4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I have a couple of questions on the I485 form. We just got married on May 8th. My wife entered on a K1 visa. Do we file with her new married name on the form or the name on her visa? There are also boxes for current USCIS status and in what status did you last enter. Wouldn't these be the same in our case?

I am also not sure which number on her visa they are looking for when asking for visa number.

Thanks

Steve

Edited by iowaseabee

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I have a couple of questions on the I485 form. We just got married on May 8th. My wife entered on a K1 visa.

Q1: Do we file with her new married name on the form

Q2: or the name on her visa?

Q3: There are also boxes for current USCIS status and in what status did you last enter. Wouldn't these be the same in our case?

Q4: asking for visa number.

Thanks

Steve

I just noticed your name is Iowa to YAY IOWA!!

Please have a look here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/235331-aos-ead-ap-from-k1-the-aussie-way-doc-list-included/ which has all the AOS info.

To answer your questions directly:

1. If your wife has chosen to take your name then she will complete all forms in her married name. Anywhere where it says "prior names" she must put her maiden name (I personally wrote my WHOLE maiden name just so there was no confusion)

2. See 1. above

3. Yes. She entered on the K1 and is still a K1. This option is here because it is possible for other visa types to adjust their status to another one from the one they entered, say a F1 to H1B or something like that. PLease see the example forms.

4. Number in red on the passport (there is an example on the link I posted)

Best of luck. I hope the thread I posted helps :D

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I just noticed your name is Iowa to YAY IOWA!!

Please have a look here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/235331-aos-ead-ap-from-k1-the-aussie-way-doc-list-included/ which has all the AOS info.

To answer your questions directly:

1. If your wife has chosen to take your name then she will complete all forms in her married name. Anywhere where it says "prior names" she must put her maiden name (I personally wrote my WHOLE maiden name just so there was no confusion)

2. See 1. above

3. Yes. She entered on the K1 and is still a K1. This option is here because it is possible for other visa types to adjust their status to another one from the one they entered, say a F1 to H1B or something like that. PLease see the example forms.

4. Number in red on the passport (there is an example on the link I posted)

Best of luck. I hope the thread I posted helps :D

Thanks for the info. You are in Davenport? We are in Muscatine.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thanks for the info. You are in Davenport? We are in Muscatine.

Technically a little town on I-30 between DeWitt and Wheatland. :)

Hope my info was of some use to you :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.