43 posts in this topic

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It sounds like you're doing everything you need to do. What a pain in the #######. I hope it's just a typo on someone's part. Good thing you have the credit alert so that you can address it right away.

I use two credit alert systems - TrueCredit and Citi Identity Monitor (a freebie included

with my Citi Amex).

Interestingly enough, I only received one alert (from TrueCredit). Apparently, Citi

didn't think a new employment record was important enough to warrant an alert.

Just something to consider.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

There's info from SSA website on identity theft - worst case scenario you could get a new SSN:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10064.html

They also recommend you contact IRS - I guess so they don't tax you on the income that's not really yours.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Wow.. change a SSN#? that is huge! allof my academic records are tied to that info... Mark.. best wishes it doesnt come to that...

Edited by ScottThuy

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Seriously.

Got a credit alert this morning about a change to my credit report. There was

a new "employment" record for "Homes for America" - a company I've never heard of.

Sounds like a construction company though, hence the "illegal alien" inference.

I'm going to place a fraud alert on my account, file a police report to

document the ID theft and file a fraud complaint with the FTC.

Any other suggestions?

Mark, surely you got some real goofy responses here, even from moderators, that are not helpful at all during a serious, bummer, drag of a situation for you.

I don't know if it is too late, but inquire about getting a 'pre-paid legal' (symbol PPD) plan that covers Identity Theft Services.

My plan costs me just $9.995/mo., and claims it will restore my Identity back to normal in case of Identity theft.

With the recent news out that modern day copying machines have a hard drive that stores every image, I shudder to think of all of us who have went to a commercial copy center to copy our immigration packet papers for years.

It's ok to use reams of paper. It's NOT ok to get reamed by the ID thieves.

Good luck, and we hope no major crime has been committed against you.

:star:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Dude, if you are serious, i'd immediately place locks (freeze) on all of your credit reports. That way they will need a code to access them.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Dude, if you are serious, i'd immediately place locks (freeze) on all of your credit reports. That way they will need a code to access them.

Yeah, I'm serious. Transunion offices are closed right now, but I'm going to do that first thing tomorrow morning.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I had the Identity Theft Shield through Pre-Paid Legal. It was $9.95/month if I had it along with a Pre-Paid Legal subrscription, which was around $25.95/month. That gives you access to an attorney if you ever needed one. ID theft services alone were $12.95/month. I got rid of both when I was making personal budget cuts and am just risking it now.

They subcontract the identity restoration out to Kroll, or at least did within the last few years. I had someone steal a credit card number of mine and make some unauthorized purchases, called them and they put an alert out and maintained regular monitoring and called me every month or so to give me updates.

I think you can also take out ID Theft Sheild through Pre-Paid Legal even after your ID was stolen. It's sold through network marketing, so don't be shocked if the person who sells it to you presents you with a "home business opportunity".

Edited by DukeOfYork

RoC Timeline

08/20/2012: Sent I-751 to California Service Center

Our Immigration Checklist

I had the Identity Theft Shield through Pre-Paid Legal. It was $9.95/month if I had it along with a Pre-Paid Legal subrscription, which was around $25.95/month. That gives you access to an attorney if you ever needed one. ID theft services alone were $12.95/month. I got rid of both when I was making personal budget cuts and am just risking it now.

They subcontract the identity restoration out to Kroll, or at least did within the last few years. I had someone steal a credit card number of mine and make some unauthorized purchases, called them and they put an alert out and maintained regular monitoring and called me every month or so to give me updates.

I think you can also take out ID Theft Sheild through Pre-Paid Legal even after your ID was stolen. It's sold through network marketing, so don't be shocked if the person who sells it to you presents you with a "home business opportunity".

Duke, your info is absolutely correct. That's great you think that Mark could get this service even post violation of his identity.

Yes, it is network marketing based, but you don't have to put up with someone's sales spiel if you don't want to. I have used my pre-paid legal plan multiple times to ask technical immigration questions over the phone, and also for previous divorce, so I have found good value from these services. In a down economy, many people tend to stop their plan, but it gives me such peace of mind to have access to a lawyer in such a litigious world.

And yes, after seeing THIS CBS REPORT , I signed up for the Identity Theft Shield recently. Shocking to think that so much of our info is out there floating around in warehouses filled with used copying machines.

Good luck, Mark on locking down your credit cards and things.

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif