cranehand

Going to Odessa to see my SO WOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!

206 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Well after 24 hr delay in Warsaw I made it to Odessa to my SO's loving arms. I will not use LOT airlines again :angry: , 3 hour delay at gate in Chicago caused about 50 passengers to miss connect to Kiev and 6-8 to miss connect to Odessa in Warsaw. They did however give us room and board for the night but I was a little sad to say the least that after flying across the Atlantic it would be one more night apart bummer :(. Enough :crying: I made it and the weather in very pleasent and the city is great. Maybe NOA2 while here, that would be awsome :thumbs: 4 hour ride to Kherson by bus was, well lets just say you aint gettin any sleep. That road completly SUX ! We are going to Grandmothers tomorrow for BBQ got the pork chops in tha marinade and I will make home made BBQ sauce for them. Man I love these open markets you got everything (almost) All is so fresh and bright with color no wax coated pesticide laden veggies here. just very happy to be here with ma girl (L)

it is a "Shashlik" Should be fun! There will be plenty of alcohol there. The roads suck. One of the first things Alla noticed here...the roads are GREAT and there is no trash around. :lol:

The veggies are usually covered with DIRT and Alla was sure there was "something wrong" with our vegetables because they are "so clean". If anyone at the market is selling clean vegetables it is because they are not fresh or something and they are trying to make them look better. Ukrainians expect to wash dirt off things that grow in dirt, You will also notice that the eggs, even the eggs in the grocery stores, are covered with chicken sh*t and straw, etc. No problem...you eat the shell? They are also not refrigerated. When I am in Ukraine, I go to the ,arket with my MIL (I am her "mule" and carry all the bags) She will NOT buy clean veggies or eggs, she walks away shaking her head and saying "lets go to the next person there is something wrong with these". :lol:

For all you say, your fiancee is going to really enjoy our super-markets here. Those fresh vegetables disappear when it isn't May/June/July. The rest of the year you eat onions and potatoes and cucumbers. There isn't much variety (apples are red or yellow and that is about it). Alla washes off the wax and pesticide but she sure loves all the variety and fresh fruit all year that we have here. We go through about a bushel basket of fruit each week, no kidding. Shop those markets 3 days a week for a few years and they lose a lot of their charm. However Alla insists on fresh milk and eggs and we buy those from a local farmer. If you can find someone in your area selling eggs right from under the chicken and milk right off the cow, you will be GOLD. Fortunatley we have a lot of such opportunity here.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Why the delay in Chicago? I have had great luck with LOT. The connecting flight in Warsaw is only 50 minutes to 1:15 minutes and I always have to rush thru the security point but have always made it. Although the security check point is a nightmare. The people never look to see they need to remove their jackets, belts and other metal objects. Every person has to have private instructions so it takes so long. The only problem I have is the same flight attendent always tells me that I have to check my carryon because there is no room. But I can clearly see that there is plenty of room in the overhead and have to argue until another flight attendant comes to my rescue. I refuse to check my bag because I always have important documents with me and from my experience of every receiving my bags in Odessa is a 50/50 chance. I will say that every time my bag is lost they do find it and deliver it to me in Odessa or Nikolaev. The only thing I have lost is a belt from one of my bags. They are pretty good doing follow up on lost baggage. Of course they call my wife and speak in russian which makes it much easier.

Ah the Marshrutka ride from Odessa to Kherson. Wonderful memories. Now I understand why many people drink on the ride. It amazes me that the driver thinks he is driving a Porshe when he is passing. Seeing the oncoming drivers eyes pop out of their head as you approach them head on has stopped my heart many times.

I am allowed to go to the market myself without adult supervision :dance: Most of the shop owners know me and they always help me with the grocery list that I am given. They are always very good to me. One time my fruit and vegetables woman's husband was at the shop and found out I was American. He gave me twice the amount of apples I wanted even after I said nyet. I had to meet all of his friends and spend about a 1/2 hour speaking to him and his friends. Needless to say I got scoulded when I arrived home. My wife wondered what took so long. She thought maybe I had been taken or found another woman. I just said I was having some rest with my friends. :thumbs: I always feel I have a much slower and easier pace of life when I am in Ukraine until I really need to get something done.

Edited by Al and Yulia

Timeline

Why the delay in Chicago? I have had great luck with LOT. The connecting flight in Warsaw is only 50 minutes to 1:15 minutes and I always have to rush thru the security point but have always made it. Although the security check point is a nightmare. The people never look to see they need to remove their jackets, belts and other metal objects. Every person has to have private instructions so it takes so long. The only problem I have is the same flight attendent always tells me that I have to check my carryon because there is no room. But I can clearly see that there is plenty of room in the overhead and have to argue until another flight attendant comes to my rescue. I refuse to check my bag because I always have important documents with me and from my experience of every receiving my bags in Odessa is a 50/50 chance. I will say that every time my bag is lost they do find it and deliver it to me in Odessa or Nikolaev. The only thing I have lost is a belt from one of my bags. They are pretty good doing follow up on lost baggage. Of course they call my wife and speak in russian which makes it much easier.

Ah the Marshrutka ride from Odessa to Kherson. Wonderful memories. Now I understand why many people drink on the ride. It amazes me that the driver thinks he is driving a Porshe when he is passing. Seeing the oncoming drivers eyes pop out of their head as you approach them head on has stopped my heart many times.

I am allowed to go to the market myself without adult supervision :dance: Most of the shop owners know me and they always help me with the grocery list that I am given. They are always very good to me. One time my fruit and vegetables woman's husband was at the shop and found out I was American. He gave me twice the amount of apples I wanted even after I said nyet. I had to meet all of his friends and spend about a 1/2 hour speaking to him and his friends. Needless to say I got scoulded when I arrived home. My wife wondered what took so long. She thought maybe I had been taken or found another woman. I just said I was having some rest with my friends. :thumbs: I always feel I have a much slower and easier pace of life when I am in Ukraine until I really need to get something done.

That volcano is still delaying things, I will bet that is what it was. Alla's flight last Saturday was delayed 5 hours. Fortunately she knew about it ahead of time and spent a few more hours having dinner in Manhattan. Poor thing.

I have always found the people in Ukraine to be friendly to visitors and maybe perhaps more so in Odessa. Great people.

And yes, there is a slower and less stressful pace in Ukraine. And maybe it is just me, or selective memory, but the air in Odessa always seemed to be scented with perfume from all the marvelous beautiful women walking around. I can always close my eyes, hear the click of heels on the stones and know I am in Ukraine.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I have never noticed any perfume or beautiful women in Ukraine. I only look at my wife or the ground ;):whistle:

:rofl:

Um, yeah, of course. Besides I lived there BEFORE I met Alla.

Gary And Alla

However Alla insists on fresh milk and eggs and we buy those from a local farmer. If you can find someone in your area selling eggs right from under the chicken and milk right off the cow, you will be GOLD. Fortunatley we have a lot of such opportunity here.

Exactly why the local Whole Foods is our hagout. No farms here in the city, and there is no WAY I am driving around the countryside trying to find fresh produce.

Why the delay in Chicago? I have had great luck with LOT. The connecting flight in Warsaw is only 50 minutes to 1:15 minutes and I always have to rush thru the security point but have always made it. Although the security check point is a nightmare. The people never look to see they need to remove their jackets, belts and other metal objects. Every person has to have private instructions so it takes so long.

I usually see the outbound flight to Odessa or Kiev delayed 45 minutes to get all of us from America on it.

I have never noticed any perfume or beautiful women in Ukraine. I only look at my wife or the ground ;):whistle:

Er... me too! Tough to do though, as I do find the scent of designer perfume, garlic, and fish attractive on a woman.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

Exactly why the local Whole Foods is our hagout. No farms here in the city, and there is no WAY I am driving around the countryside trying to find fresh produce.

I usually see the outbound flight to Odessa or Kiev delayed 45 minutes to get all of us from America on it.

Er... me too! Tough to do though, as I do find the scent of designer perfume, garlic, and fish attractive on a woman.

You never can find the fish though, can you?

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I think the arrival flight was delayed from the volcano thing but it seems ICE was looking for someone on our flight to Warsaw. The quickly found the person but getting their luggage was a different story. When I said to flight attendent lets go and we can send their luggage back to then, She looks very seriously at me and says, No we do not want to ride with this luggage!!!!!!! I turned around sat down and shut up after that :)

Met online Sep 26 2009

Traveled to Ukraine Jan 22 2010

Spent 33 wonderful days together

Returned to US Feb 25 2010

K1 filed March 2010

Sent to VSC 2010-03-06

Received 03-08

Check cashed 03-10

NOA 1 dated 03-11

updated 03-16

Spending a week in Odessa and Kherson together 5-19-10 :)))))

NO RFE's

NOA 2 6-24-10

NVC recieve 6-28-10

NOA 2 Hard copy receive 6-29-10

NVC forward to Kiev 6-29-10 That was easy :)

Embassy receive 7-2-2010

Leave US 8-10 to attend interview

Interview 8-12-2010 :)))))))

VISA APPROVED 8-12-2010

POE Houston Tx. 8-20-2010

MARRIED Sep 25 2010 :))))))

It's all about perspective!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

You never can find the fish though, can you?

With a beak the size of mine? Easy! Usually around the hands and mouth. Although with the garlic, almost anywhere.

Edited by Brad and Vika

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

I guess you missed the old joke Brad...

What are 14 animals that live in a woman's pantyhose?

10 little piggies

2 calves

1 @ss

and 1 fish no one can seem to find. :blink:

Bad joke and absolutely not true of Ukrainian women!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Uh, just how many Ukrainian women did you "survey" that allows you to generalize so sweepingly?

some things will never be revealed. :whistle:

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

well the weather the last two days was just beautiful taking the bus back to Odessa tomorrow. I am a little sad to leave again, no NOA 2 while here, bummer :( but the good side is we are getting closer every day and this trip was a bonus. Now back to US and work to wait out USCIS. It looks like some March filers are starting to get NOA 2's :dance: so maybe I will be coming back in 6 or 8 weeks :thumbs: TY to all for local info. I look forward to visiting our family here at least once a year to explore a bit more each time.

Met online Sep 26 2009

Traveled to Ukraine Jan 22 2010

Spent 33 wonderful days together

Returned to US Feb 25 2010

K1 filed March 2010

Sent to VSC 2010-03-06

Received 03-08

Check cashed 03-10

NOA 1 dated 03-11

updated 03-16

Spending a week in Odessa and Kherson together 5-19-10 :)))))

NO RFE's

NOA 2 6-24-10

NVC recieve 6-28-10

NOA 2 Hard copy receive 6-29-10

NVC forward to Kiev 6-29-10 That was easy :)

Embassy receive 7-2-2010

Leave US 8-10 to attend interview

Interview 8-12-2010 :)))))))

VISA APPROVED 8-12-2010

POE Houston Tx. 8-20-2010

MARRIED Sep 25 2010 :))))))

I guess you missed the old joke Brad...

What are 14 animals that live in a woman's pantyhose?

10 little piggies

2 calves

1 @ss

and 1 fish no one can seem to find. :blink:

Bad joke and absolutely not true of Ukrainian women!

I got the joke - just no WAY I was going to respond to it :whistle:

well the weather the last two days was just beautiful taking the bus back to Odessa tomorrow. I am a little sad to leave again, no NOA 2 while here, bummer :( but the good side is we are getting closer every day and this trip was a bonus. Now back to US and work to wait out USCIS. It looks like some March filers are starting to get NOA 2's :dance: so maybe I will be coming back in 6 or 8 weeks :thumbs: TY to all for local info. I look forward to visiting our family here at least once a year to explore a bit more each time.

You may be surprised. We had the NOA2, and the online status wasn't updated for almost a year. It could be in your mail when you get back. Good for you taking a 1 week trip, I just hate the jet lag too much. I did it a few times to different countries in Eastern Europe, but decided the travel was partly wasted for me.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.