grooveman

Back from Montreal Visa in Hand

15 posts in this topic

Well we got through the week and everything went fairly smoothly. Wife had her CR-1 interview on Thursday the 13th. Here is the rundown of our experience.

We arrived in Montreal Sunday and with a room reserved at the Days Inn Downtown. When we arrived there were fire trucks everywhere due to an alarm malfunction in the hotel which had evacuated everyone into the hotel lobby. We had to wait a couple of hours for our room. Not a good beginning.

Once everything calmed down we were able to check in and walk around downtown a bit. Restaurants were within easy walking distance and the consulate in only about a 15 minute walk from the hotel.

Took a cab to Dr Seidens office Monday morning and got the physical out of the way. One thing we did not know is that they do NOT offer a courier service from that office so we had to take another cab ride to pick up the results which were ready by 2PM on Weds.

Thursday by 0715 we were in line to get into the consulate and there were already a lot of people waiting. As many have said here before, be sure you wait to the left side of the doorway as you are facing the consulate. Most were lined up on the right which was good for us since the guard had everyone on the right line up behind us to get inside. They opened the doors early and took us upstairs. We were third in line.

We were worried about my Wife not having her long form birth certificate since we were told she would need it at the interview. We had sent away for it a few weeks before but of course it didn't get to us in time. Turns out we didn't need it after all since they took her wallet sized one.

Interview went quickly with just a few quick questions about how we met and so forth. My Wifes visa was approved and we were pleasantly surprised to learn that we could go back the same day to pick up her visa which was ready by 3PM. So it turns out that we didn't need the xpress post envelope we spent $25 on. Oh well.

All in all a good experience and we thoroughly enjoyed spending the week in Montreal which is a beautiful city. If you have any extra time take the bus tour to Quebec City, highly recommended!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Cool!! As you found out, doesn't hurt in asking to pick up the visa, all they can do is say no,lol Congrats

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Congratulations! Glad the birth certificate issue worked out and what a nice bonus to be able to pick up your visa the same day!

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Timeline

Congratulations! Yes, Montreal is a beautiful city - I'm glad you had a chance to enjoy it.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Well we got through the week and everything went fairly smoothly. Wife had her CR-1 interview on Thursday the 13th. Here is the rundown of our experience.

We arrived in Montreal Sunday and with a room reserved at the Days Inn Downtown. When we arrived there were fire trucks everywhere due to an alarm malfunction in the hotel which had evacuated everyone into the hotel lobby. We had to wait a couple of hours for our room. Not a good beginning.

Once everything calmed down we were able to check in and walk around downtown a bit. Restaurants were within easy walking distance and the consulate in only about a 15 minute walk from the hotel.

Took a cab to Dr Seidens office Monday morning and got the physical out of the way. One thing we did not know is that they do NOT offer a courier service from that office so we had to take another cab ride to pick up the results which were ready by 2PM on Weds.

Thursday by 0715 we were in line to get into the consulate and there were already a lot of people waiting. As many have said here before, be sure you wait to the left side of the doorway as you are facing the consulate. Most were lined up on the right which was good for us since the guard had everyone on the right line up behind us to get inside. They opened the doors early and took us upstairs. We were third in line.

We were worried about my Wife not having her long form birth certificate since we were told she would need it at the interview. We had sent away for it a few weeks before but of course it didn't get to us in time. Turns out we didn't need it after all since they took her wallet sized one.

Interview went quickly with just a few quick questions about how we met and so forth. My Wifes visa was approved and we were pleasantly surprised to learn that we could go back the same day to pick up her visa which was ready by 3PM. So it turns out that we didn't need the xpress post envelope we spent $25 on. Oh well.

All in all a good experience and we thoroughly enjoyed spending the week in Montreal which is a beautiful city. If you have any extra time take the bus tour to Quebec City, highly recommended!

Congrats to you guys Grooveman !! Good to hear. Hey I see you don't have a timeline completed. When did you start the process and more importantly, when did you get case complete and how long in between case complete and an interview?? thanks

2007 Nov 30: Met in Las Vegas, Nevada

2009 Jul 13: Proposed/Engaged in Sedona, Arizona

2009 Dec 26: Married in Tucson, Arizona

USCIS

2009 Dec 30: Filed I-130

2010 Jan 02: I-130 delivered

2010 Jan 07: NOA1 - email - CSC

2010 Jan 11: Received NOA1 hardcopy

2010 Mar 24: NOA2 - email & text - NVC

2010 Mar 29: Received NOA2 hardcopy

I-130 was approved in 76 days from NOA1 date

NVC

2010 Mar 30: NVC received - case# assigned - emails given to NVC

2010 Mar 30: Opted in - DS3032 emailed to NVC

2010 Mar 31: Received AOS bill & DS3032 - paid AOS

2010 Apr 05: Online payment portal confirms paid AOS(Apr 2 processing date)

2010 Apr 05: Sent I-864 package

2010 Apr 15: EP confirmation email

2010 Apr 15: IV bill generated & paid

2010 Apr 15: Email confirmation - receipt of DS3032

2010 Apr 16: IV bill confirmed paid - sent DS230 package

2010 Apr 19: NVC operator confirms I864 & DS230 documents have been received

2010 Apr 21: AVR confirms all documents received Apr 19th

2010 Apr 23: Email from NVC: case complete - confirmed by NVC - sign in fail

Completed in 24 days

CONSULATE

2010 May 27: Email from NVC - consulate received file - interview Montreal Jul 27th

2010 Jun 16: Medical @ Woking Medical Centre, Vancouver, Canada - APPROVED

2010 Jul 27: Interview @ US Consulate in Montreal, Canada - APPROVED

Your interview took 201 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

2010 Aug 13:POE Washington - APPROVED

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

2012 May 14 - mailed I-751

2012 May 16 - delivered @ CSC

2012 Jun 18 - I 551 stamp

2012 Jun 28 - biometrics appointment NOA notice date Jun 7

2012 Dec 20 - approved

Congrats to you guys Grooveman !! Good to hear. Hey I see you don't have a timeline completed. When did you start the process and more importantly, when did you get case complete and how long in between case complete and an interview?? thanks

Thanks to all. I never completed a timeline because I came to this forum well after we started the process and I didn't remember all the dates. We started the K3 process in September 2008. It took us about 1 1/2 years from start to finish mainly because there were some delays on our part getting the paperwork back to USCIS. The case was completed in Feburary, we received the appointment email in March with a date set for May 13th.

Edited by grooveman

Congrats

Removal of Conditions: 12/09/2011

ROC check cashed 12/15/11

NOA1 12/13/11

Biometrics 1/6/12 Complete

RFE 9/13/12

RFE package sent back 10/17/12

Card Production Ordered 12/04/12

10 year card arrived in mail 12/10/12

Grats! And thanks for letting us know you were able to pick up the visa the same day!

Married: 01/02/09

I-130 filed: 11/06/09

NOA1: 11/13/09

NOA2: 02/11/10

NVC received: 02/18/10

Case complete @ NVC: 04/14/10

Interview @ Montreal: 07/13/10 - Approved

POE: Sweetgrass, MT, 08/07/10

Filed for ROC: 07/20/12

Biometrics appt: 08/24/12

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Grats! And thanks for letting us know you were able to pick up the visa the same day!

Most are not that lucky, but it doesnt hurt to ask!! All they can do is say no!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.