wissooner

free to marry

155 posts in this topic

My divorce decree says I cannot remarry anywhere in the world for six months.............Ken

04/19/2006 - met for the first time

01/12/2007 - sent I-129f to Nebraska

01/22/2007 - NOA1

04/20/2007 - NOA2

07/20/2007- Interview in Moscow

09/19/2007- Married

01/25/2008- AOS package mailed

08/27/2008-Interview-approved

09/10/2008-GC received

08/21/2010-10yr green card received

love is where you find it, even if it is a half a world away

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.......but I'd like to see evidence of that actually having happened before I will advise someone that this is black and white.

Jen

Not me. A denial is far worse to overcome than an RFE. Personally I would not like to have my advice be a contributing factor to someone's denial.

The question is whether you have a divorce decree. If yes, then you can file your I-129F.

You have the option to wait the 6 months, and waste time that way but USCIS does not care about the 6 months period because they know you have the choice of getting married in another state that does not have residency requirements like Nevada.

You dont have to get married in the state you live in or the state you got divorced in, as long as you dont break any laws.

That's some pretty strong advice to give someone that could potentially open the door to their petition being denied.

Which is why I followed up with it being 'my interpretation'....

The debate about opinion vs. fact has been well-voiced on this board.

And now we know what the divorce decree says, so the matter is closed.

Edited by JenT

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Hmm......I guess thats it then, I wait. Now I have to tell my significant other the bad news.......this is not a good day :( ...........................................Ken

01/22/2007 - NOA1

04/20/2007 - NOA2

09/19/2007- Married

09/10/2008-GC received

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
This is nonsense, john and marlene.

He can file for the I-129F ASAP. Divorce are regulated by state laws and one is free to marry anywhere as long as they comply with THAT STATE'S laws. He is not a bigamist because hes already divorced. I-129F and immigration are federal matters and the federal govt will look at the generic way of divorcing a marriage common among all states, which is the decree and thats what they will go by.

They have no time to look at what state requires what time to remarry. They are not that smart anyway otherwise they would be working at the court house!

Although you may not be free to marry in the state you reside are you not free to marry in say Las Vegas? And it appears it will be a moot point anyways as you will surely wait quite a while for your visa, so that with the 90 days you get on your visa to marry you will be able to fufill your states requirements. This is purely speculation on my part, you may wish to check in with a lawyer on this, there are some who do free online consults.

No, you are not free to marry anywhere until the specified time has passed. If you remarry anywhere in the world before the specified time, you will be a bigamist.

wanna bet???

The USCIS is very aware of state laws. They even have a legal staff to review things like this for legal opinions. I would even think that the final court order that he intends to submit even contains to words that cannot legally remarry for six months. Sure...go to Las Vegas...they will issue a marriage license to anyone who want to get married. They dont even care about seeing previous divorce papers....but that will not make the marriage legal in the eyes of the home state as it is voidable by any court in the home state on the motion of any party who would have standing with the court....like a previous spouse. Might as well get a divorce in Guam....make look good on paper but is voidable in the home state as the states that Im aware of have laws about voiding divorce decrees received in other states that were granted only as a means of circumventing to family laws of the home state. The USCIS will not honor such divorce decrees either under the concept of Full Faith and Credit provisions of the US Constitution, as each state reserves the right to make their own Family Law.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

This is nonsense, john and marlene.

He can file for the I-129F ASAP. Divorce are regulated by state laws and one is free to marry anywhere as long as they comply with THAT STATE'S laws. He is not a bigamist because hes already divorced. I-129F and immigration are federal matters and the federal govt will look at the generic way of divorcing a marriage common among all states, which is the decree and thats what they will go by.

They have no time to look at what state requires what time to remarry. They are not that smart anyway otherwise they would be working at the court house!

Although you may not be free to marry in the state you reside are you not free to marry in say Las Vegas? And it appears it will be a moot point anyways as you will surely wait quite a while for your visa, so that with the 90 days you get on your visa to marry you will be able to fufill your states requirements. This is purely speculation on my part, you may wish to check in with a lawyer on this, there are some who do free online consults.

No, you are not free to marry anywhere until the specified time has passed. If you remarry anywhere in the world before the specified time, you will be a bigamist.

Just because they may not look it up and catch it does not make it right. How ever much you want to be correct about this, you are wrong.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

I know when my husband got his decree there was a waiting period of 6 weeks before he could get married again, but our lawyer did say that he could request to the judge to waive the waiting period...but I figure that is something the OP should have looked into before the decree was issued?

You have answered your own question here...You are not free to marry then. You should have divorced in another state.....

My divorce decree says I cannot remarry anywhere in the world for six months.............Ken

Yes, could've, should've, would've

01/22/2007 - NOA1

04/20/2007 - NOA2

09/19/2007- Married

09/10/2008-GC received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Stop the gripe. The only reason he cannot re-marry is because the divorce decree expressly states so i.e. he cannot remarry 6 months from the divorce date.

Stop all the other side shows. If the decree did not say so, USCIS would not give a hoot.

Filed: Other Timeline
Stop the gripe. The only reason he cannot re-marry is because the divorce decree expressly states so i.e. he cannot remarry 6 months from the divorce date.

Stop all the other side shows. If the decree did not say so, USCIS would not give a hoot.

But the decree did say so and therefore your initial advice was in error. Had to OP not stayed with the thread he possibly could have made a decision based on your rapid-fire postings and opinions which would have caused him more grief than this delay he must now face.

You seriously need to get over yourself.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

I suggest that you never become a lawyer. This is the worst advice Ive read read here. He simply is not free to marry, and you cant circumvent that as the home has jurisdiction on the matter, and always will. He cannot remarry because it is the state law....and the USCIS will go by the state law.....period!!

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Wrong.He did not state that his decree wrote that. He only said that the state laws had the rule. Its one thing for state laws to say one thing (USCIS may not know or wont check) and another when its in the decree for all to read.

Theres no rapid fire on my end, maybe you are the one who is looking for fights to pick with whoever is in the mood for such.

But the decree did say so and therefore your initial advice was in error. Had to OP not stayed with the thread he possibly could have made a decision based on your rapid-fire postings and opinions which would have caused him more grief than this delay he must now face.

Filed: Other Timeline
Wrong.He did not state that his decree wrote that. He only said that the state laws had the rule. Its one thing for state laws to say one thing (USCIS may not know or wont check) and another when its in the decree for all to read.

Theres no rapid fire on my end, maybe you are the one who is looking for fights to pick with whoever is in the mood for such.

No I'm not in the mood for a fight. And actually you hit the nail on the head when you state that his post did not declare what his decree says.

I've been on this board a good long while. It makes me VERY nervous to see people spitting out definitive answers when there are often many shades of gray to an issue. I never believe that someone is just trying to gain hearts (although some might be). I think rather they are in earnest trying to help. I've made errors in replies before and thank goodness someone caught them.

I'm advocating caution is all - and a less aggressive stance on your part.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.