. You can give her your travel dates. Also I have noticed that they have other apartments they manage around Odessa as well. She will meet you at the apartment and show you everything. She also speaks fluent english You have to pay for one day upfront thru paypal or google. I have also had them pick me up at the airport for $20. I think you can get a taxi for around $10 but you will need to call one. Don't use any of them that are sitting at the airport. As far as things being cheaper I am not sure. It is summer and tourist time so most things are more expensive. I will tell you that there are plenty of places to shop and there are many high end stores. I was able to spend some time at Arkadia beach last summer. It was awesome and you can rent a lounge chair at the beach for $2. Pleanty of restuarants and street food vendors at this beach. I remember it is a little far but the taxi was maybe $5 from the main street in Odessa. I would say to get a apartment close to the main street. It starts with a D i think. I am sure someone else will chime in with the name. Most of the apartments that the website has are located within walking distance. This is great because you can walk, shop and eat without getting into a cab. Odessa is my favorite city as well. :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

As far as some things to bring...........my wife always wants me to bring bisquick. She is addicted to the stuff. Gary and Alla are correct about the clothes. I always bring my wife some shirts. It'####### or miss but she always asks how much I paid and can't believe. I have also brought jeans. I always try to bring things that they dont have. Tootsie roll lollipops, honey roasted peanuts. I try to bring some food to that is american and usually cook a few american meals. Its fun to watch her face as she tries it. On thanksgiving I brought sweet potatoes, marshmellows, pumkin pie, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce. We had a traditional dinner with her family. Its part of the fun trying to bring two cultures together. Of course there was vodka on the table. :dance: Last trip she thought I was crazy for putting strawberry jam on my toast in the morning while eating with eggs and potatoes. She tried it and every morning she wanted the same as me. :innocent:

Timeline

LOL Al I tried to explain the sweet and savory thing to Alesya and until she tried it she couldn't understand it. Now it is the same as your Yulia. My beef jerky and trail mix was a huge hit last time. Maybe I will grab a big ol jar of xtra crunchy peanut butter and intro the PB n J LOL. I made grilled cheese for her with that awsome russian bread and somr cheese that some friend of her family made and she loved. To Easy :lol:

Edited by cranehand

Met online Sep 26 2009

K1 filed March 2010

Sent to VSC 2010-03-06

Received 03-08

Check cashed 03-10

NOA 1 dated 03-11

updated 03-16

NO RFE's

NOA 2 6-24-10

NVC recieve 6-28-10

Embassy receive 7-2-2010

VISA APPROVED 8-12-2010

Timeline

As far as some things to bring...........my wife always wants me to bring bisquick. She is addicted to the stuff. Gary and Alla are correct about the clothes. I always bring my wife some shirts. It'####### or miss but she always asks how much I paid and can't believe. I have also brought jeans. I always try to bring things that they dont have. Tootsie roll lollipops, honey roasted peanuts. I try to bring some food to that is american and usually cook a few american meals. Its fun to watch her face as she tries it. On thanksgiving I brought sweet potatoes, marshmellows, pumkin pie, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce. We had a traditional dinner with her family. Its part of the fun trying to bring two cultures together. Of course there was vodka on the table. :dance: Last trip she thought I was crazy for putting strawberry jam on my toast in the morning while eating with eggs and potatoes. She tried it and every morning she wanted the same as me. :innocent:

I have yet to meet a Ukrainian that didn't love Maple Syrup, they will use it for everything. I had to convince my MIL it was a natural product and now I have to bring it to her by the gallon! Seriously, the maple syrup threatens to tip the baggage over the limits!

Clothes was always a ####### shoot for Alla, she is just too picky BUT she always appreciated just plain, regular white cotton underwear (yeah that other stuff is ok for "Play" but she needs the regular stuff "for life") stockings, socks, gloves, etc. I couldn't go wrong with that and one of the best things she ever got was some hi-tech long underwear. At the time she had to go outside a lot in winter and was often in Moscow on business and of course was outside for busses, trolleys etc. She LOVED the hi-tech long johns for winter. I eventually got sets of it for her, the boys, her mom, friends...believe me, this is top luxury stuff for them Such things are hard to find in Ukraine and very expensive if you do find it. She also was so impressed I would bring her practical stuff to "keep her warm when I wasn't there" Flowers and chocolates are fine but they don't keep a girl warm at a bus stop in Moscow.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Ah Odessa! I will be there in a little over two weeks as well. One other romantic thing is the Mother-In-Laws bridge which is north of the Potemkin stairs. Lovers hang locks to signify their love for each other. http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/2432595

You should take a lock and put in on the bridge. Alyona and I have ours on rung #334. It can be found on the north side of the bridge and counting from the western side of the bridge. Please feel free to visit it. My heart is truly locked in Odessa with her heart. We threw the keys into the ocean near Arcadia beach near our favorite restaurant. I love that city.

Another great place for shopping is the 7 Kilometer mall. But only go with a Ukrainian and still be careful. It is cash only (US dollars) and there are bargains to be had. But there is also knock-offs so be careful and shop wisely. If you leave out of the airport on the road that heads north from the airport and turn left at the light at the end of this road, the 7 KM mall is about 4 KM on the left. It is impossible to miss it. Not very glamourous but it is a bargain hunters dream. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventh-Kilometer_Market

Have a wonderful time.

Steve

12/28/09- Sent packet to VSC FedEx Priority overnight

12/29/09- VSC received and issued NOA1

01/03/10- Touched

04/20/10- NOA2!!!! Finally. No touch Straight to NOA2

04/22/10- NVC Received

04/23/10- NVC forwarded to Embassy in Kiev

04/26/10-Embassy in Kief Received

04/30/10-Embassy entered in System

06/07/10- Medical scheduled

06/09/10- Interview scheduled

06/09/10-APPROVED!!!

06/24/10-POE Newark

08/28/10-Married to my love, Allie

event.png

I sent a PM about where we stay in Odessa. Lots of good restaurants and sights. Now I am starting to get jealous! :lol:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

I was so happy to read about all the food stuff everyone brings. I thought my Ukrainian family was crazy when we went back with peanut butter. Not just a little but 8 to 10 large jars. As far as clothes, I'm just glad that my wife doesn't go crazy for her friends as I don't relish explaining to some customs official why I have womens dresses in luggage. They might just put me on a return flight and say we don't allow your kind on our country. :rofl:

I'm sure on the next trip back, probably next summer, we will be bringing extra luggage or buying extra luggage for more of my families stuff. At least it's not furniture. As for me, as long as I have room for my caviar and Ukrainian honey pepper vodka, I'm happy.

Timeline

Ah Odessa! I will be there in a little over two weeks as well. One other romantic thing is the Mother-In-Laws bridge which is north of the Potemkin stairs. Lovers hang locks to signify their love for each other. http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/2432595

You should take a lock and put in on the bridge. Alyona and I have ours on rung #334. It can be found on the north side of the bridge and counting from the western side of the bridge. Please feel free to visit it. My heart is truly locked in Odessa with her heart. We threw the keys into the ocean near Arcadia beach near our favorite restaurant. I love that city.

Another great place for shopping is the 7 Kilometer mall. But only go with a Ukrainian and still be careful. It is cash only (US dollars) and there are bargains to be had. But there is also knock-offs so be careful and shop wisely. If you leave out of the airport on the road that heads north from the airport and turn left at the light at the end of this road, the 7 KM mall is about 4 KM on the left. It is impossible to miss it. Not very glamourous but it is a bargain hunters dream. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventh-Kilometer_Market

Have a wonderful time.

Steve

Sweet. But sorry Al, I will NOT be counting 334 rungs from the left to find your lock. :lol:

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Sweet. But sorry Al, I will NOT be counting 334 rungs from the left to find your lock. :lol:

Hahahhaha. Awwwww come on Gary! You know you at least have to look for it! The next time your on the bridge, you know this will just eat at you and you'll HAVE to find it. You'll remember this conversation , cussing me and muttering, "Damn It!!!! here I am looking for this damn lock....'

:lol::yes:

And it's actually (in my very humble and un-conceited opinion) a very well done lock. I used a grinder to grind the words into it. I probably could have a future as a professional lock grinder. I could set-up a booth at the end of the bridge and custom grind locks...... Naaahhhh. On second thought I'll stay here and visit once a year.....

Edited by A and S

12/28/09- Sent packet to VSC FedEx Priority overnight

12/29/09- VSC received and issued NOA1

01/03/10- Touched

04/20/10- NOA2!!!! Finally. No touch Straight to NOA2

04/22/10- NVC Received

04/23/10- NVC forwarded to Embassy in Kiev

04/26/10-Embassy in Kief Received

04/30/10-Embassy entered in System

06/07/10- Medical scheduled

06/09/10- Interview scheduled

06/09/10-APPROVED!!!

06/24/10-POE Newark

08/28/10-Married to my love, Allie

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.