_Simpson_

Britain's David Cameron becomes PM; Brown out

37 posts in this topic

By DAVID STRINGER, Associated Press Writer – 5 mins ago

LONDON – Conservative leader David Cameron became Britain's youngest prime minister in almost 200 years Tuesday, after Gordon Brown stepped down and ended 13 years of Labour at the helm of the government.

In a carefully choreographed dance, Cameron visited Buckingham Palace and was asked to form a government by Queen Elizabeth II less than an hour after Brown himself tendered his resignation to the monarch.

Cameron, whose party won the most House of Commons seats in last week's election but fell just short of a majority, is, at 43, the youngest British leader since Lord Liverpool in 1812.

The high political drama came as the Conservatives and the third-place Liberal Democrats hammered out the details of a coalition deal after the country's inconclusive election.

Standing outside 10 Downing St. alongside his wife Sarah, Brown announced he would travel to see the monarch to resign — allowing Cameron to take office, possibly as part of deal with Nick Clegg, leader of the Liberal Democrats.

"I wish the next prime minister well as he makes the important choices for the future," said Brown. "Only those who have held the office of prime minister can understand the full weight of its responsibilities and its great capacity for good."

Brown said he had "loved the job, not for its prestige, its titles and its ceremony, which I do not love at all."

"No, I loved the job for its potential to make this country I love fairer, more tolerant, more green, more democratic, more prosperous, more just — truly a greater Britain."

After his brief statement, the 59-year-old Brown walked hand-in-hand with his wife and young sons John and Fraser down Downing Street, where a car waited to take him to the palace.

Link

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I'm so happy!!!

Edited by _Simpson_

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He still has to form a government. I wonder how long he can herd cats before the next vote of "No Confidence".

I've got my fingers crossed.

Edited by _Simpson_

Filed: Timeline

He still has to form a government. I wonder how long he can herd cats before the next vote of "No Confidence".

It is amazing to me that this is the system Brit expats like to crow about as an "example" for us to follow.

Yes, a great example, if you're into instability and like to have 6-week campaigns every 2 months.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

It is amazing to me that this is the system Brit expats like to crow about as an "example" for us to follow.

Yes, a great example, if you're into instability and like to have 6-week campaigns every 2 months.

Who said it's an example for the US to follow? If you think I did, you misunderstood. Having said that, a hung parliament is not very common. Once every 70 years or so ishardly constitutional instability.

As for Cameron, as Paxman said, he's a pompous git, and I don't expect great things from his leadership.

Edited by Madame Cleo

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Wonderful, we have a Prime Minister where two thirds of the UK population never voted for him. First Past the Post system is outdated and needs to be replaced.

K1 Visa Timeline
15th Dec 08 - I129F posted to VSC
1st June 09 - Interview at 9am, Medical at 2:50pm
15th June 09 - K1 Visa approved and received
23rd June 09 - Point of Entry (Atlanta, Georgia)
17th July 09 - Married

AOS + EAD + AP Timeline
25th Aug 09 - AOS + EAD + AP posted to Chicago Lockbox
2nd Oct 09 - EAD + AP Approved
22nd Oct 09 - AOS Approved
30th Oct 09 - Green Card in hand!

Removing Conditions Timeline
29th Sept 11 - I-751 posted to VSC
26th Sept 12 - Approved

Citizenship Timeline

20th Feb 15 - N-400 posted to Lewisville Lockbox

15th June 15 - Interview

1st July 15 - Oath Ceremony

NOW A US CITIZEN!

Probably longer than our neighbour's PM Harper (who has managed it for four years so far).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Yay! Some Movement !!

GoGoGadget FormAGovernment !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Cameron, whose party won the most House of Commons seats in last week's election but fell just short of a majority, is, at 43, the youngest British leader since Lord Liverpool in 1812.

We all know how great Lord Liverpool was (he had city named after him) so it's a good omen for PM Cameron. ;)

Edited by alienlovechild

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Filed: Timeline

Wonderful, we have a Prime Minister where two thirds of the UK population never voted for him. First Past the Post system is outdated and needs to be replaced.

I thought there wasn't a popular vote for PM, just voting for your member of Parliament, much like selecting the Speaker of the House in the US. In that case, very few folks actually "voted" for Cameron, or Pelosi.

I thought there wasn't a popular vote for PM, just voting for your member of Parliament, much like selecting the Speaker of the House in the US. In that case, very few folks actually "voted" for Cameron, or Pelosi.

There isn't. The prime minister is generally whoever is leader of the party that forms the government and the leadership rules vary by party.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Yay! Some Movement !!

GoGoGadget FormAGovernment !

:lol:

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Timeline

Yup - is never by 'popular vote' - something lost on many USCitizens.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

We all know how great Lord Liverpool was (he had city named after him) so it's a good omen for PM Cameron. ;)

Just what the hai do you know about the UK system of government anyway? Or is this just another one of those millionsofthings you think you know what you're talking blowinghotair about?

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Timeline

I'd venture a different percentage to ya - without me studying the data - I'd say 98 percent of the UK population DID NOT VOTE for him. Luckily, he WAS re-elected to his seat in Parliament, though (and those are the only UK voters that matter, for him to 'be seated')