9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I would greatly appreciate some help understanding Advanced Parole...I'm a little dense on this subject ;)

I have read the forms and some posts that look like advanced parole is only for emergencys but others look like you can use it for vacation? My cousin is looking into doing the K-1 visa so her dad can meet her fiance first, but they want the ceremony to be abroad. If they marry legally in the US, will they be able to file for AP so that they don't have to wait two years to do a non-legal ceremony with her fiances family?

Also, is AP only for a one time entry, or can you use it multiple times till it expires?

Thanks Again :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I would greatly appreciate some help understanding Advanced Parole...I'm a little dense on this subject ;)

I have read the forms and some posts that look like advanced parole is only for emergencys but others look like you can use it for vacation? My cousin is looking into doing the K-1 visa so her dad can meet her fiance first, but they want the ceremony to be abroad. If they marry legally in the US, will they be able to file for AP so that they don't have to wait two years to do a non-legal ceremony with her fiances family?

Also, is AP only for a one time entry, or can you use it multiple times till it expires?

Thanks Again :)

Advance Parole isn't just for emergencies, it's for any kind of travel - even pleasure.

If your cousin is getting a K-1 Fiance visa, the legal marriage ceremony *must* be in the US. You can always do a ceremony or wedding party after as well, but you must receive your marriage certificate in the US.

Once your cousin is married, he/she can file for Advance Parole. It's recommended to do that with the Adjustment of Status package so it isn't an extra fee. He/she will get the AP in about 60-90 days from filing. But once your cousin receives his/her green card, he/she won't need the AP to travel - the passport and green card will be sufficient.

Edited by Rito

Timeline

Thank You...Good to know (for me as well as her actually) :) I read that Advance Parole is good for a year, does that mean you have up to a year to use it for one trip, or can you use it multiple times until it expires?

My cousin is looking into doing the K-1 visa so her dad can meet her fiance first

You know - your not suppose to use the K-1 to "check out" the relationship first, your intentions to marry are made prior to the visa being granted.

What happens if her dad doesn't agree with the fiance? It would be probably cheaper to just fly there first and "check" out the guy...

just saying...

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You know - your not suppose to use the K-1 to "check out" the relationship first, your intentions to marry are made prior to the visa being granted.

What happens if her dad doesn't agree with the fiance? It would be probably cheaper to just fly there first and "check" out the guy...

just saying...

But then he'd have to take a trip to Jamaica! A fate worse than death! :whistle:

Timeline

I agree with you, and trust me the decision to marry is not taken lightly. My cousin is not "checking" the marriage out. It's a matter of respect. Her father would be incredibly hurt if he never met the man his "little girl" was marrying first. They know they want to be married and that it is a commitment for life. She's just trying to do it in a way that honors her father as well. She tried to get her father to travel to Jamaica so she could have a LEGAL ceremony over there. But, he is definitely an All American Cowboy who has his feet planted in the ground. He is not a man that will travel....so, can you blame a girl for wanting the two most important men in her life to meet first? And what a better way then a fiance visa? They can meet first, and then her Dad can be present at the wedding. Like, I said (even without her fathers approval) they will marry, it's just a matter of respect.

The your cousin should be aware that the SO can't get an advance Parole until after they have married. So, the only way the father will be able to met the SO pre-mariage is to go to Jamaica or Skye via internet.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.