martinbr

Recent Tax Return and new i-864

10 posts in this topic

My 2009 tax returns were submitted to NVC. I will be sending a copy of my 2009 tax returns along with necessary papers form my wife's interview on June 4th. Do I need to have a new modified I-864 along with my tax returns showing the income for 2009 on it? I read somewhere that the original i-864 sent to the NVC has a indifinite time limit on it.

My dilema is that although my income for 2009 was way above the poverty level, I am still unemployed. I have unemployment insurance coming in. But for what I get is below the poverty level. I really don't want to be sending in unemployment stubs. Might not look too good. Hoping to get a job soon.

Do you think this is going to be a issue at the Embassy? Do most times do they ask for pay stubs or is my original i-864 and current taxes going to stand up? I really don't have any family to sponsor also.

martinbr

My 2009 tax returns were submitted to NVC. I will be sending a copy of my 2009 tax returns along with necessary papers form my wife's interview on June 4th. Do I need to have a new modified I-864 along with my tax returns showing the income for 2009 on it? I read somewhere that the original i-864 sent to the NVC has a indifinite time limit on it.

My dilema is that although my income for 2009 was way above the poverty level, I am still unemployed. I have unemployment insurance coming in. But for what I get is below the poverty level. I really don't want to be sending in unemployment stubs. Might not look too good. Hoping to get a job soon.

Do you think this is going to be a issue at the Embassy? Do most times do they ask for pay stubs or is my original i-864 and current taxes going to stand up? I really don't have any family to sponsor also.

martinbr

hi, in my interview they didnt ask me about my husband tax or anything. they just ask for my emails, I.M, cards,phonecalls and non wedding and wedding pics. thats it. i made mistake because the DS230 form that I sent to NVC the part 2 that boxes need to be check i didnt check it but im glad that I brought a new DS230 with box checked so thats what they took to me. they didnt ask anything what we sent to NVC. but if you were worried then send it to them. send it to fedex it just takes 2 days.

I don't understand - if you submitted your 2009 tax returns with the initial submission, why would you have to send a modified one now?

Do you mean your 2008 returns?

Normally - they go by the most recent tax returns of the date you submit the paperwork, so you that should be sufficient.

However, they may inquire about "current" income/job - so you should be prepared to do so.

(here are the paticulars they do for the 864)

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

I don't understand - if you submitted your 2009 tax returns with the initial submission, why would you have to send a modified one now?

Do you mean your 2008 returns?

Normally - they go by the most recent tax returns of the date you submit the paperwork, so you that should be sufficient.

However, they may inquire about "current" income/job - so you should be prepared to do so.

(here are the paticulars they do for the 864)

No, the NVC suggested that I send in 2009 tax returns and w-2 stubs because I had to re-submit my wife's ds-230 application because of something that I forgot to fill out. So this copy I imagine is goint out with the papers to the Embassy in Manila.

martinbr

hi, in my interview they didnt ask me about my husband tax or anything. they just ask for my emails, I.M, cards,phonecalls and non wedding and wedding pics. thats it. i made mistake because the DS230 form that I sent to NVC the part 2 that boxes need to be check i didnt check it but im glad that I brought a new DS230 with box checked so thats what they took to me. they didnt ask anything what we sent to NVC. but if you were worried then send it to them. send it to fedex it just takes 2 days.

You know, at this point all I can do is pray that things are going to work out. It has been a long hard three years of this immigration mess. The only thing that I forgot to do is make a copy of the original signed copy of my I-864. But I think they just want another copy showing that it is the same that was sent to NVC. Thanks for the tip on Fedex. I was going to use LBC, all they are is a middle man. They just throw the ball over to fedex or USPS for wherever it's going.

martinbr

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So you are going with the I-864 you originally sent in and as it should be sufficient you are hoping they do not want to discuss your 2009 income/current employment.

Well, it's hard to say. The CO can ask for updated information at anytime and I would imagine that 'where do you work' or 'where does your SO work' is probably a pretty standard interview question.

Good luck.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I submitted a new I-864 and our 2009 joint taxes prior to the interview to VFS (particular to India) and on interview day, the pre-screener did ask for my joint sponsor's 2009 taxes since those hadn't gone into NVC.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

So you are going with the I-864 you originally sent in and as it should be sufficient you are hoping they do not want to discuss your 2009 income/current employment.

Well, it's hard to say. The CO can ask for updated information at anytime and I would imagine that 'where do you work' or 'where does your SO work' is probably a pretty standard interview question.

Good luck.

Here's the problem. This has been going on for almost 3 years. I have been delaying like crazy because of being laid off last July. Yes going on almost 9 months on unemployment. So when I called the NVC, I asked them whether I should ammend a 2009 tax return with the original 2008 I-864 return. They said it would be a good idea. So it's being sent to the embassy with other papers. It's too late now. So I am sending a copy of the 2008, 2009 transcripts along with a copy of the original I-864.

Whatever happens, happens. I am tired of worrying about it. I will deal with it if they want something else and have to rescedule a interview. I have done all I can. I have all my unemployment stubs that I could send but I don't think it would look to good, so I left them out. My 2009 return was around 47,000.00 so it's way over poverty level. It's just tough right now in the states, and have been looking for work like crazy with no luck. I'm 58 years old and that's another roadblock in looking for work where I live in the S.F. bay area. I had a favorable interview with company that I will check back next week to see where I stand. So I pray that everything is going to work out.

martinbr

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes I certainly understand, it's a tough situation and I guess a co-sponsor is not an option for you.

Well good luck, please let us know how it goes.

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.