journey1

Affidavit from witness of in person meeting needs notarization?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

This Q is for I-129F filing docs. We didn't take pics together when we met and getting an affidavit from family member of fiance as proof of meeting. Would such an affdavit need to be notarized from some local public notary oversaes or just a signed, dated written letter from the relative suffice?

Thanks in advance for any fist hand info or suggestion on this.

Edited by journey1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

A non-notarized letter would suffice.

But no photographs? Do you have the boarding passes from the visit? Hotel receipts? Anything?

Is it possible you'll meet again before the Interview? So she could at least bring in evidence of meeting then?

Keep in mind that the goal of the initial petition sent to the USCIS is to prove that the petitioner and beneficiary have met in person at least once in the previous two years. Photos go a long way in that regard as supporting evidence.

I'm not sure if sending no photographs -- not even one or two -- would result in an RFE from the USICS. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Has anyone been approved without submitting any photographs at all? That's an interesting question.

17-Jan-10 - Filed K-1

26-Apr-10 - Approved

06-May-10 - Entered POE

24-May-10 - Married

22-Jul-10 - Filed AOS

24-Sep-10 - Biometrics Appointment

18-Nov-10 - Approved

29-Nov-10 - Received Green Card

Filed: Timeline

A non-notarized letter would suffice.

But no photographs? Do you have the boarding passes from the visit? Hotel receipts? Anything?

Is it possible you'll meet again before the Interview? So she could at least bring in evidence of meeting then?

Keep in mind that the goal of the initial petition sent to the USCIS is to prove that the petitioner and beneficiary have met in person at least once in the previous two years. Photos go a long way in that regard as supporting evidence.

I'm not sure if sending no photographs -- not even one or two -- would result in an RFE from the USICS. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Has anyone been approved without submitting any photographs at all? That's an interesting question.

I was actually really worried about the same thing, as I didn't submit any photos. I had tons of other evidence though, at least ten to twelve plane / train tickets from both of us, the stickers they put on your bags when they go with you on the flight, brochures / tourist items from New York, etc.

Despite not sending in any photos (my fiance has the printed photos, I have crappy ones from my blackberry) our I-129F petition was approved, and we didn't receive any RFE's. To be safe, though, I'll probably bring them with me to the interview.

This Q is for I-129F filing docs. We didn't take pics together when we met and getting an affidavit from family member of fiance as proof of meeting. Would such an affdavit need to be notarized from some local public notary oversaes or just a signed, dated written letter from the relative suffice?

That would not be acceptable as "proof of meeting". You would need to show passport stamps, airline boarding/tickets/hotel receipts, etc... to prove that you were actually there, in person, in the other country (or if the beneficiary came to the US), within the 2yr requirement, prior to sending in the petition.

If you attempt to get this evidence after the petition is sent, say by visiting, your petition would be denied, and you would have to start over, again.

A letter, even notarized, would not be sufficient. If they allowed that, anyone could write a letter - regardless if it's true or not.

Photo's showing you together are not required for filing the I-129F. They are usually looked at the interview, as supporting evidence of the relationship. You will not get an RFE for lack of photographs, however, you will get an RFE for not showing proof of meeting within the 2yr of filing the petition.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

when we got married and send the I-130 we let our Godfather and godmother signed a affidavit...

I went to our city hall coz its gonna be cheap if you will go to public legal office then i ask to have a affidavit saying their are the witness then I let our godfather and godmother signed it and return to city hall for the notary...the attorney who made the affidavit signed it on the other day!! it cost me 200 one affidavit coz one affidavit coz 100 each..

then after that i send it to my husband then my husband send to the USCIS

then we got approved!!!

IR1 IR2

04/10/2008 WEDDING DAY!!!!!!!!!''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''05/19/2014 Form I-130 send to USCIS Chicago Lockbox
04/27/2009 Send the I-130''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''05/24/2014 USCIS checks cashed
11/24/2009 I-130 Approved''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''05/2610/2014 USCIS acceptance confirmation via email and text
03/27/2010 AOS sent case forwarded at Nebraska Service Center
04/07/2010 NVC request to send Applicants documents'''''''''''''''''''''''''''05/28/2014 NOA1 Hardcopy
04/09/2010 send the leter requesting to change CR1 to IR1'''''''''''''''''''''''05/29/2014 Alien Registration Number changed

04/12/2010 send email to NVC requesting to change CR1 to IR1'''''''06/20/2014 I-130 Approved (NOA2)

04/15/2010 nvc received 1-864''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' 06/30/2014 I-130 forward to NVC
04/17/2010 received RFE from NVC''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''07/11/2014 NVC received our case

04/21/2010 CR1 to IR1 approved''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''07/18/2014 case # and Innvoice # received

04/30/2010 Send DS230 through EMS express Mail w/o PCC''''''''''08/06/2014 DS-261

05/04/2010 Request for PCC in Japan Embassy'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''08/08/2014 AOS Invoice received thru email
05/06/2010 DS-230 Delivered, May 06, 2010, 11:55 am''''''''''''''''''''''''''''08/08/2014 sent AOS packet

05/12/2010 DS-230 recceived by NVC'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''08/11/2014 AOS shows "PAID" and packet delivered
05/26/2010 RFE checklist received'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''08/13/2014 AOS scanned
05/31/2010 RFE checklist response send thru fedex''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''08/26/2014 IV invoice received thru mail
06/01/2010 RFE for AOS send'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''08/27/2014 IV shows "PAID", DS-260 filed and IV packet send
06/02/2010 NVC received RFE on DS230 signed by J.Desmond 10:25am'''''''''08/29/2014 IV package scanned
06/10/2010 Japan police clearance ready for pick up (36 days)'''''''''''''''''''10/14/2014 Case Complete
06/24/2010 SIGN IN FAILED ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''10/21/2014 CEAC "IN TRANSIT"
06/24/2010 CASE COMPLETE as of june 23, 2010"'"""""""""'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''10/22/2014 CEAC "READY"
06/29/2010 Interview date received.............................................................................10/27/2014 Medical
07/21-22/2010 Medical......................................................................................................11/07/2014 Interview
07/22/2010 NVC forwarded our case to USEM.........................................................11/18/2014 visa received
08/05/2010 Interview 6:30 AM BLUE SLIP
11/08/2010 submit paystub
11/16/2010 submit passport
11/25/2010 VISA RECEIVED
01/16/2011 POE detroit

N-400 Naturalization

11/22/13 Form N-400 sent

11/27/13 USCIS Case Accepted

03/06/14 Interview

03/21/14 Oath Taking

Filed: Country:
Timeline

when we got married and send the I-130 we let our Godfather and godmother signed a affidavit...

I went to our city hall coz its gonna be cheap if you will go to public legal office then i ask to have a affidavit saying their are the witness then I let our godfather and godmother signed it and return to city hall for the notary...the attorney who made the affidavit signed it on the other day!! it cost me 200 one affidavit coz one affidavit coz 100 each..

then after that i send it to my husband then my husband send to the USCIS

then we got approved!!!

This answer has nothing to do with the OP's question.

For CR-1 you don't need to prove that you met in person in the last 2 years, only that you're married. Even in your case the signed affidavit wasn't needed as the marriage contract proves the relationship.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

That would not be acceptable as "proof of meeting". You would need to show passport stamps, airline boarding/tickets/hotel receipts, etc... to prove that you were actually there, in person, in the other country (or if the beneficiary came to the US), within the 2yr requirement, prior to sending in the petition.

If you attempt to get this evidence after the petition is sent, say by visiting, your petition would be denied, and you would have to start over, again.

A letter, even notarized, would not be sufficient. If they allowed that, anyone could write a letter - regardless if it's true or not.

Photo's showing you together are not required for filing the I-129F. They are usually looked at the interview, as supporting evidence of the relationship. You will not get an RFE for lack of photographs, however, you will get an RFE for not showing proof of meeting within the 2yr of filing the petition.

All correct and to the point. Primary evidence of meeting is required. This could be passport stamps, boarding passes or receipts in country. If you have at least one form of primary evidence of being in the same country within the past two years, that's sufficient evidence of meeting. An affidavit, signed or not is neither primary or secondary evidence of meeting.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I do have passport stamps/boarding passes of my visit, affid would be to supplement that.

Then I advise you not to include it. It is more likely to raise a red flag than be of any help.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.