Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Specific I-130 questions

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany

Hey again ,

For this form I am not 100% sure bout the following questions

2) Adress --> Can we use a PO Box for this ? My fiancee is planning on moving after we filed so it would be better if we could use that right away.If not is the last name on the mail box sufficient or does it have to be the full name( think I read that somewhere)

7) Other names used --> She wants to change her name but we do not know how to handle this.Can we put the new last name before changing it or how does that work in general ?

15) Name and address of prsent employer --> I guess this just has to be answered if workin in the US correct ?

21) last address you lived together --> what do you all put here , I dont think with all the regulations etc that most couples have not been living together before. Do we need to fill something in here at all ?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada


Since you posted this in the CR1/IR1 forum, I assume that is what you are ultimately applying for.

I don't know the answer to the PO box question.

As for other names used, what name does she use now? The I-130 petition is not the place to change her name, that is something outside immigration (I may be misunderstanding you).

The place on the form for "other names used" should either be her maiden name or married name, depends which one she is using in day to day life now.

I just looked at some of your other posts and now see that your wife is the petitioner. To change a name from a maiden name to a married name she needs to contact everyone who has her maiden name. So for instance, if she wants her married name on her bank account she needs to contact them and let them know - each company will tell her what she must do to accomplish this (send in a copy of the marriage certificate or whatever they require)

If you have never lived together - put N/A - you don't want to leave any field blank.

Edited by trailmix

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand

2. Not certain, but I think no. Call the National Customer Service Center to be sure. The phone number is on the instructions.

7. See below.

15. She's the one filling it out. It's her present employer. Anywhere.

21. N/A or Never lived together.

The name change.

I went in to change my last name with the SSA. The same day, I sent in my application for a new passport. When I got the passport back, I sent in the I-130. The SSA had yet to change my last name (long story).

If you're using her passport to prove her citizenship, then you might want to wait for that to change first. If you don't want to wait, then use her birth certificate. Send in her birth certificate and your marriage certificate. She'll enter her new, married name as her legal name and list her maiden name under "other names used". In the cover letter you're going to write, explain it. "I am submitting my birth certificate to prove my citizenship. I am including my marriage certificate to establish my marital relationship with Mr. James Smith. I have taken his surname as my own." Or something like that.

I had a timeline of my names.

Jane Marie Farang DOB - Date of First Wedding

Jane Marie Deetalot Date of First Wedding - Date of Second Wedding (Divorced on Date but retained former spouse's surname)

Jane Marie Rakganmak Date of Second Wedding - Present

Her name is changed from the moment you are married, if she wants it to be changed. Contacting SSA, local driver's license office, passport office, employer, credit cards, bank, etc. just updates them. Usually states have rules about updating your driver's license within 90 days of a name change and things like that. From there, you generally want the name on your ID to match the name on your financial records. If you're traveling or needing your passport for ID, you would want that to match as well. As that all takes time, you might want to go the birth certificate method mentioned above if you want to start quickly. I would at least make the change at the SSA, though.

USCIS : 104 Days

10-30-2009 : I-130 and Documents Sent

11-06-2009 : NOA1

02-18-2010 : NOA2

NVC : 66 Days

02-24-2010 : Case Number Assigned

02-25-2010 : E-Mails Given to NVC Operator

02-26-2010 : DS-3032 Sent by E-Mail

03-02-2010 : Received DS-3032 and AOS Bill

03-02-2010 : DS-3032 Accepted

03-02-2010 : Pay AOS and IV Bill Online

03-04-2010 : AOS Shows PAID

03-08-2010 : IV Bill Shows PAID

03-09-2010 : AOS and Documents Sent

03-09-2010 : Receive IV Bill

03-19-2010 : DS-230 and Documents Sent

03-24-2010 : False RFE for DS-230; Confirmed AOS Reviewed and No Missing Information Found

04-02-2010 : Sign-In Failed. Thank you, Lord!

04-05-2010 : Case Completed at NVC

04-15-2010 : Majorly Unhappy with NVC

04-30-2010 : Interview Date Assigned

Embassy :

05-06-2010 : Medical Exam

06-08-2010 : Interview Date -- Approved! Experience and Review

06-18-2010 : Visa Received

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany

Well I guess this is a little bit tricky then. She is not born in the US. So I guess we would have to use her passport.But we cannot wait as we will not be in the USA after we are getting married.So we would have to wait about 2 months and we dont want to waste that time.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

She can use her new married name on the I-130 for USCIS. When it comes time for the NVC and she has to send in a copy of her passport biographic page, NVC will use the name that is listed on that.

OUR JOURNEY SO FAR: (dd/mm/yyyy)

18/09/09 - CR1 NOA1

16/07/10 - POE LAX (256 days NOA1 to interview)

27/09/10 - Aussie/American bun in the oven due May 10, 2011

06/01/11 - Submitted change of address online to USCIS. Mailed I-865 for sponsor. Neverending!

05/05/11 - Bouncing baby boy arrives

10/07/12 - Sent I-751

13/07/12 - I-751 NOA1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...