mox

Guys, don't forget May 9

46 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

You may already know this, but Russians make a distinction between the Great Patriotic War and WW2. The GPW was the Soviet Union's war with Germany, while WW2 is the all-inclusive war.

Actually, I didn't know :D. I always figured they used them interchangeably since every time you say WWII, they say GPW.

But yeah. If anyone's got cause to make a big deal of this war, it's Russia and the former Soviet countries. The Nazis decimated not only their population, but destroyed and hauled off as war trophies so much of their cultural heritage. My wife has stories from her grandparents that just raise the hair on the back of my neck.

Here's some pretty cool photos of a previous celebration in Moscow, and some pics from rehearsals for the upcoming parade.

They've been ramping up for the celebrations since about two weeks or so ago. I've been seeing a lot of stories about the war in their news recently. I guess it's sorta like us with X-mas, only they have tanks instead of reindeer.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

The Nazis decimated not only their population, but destroyed and hauled off as war trophies so much of their cultural heritage. My wife has stories from her grandparents that just raise the hair on the back of my neck.

Kind of like when the Bolsheviks destroyed much of the Russian population, art and culture back in 1917. People had hair-raising stories back then too.

Wonder if they use rubber treads on all those tanks.

Otherwise it's going to be hell on the streets.

Maybe that's why the roads are so bad?

The city streets (at least the big ones) must be made for that. I noticed it in Minsk too. Also when I was in South Korea years ago. I remember wondering early on why the cars were so small, but the streets so wide? Then I saw a column of ATVs rolling towards the Z, and understood. The roads there were under constant repair though.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Post containing personal attack has been removed

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yes, also Mother's Day!

Has anyone else heard the rumors? My mother in law told me the other day they are very concerned about a "civil war" in Ukraine. Seems the new government has invited the Russian and Belarussian military to join in the May 9 Parade in Kiev! After all they WERE one country at the time. On the surface it would appear no more offensive than having a British or Canadian military unit in one of our Memorial Day Parades...but in Ukraine it is not that simple. Her mom is afraid if the people from western Ukraine "go crazy" and shoot at the Russians the Russians will shoot back and the parade will turn into a battle. Seems a bit over the top, and my MIL, bless her soul, can be a bit over the top.

Alla is due to leave for a visit next Saturday and her mom is warning her to be careful.

Anyone else heard of this?

An egg fight might break out... :rofl:

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-16
Visa Approved!!: 2010-04-20
Visa Received: 2010-04-28
POE Chicago: 2010-05-01
Married: 2010-06-30
AOS filed: 2011-01-25
AOS Approved: 2011-03-25

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Timeline

Who was attacked?

You can incite people to put someone on "ignore" and drive him off the forum and that's not an attack. But any reply to that provocative comment is. Another interesting moderator call.

But I don't own the site. It's all good. I'm a big boy.

Edited by visaveteran

You can incite people to put someone on "ignore" and drive him off the forum and that's not an attack. But any reply to that provocative comment is. Another interesting moderator call.

But I don't own the site. It's all good. I'm a big boy.

Got it by reference. Thanks VV. ;)

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

Who was attacked?

The Russians :D.

The city streets (at least the big ones) must be made for that. I noticed it in Minsk too. Also when I was in South Korea years ago. I remember wondering early on why the cars were so small, but the streets so wide? Then I saw a column of ATVs rolling towards the Z, and understood. The roads there were under constant repair though.

I was surprised to see how small Red Square actually is. Well, not that it's super small or something, just that it's not nearly as big as it seems when you see pictures of all these military vehicles lined up on display.

An egg fight might break out... :rofl:

Agreed. I would think anything about a possible civil war would just be propaganda from an extremist who isn't part of the current ruling power.

I know Ukraine just went from a non pro Russia government to a pro Russia government.

Not suggesting the MIL is some sort of extremist, just probably the original source is.

(edited for errors)

Edited by Cixelsyd

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The Russians :D.

I was surprised to see how small Red Square actually is. Well, not that it's super small or something, just that it's not nearly as big as it seems when you see pictures of all these military vehicles lined up on display.

Agreed. I would think anything about a possible civil war would just be propaganda from an extremist who isn't part of the current ruling power.

I know Ukraine just went from a non pro Russia government to a pro Russia government.

Not suggesting the MIL is some sort of extremist, just probably the original source is.

(edited for errors)

Ukraine is just learning how to show political dissent without resorting to extreme reactions and personal attacks as we have learned not to do in the US. Uhh....Nevermind.... :lol:

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-16
Visa Approved!!: 2010-04-20
Visa Received: 2010-04-28
POE Chicago: 2010-05-01
Married: 2010-06-30
AOS filed: 2011-01-25
AOS Approved: 2011-03-25

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Filed: Timeline

Ukraine is just learning how to show political dissent without resorting to extreme reactions and personal attacks as we have learned not to do in the US. Uhh....Nevermind.... :lol:

Eggfights and brawls in the Ukrainian parliament...we're doing it wrong. I'd love to see John McCain *literally* with egg on his face. :lol:

Timeline

Eggfights and brawls in the Ukrainian parliament...we're doing it wrong. I'd love to see John McCain *literally* with egg on his face. :lol:

I completely forgot about the egg/smoke bomb incident.

I think if politics had more pie/egg flinging I may pay attention to it more often. I mean if they're going to screw us with our own money, we ought to get something out of the deal.

I completely forgot about the egg/smoke bomb incident.

I think if politics had more pie/egg flinging I may pay attention to it more often. I mean if they're going to screw us with our own money, we ought to get something out of the deal.

Only if I could participate personally. I wonder if the guy in that Ukrainian clip was acting on his own, or if he was the parlaiment designated egg chucker.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

There was a time when our elected leaders actually argued over things in the interest of representing their constituents. I know that time is long passed, but it would be cool to see them yelling back and forth during "debates." To see them actually passionate about their values and representing their people as opposed to shadily and silenty signing their lives away in accordance with their party and/or contributor's wishes.

Egg flinging would be cool too. I just watched Idiocracy again last night. I'm convinced that's how we're going to end up if we don't change things. Then again, having President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho would be kind of cool. Congress gets out of line, he pulls out a SAW and tears the place up. "We gonna fix this sh!t."

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.