wissooner

free to marry

155 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
You know what, am sure am correct on this matter, let everyone choose and pick what to do. This Desert fellow has really changed the whole matter into a series of issues.

This issue is easy and common sense:Once I have a divorce decree, I can file an I-129F immediately, barring anything on the decree to the contrary, because a divorce decree will always say that the marriage is HEREBY DISSOLVED.

What is so hard to understand there? Desertfox and his cheerleaders want us to believe that even if one has a divorce decree that has no restrictions, that they cant marry. What is the reason for the divorce decree then?

While you have a point you are wrong. See here: LINK It clearly states this: "You and your fiancé(e) must be free to marry." He is not legally free to marry so he can't legally file the I-129F.

I think it's BS that he's gotta wait 6 months when he's legally divorced but that's the law. It, like much in the immigration process, totally sucks!

Married on 11/21/06 in her hometown city Tumauini located in the Isabela province (Republic of the Philippines)

I-129 Timeline

12/12/06 - Mailed I-129 package to Chicago Service Center

12/14/06 - Received by Chicago Service Center

12/18/06 - NOA1 notice date from Missouri (NBC)

12/21/06 - NOA1 received in mail

12/27, 12/29, 12/31 - Touches

01/06/07 - Transfered to California Service Center

01/11/07 - Arrived at California Service Center

1/12, 1/16, 1/17, 2/6 - Touches

02/06/07 - NOA2 from California Service Center

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail

02/15/07 - Arrived at the NVC - MNL case # assigned

02/20/07 - Sent to US Embassy in Manila

02/26/07 - Received at Embassy

03/30/07 - Packet 4 received

05/09/07 - Medical scheduled (did early)

05/16/07 - Interview

05/23/07 - Visa Delivered

05/25/07 - POE in Newark, NJ

I-130 Timeline

11/27/06 - Mailed I-130 package to Texas Service Center

11/29/06 - Package received by Texas Service Center

12/06/06 - NOA1 notice date from California Service Center

12/09/06 - Touch

12/11/06 - NOA1 received in mail

02/06/07 - NOA2 from California Service Center

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail (I-130 held at CSC)

--------------------

Pinoy Info Forum - For the members of Asawa.org in diaspora

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline
I would think anyone with half a brain would carefully consider ALL information given, especially the advice of an attorney, as well as opinions (and, plainly stated, that's all they are) before making such a decision.

You are right in your thinking BUT you can't control the behavior of forum readers. Believe me I've seen 'em rip in here screaming for answers and roar right back out. That may be an extreme statement, but you know how some people are. Perhaps it's just as simple as they believe everything they read on the internet.

• 5 months later...

Hello forum I am back. If you took to trouble to glance thru this thread you would know that I was required by the state I live in to wait an additional 6 months after my divorce was final to be considered free to marry. That 6 month wait is now over so today I mailed off to Nebraska my I-129f. It is truly a joyous day. And to those who say that my wait as only just begun I would say to them that it is half over with already! :dance:

......................................Ken

04/19/2006 - met for the first time

01/12/2007 - sent I-129f to Nebraska

01/22/2007 - NOA1

04/20/2007 - NOA2

07/20/2007- Interview in Moscow

09/19/2007- Married

01/25/2008- AOS package mailed

08/27/2008-Interview-approved

09/10/2008-GC received

08/21/2010-10yr green card received

love is where you find it, even if it is a half a world away

I know that I cannot remarry for six months anywhere in the world. This is the price I pay for getting a divorce in Wisconsin. It would seem that I would have to wait for six months to submit a I-129f. I guess I will try and find a definitive answer from a lawyer. Anyone have any links to one? Almost all states have some sort of waiting period after divorce, funny the law does not make mention of this. Only refers to divorce and annulment. Also, fiance has six months to use visa, I wonder if it was intended for this six months to be used to wait out any state required wait to remarry? I dunno..........................Ken

Never mind - didn't see your newest post. Congratulations!

Edited by bostonparis

Remove Conditions

08-19-2009: I-751 Sent to VSC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Hello forum I am back. If you took to trouble to glance thru this thread you would know that I was required by the state I live in to wait an additional 6 months after my divorce was final to be considered free to marry. That 6 month wait is now over so today I mailed off to Nebraska my I-129f. It is truly a joyous day. And to those who say that my wait as only just begun I would say to them that it is half over with already! :dance:

......................................Ken

That's the right attitude around here!

Congratulations on finally being able to file. Good luck with the whole process.

Your signature calls for: Safe trip! Enjoy your stay! :)

I129F process:

20 July '06- I129F filed with CSC (Got a lawyer - BIG MISTAKE... Didn't know of VJ!!!)

28 July '06 - NOA1

08 Dec '06 - NOA2

06 Feb '07 - medical

12 Mar '07 ----- INTERVIEW ----- A P P R O V E D -----

4 Apr '07 - US entry - San Francisco

1 July '07 - MARRIED in SF :)

AOS process (after K-1):

24 July '07 - AOS application received by Chicago Office

09 August '07 - Biometrics appt letter

24 August '07 - RFE for I-485 (incomplete tax info sent!)

28 August '07 - NOA letters for AOS, EAD and AP

29 August '07 - Biometrics

AP - 12 October '07 - hard copy: multiple travel, valid 12 months

EAD - 18 October '07 - hard copy: valid from the date of 1st notice of card production

SSN - 30 October '07 (married name), applied Oct 18, same day I got my EAD

DL - 11 December '07 - driving test at DMV San Francisco. Yay! Now I can drive on the "wrong" side of the road!

21 November '07 - AOS Interview (Letter rec'd Oct 15) ----- A P P R O V E D ----- A P P R O V E D ----- A P P R O V E D -----

07 December '07 - GREENCARD IN MAIL

Peace and quiet... apply for removal of conditions - August 2009!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.