ann and aties

Applying for K-1 Question - Proof of Visits

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Hello - I posted a similar question before but got no responses, I thought I would try again. I really appreciate the help reading through this website has given me thus far.

I am worried that my proof of having visited my fiance three times is weak and I would appreciate your opinions on my case. I did save airline tickets, etc and Cuba does not stamp U.S. passports coming or going. I do have the licenses issued by United States OFAC (Office of Foreign Asset Control who govern trips to Cuba from the U.S.) for my three trips. (but as one person pointed out this does not prove I actually went.) I have stamps in and out of Mexico, not Cuba, that coincide with those dates. I have emails confirming flights for SOME of the flights. I have ONE boarding pass stub for a flight Havana to Cancun, that also coincides with one of the Mexican passport stamps and the ending license date.

One more important piece - when you register at a casa particular in Cuba, which is like a bed and breakfast, you register with your passport number in a handwritten book - my fiance is getting a copy of this for me and I will have it translated.

So, please offer me your opinions on if the above will be good enough to prove my presence there. Thanks for your help.

Timeline

I have pictures of me at a Cuban landmark, but not both of us. I do have pictures of us together at his family's house and at a park. But the pictures at a monument is just of me. Also, I have pictures of him and his daughter together, and then me and his daughter, but not the three of us. You see my worry?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Did you try to contact the airline and get a record that you did fly with them on the dates? Airlines should be able to provide proof of your flight. You said you have some but if you are able to get a flight record showing in and out that would help.

For the petition you just have to show you have meet once. If you are taking another trip before the interview take pictures at landmarks.

Good luck!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

All of the evidences you stated, plus the one boarding pass Havana-Cancun at least proves that you have been there once, which is the minimum requirement. Add pictures of you and your fiancee, and it should be enough at least for the I-129F requirement part.

Then it is suggested to also add evidences of bonafide relationship (not asked at the petition stage, but important for the consulate later on)such as letters, emails, phone listings, gifts receipts... To my opinion it does not hurt to put a bit too much.

Good luck.

Hello - I posted a similar question before but got no responses, I thought I would try again. I really appreciate the help reading through this website has given me thus far.

I am worried that my proof of having visited my fiance three times is weak and I would appreciate your opinions on my case. I did save airline tickets, etc and Cuba does not stamp U.S. passports coming or going. I do have the licenses issued by United States OFAC (Office of Foreign Asset Control who govern trips to Cuba from the U.S.) for my three trips. (but as one person pointed out this does not prove I actually went.) I have stamps in and out of Mexico, not Cuba, that coincide with those dates. I have emails confirming flights for SOME of the flights. I have ONE boarding pass stub for a flight Havana to Cancun, that also coincides with one of the Mexican passport stamps and the ending license date.

One more important piece - when you register at a casa particular in Cuba, which is like a bed and breakfast, you register with your passport number in a handwritten book - my fiance is getting a copy of this for me and I will have it translated.

So, please offer me your opinions on if the above will be good enough to prove my presence there. Thanks for your help.

Since you do not have passport stamps, you will have to come up with something else.

The copy of the handwritten book from Cuba will not be sufficient. I have several copies right now showing I was in Cuba 10 times last year - "see what I did here?" Emails of the flights, also fall under this (easily faked or did you really go?)

Pictures, are also very shaky evidence - did you take them 3 years ago or 2 years? makes a difference.

You have to prove you were on the ground in Cuba, during the 2 years prior to sending in the I-129F. Credit card receipts in Cuba during that time frame would back up your boarding pass and the OFAC info - do you have any of those?

Now - you could go with what you have - if that isn't sufficient - read through this - you can get your DHS report that shows your travels.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline

I have no credit card receipts. U.S. credit cards are not accepted in Cuba. The article about DHS was interesting, thank you. I don't think it will work for me in this case, as it took a year for him to get his FOIA request granted. But it certainly is something to think about.

Thanks so much for all your help so far.

• 5 months later...
Filed: Country: Cuba
Timeline

I have no credit card receipts. U.S. credit cards are not accepted in Cuba. The article about DHS was interesting, thank you. I don't think it will work for me in this case, as it took a year for him to get his FOIA request granted. But it certainly is something to think about.

Thanks so much for all your help so far.

This reply is coming late, but I think you have enough evidence. Don't sweat it! I had just passport stamps of 3rd countries (no OFAC license) and kind of wrote in a caption for which trips they were from. We had several fotos, but not really of specific places. I provided a sample of emails between the two of us, email receipts of plain tickets from BAhamas to Havana, email receipts of phone cards bought (I selected cards with names like "Cuba Cell" or something, and dates of calls around his birthday or holidays), a copy of a letter he sent to me, etc. For fotos, in a Cuban's case, it's pretty safe to assume that they were taken in Cuba and not elsewhere as most Cubans can't leave. Don't worry, the K1 petition part of the process goes quick and easy as long as you have all the documentation (forms, etc.) requested. In other countries, there is more scrutiny at this stage, but with Cuba, I suspect that it goes through very easily. You can see on the compared timelines that nearly all Cuban K1's are approved faster than any other country. Just make sure that when it comes time for the interview, make you sure you go too!!!!

Timeline

Hi Bridget y Rodolfo, thanks for your answer to my question. we submitted our paperwork in August and are still waiting to hear for our first approval - the interviews are delayed about six to seven months after the first approval - we are practicing patience - I feel positive that we will be approved, it is just very frustrating waiting to be sure I did the paperwork right and when will his interview be! Plus I am worried about sending the paperwork for the interview through the mail, letters have been lost in transit. (He is in Santiago)

Thanks for your message, it adds to my knowing we will get approved eventually!

Little question: Where did you leave your cell phone when you get to the public interest section? Is there someplace to store them?

Filed: Country: Cuba
Timeline

Hi Bridget y Rodolfo, thanks for your answer to my question. we submitted our paperwork in August and are still waiting to hear for our first approval - the interviews are delayed about six to seven months after the first approval - we are practicing patience - I feel positive that we will be approved, it is just very frustrating waiting to be sure I did the paperwork right and when will his interview be! Plus I am worried about sending the paperwork for the interview through the mail, letters have been lost in transit. (He is in Santiago)

Thanks for your message, it adds to my knowing we will get approved eventually!

Little question: Where did you leave your cell phone when you get to the public interest section? Is there someplace to store them?

Hi! Good luck with your application! Don't be surprised (like me!) if it takes less than the expected time. Like I said, Cuban cases tend to go quicker than average. We submitted something like June 1st and had interview by Nov. 9th, so 5 months. Yet the official wait times were 7 months for just 129F approval. (check out my timeline, and those of other Cuban K1s)

Hmm, regarding cell phone, I don't use one in Cuba so it wasn't an issue. But my husband is telling me that they will store it for you and give you a ticket for it to retrieve when you exit. You pass through a little security office when you're entering, which is where they'll hold it. They don't like folders, either?? I remember people having to ditch things like that. My husband recommends keeping it minimal, but you're going to be there a *long* time (K1 cases are last to be seen, and it's nerve-wracking), and it's so cold, so I recommend bringing a book or something, a sweater, and a snack.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Timeline

Hi Bridget,

thanks for your answer. It looks like it has slowed way down even for Cuba though - we filed in August and have not heard anything yet. And a friend who filed in May or June got an interview date for next February! So I don't think he will be here anytime soon. Thanks for your offer, I am sure when we get the our approval I may have other questions. The waiting is driving me nuts. I'm sure the paperwork is correct, but it drives me crazy not knowing for sure. And it's so hard to stay in touch.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.