Allamericankiwi

Ban head coverings

65 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I don't think any country should regulate dress.......except I do think that in public places a person's face should be visible from a security standpoint.

Of course there is always the vitamin D argument.

Edited by Sousuke

the women that make the choice to wear the complete veil know what they are giving up here on earth but for them it is not as important as what they feel they will receive in the after life.....im not going tell them they are wrong as its a personal choice.....they know they can not drive, get a passport with out a lot of problems or travel with out a lot of problems or work.....thats a devotion that i only wish i had......they are not trying to change you or anyone they are only following what they believe to be the correct way for them on the flip side of that i would never tell a prostitute she is wrong no matter how i feel about it.....it is their personal choice as to how they live their life again this is what is so great about our country

sara

Great but then don't come sue when I don't employ such a person.

What people who wear these head-to-toe Burkha are doing is not freedom of choice, it's them coming here with no intention of participating with the constituents of a country. I went to school with two girls like that and they did not speak a word to anyone else. I certainly don't have a problem with moderates but do have a problem with people that clearly have no intention whatsoever of integrating with a country they choose to migrate to. Evidently Europe has had enough too. Everything must have its reasonable limitations, otherwise people would be able to buy ballistic missiles and claim it's covered by the 2nd amendment.

Western countries are melting pots, not places for people to establish their own silos and shun the residents. Europe is clearly making a stance and showing those types where the door is.

Edited by Booyah!

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I don't think any country should regulate dress.......except I do think that in public places a person's face should be visible from a security standpoint.

It's a very dodgy thing road to go down.

What happens if you go out wearing banned clothing? Do you get a fine? Jail time?

Sure, we need to encourage people to participate in an open society, but you can't force people to comply if they don't want to.

It's a very dodgy thing road to go down.

What happens if you go out wearing banned clothing? Do you get a fine? Jail time?

Sure, we need to encourage people to participate in an open society, but you can't force people to comply if they don't want to.

You know a country is going downhill when a Muslim student can sue a private Catholic school and win, for refusing to follow their dress code; as was the case in the UK.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Timeline

You know a country is going downhill when a Muslim student can sue a private Catholic school and win, for refusing to follow their dress code; as was the case in the UK.

Who cares. I don't.

In any case, so what? I didn't hear the case, neither did you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Please remember that Visa Journey is a multi-cultural community. It is inappropriate to use obscenities or rude language that insult another culture to express your opinion. It is fine to have differences of opinion but please find more considerate/courteous ways to express your disagreements.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Timeline
Minnesota a couple of years ago (08 I think) where factory workers were being fired for refusal to wear the uniforms and claimed discrimination on religious grounds...

Yeah, there was a case brought against Whirlpool in TN many years ago where Muslims claimed discrimination for not being afforded time away from the production line to observe their prayer time. They lost the case, though.

Yeah, there was a case brought against Whirlpool in TN many years ago where Muslims claimed discrimination for not being afforded time away from the production line to observe their prayer time. They lost the case, though.

in cases where safety and disruption of an entire production line are at stake, then yes, it's not possible to make accommodations. it was unfortunate though, in the mn case, that there were no other possible placements within the company available for fatuma hassan and the other women who were fired because they did not want to wear pants, that fit their qualifications. in the case of the girl who wore a simple headscarf and was employed at a hollister clothing store for 6 months, only to hear out of the blue that she suddenly was not allowed to wear it anymore-well that's simply wrong. and illegal. the same goes for the muslim girl who was discriminated against by abercrombie employers, when they said her headscarf didn't fit their image. that's also illegal.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Of course there is always the vitamin D argument.

what vitamin d argument? should any government have a say in whether or not someone deliberately avoids their recommended dietary allowances of any nutrient?

and anyways, ethnicity and climate is a far bigger factor in vitamin d deficiencies among women who cover up their faces than the fact that their faces are covered up. people originally from warm, sunny places are not able to as efficiently utilize the scanter sunlight of northern europe. my daughter's pediatrician recommends that i give her vitamin d supplements, and she doesn't go around with her face covered. in recent years there have even been cases of rickets seen in the children of oregon coast dairy farmers, and they're not walking around with their faces covered either. just living in a very gray and rainy place, and drinking milk from their family's farm before it's been vitamin d fortified.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Who cares. I don't.

In any case, so what? I didn't hear the case, neither did you.

I think its a mistake if you don't care about this.... a very big mistake...

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

what vitamin d argument? should any government have a say in whether or not someone deliberately avoids their recommended dietary allowances of any nutrient?

and anyways, ethnicity and climate is a far bigger factor in vitamin d deficiencies among women who cover up their faces than the fact that their faces are covered up. people originally from warm, sunny places are not able to as efficiently utilize the scanter sunlight of northern europe. my daughter's pediatrician recommends that i give her vitamin d supplements, and she doesn't go around with her face covered. in recent years there have even been cases of rickets seen in the children of oregon coast dairy farmers, and they're not walking around with their faces covered either. just living in a very gray and rainy place, and drinking milk from their family's farm before it's been vitamin d fortified.

The vitamin D thing was just a joke really.

Why?

Because it means a loss of control over your personal business and home. If a private school can be sued and loose on a matter of dress, who's to say that will be next, how you need to dress on the streets? Or what color of shirt you can wear or how you need to shave or cut your hair... the list is endless....

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

Timeline

Because it means a loss of control over your personal business and home. If a private school can be sued and loose on a matter of dress, who's to say that will be next, how you need to dress on the streets? Or what color of shirt you can wear or how you need to shave or cut your hair... the list is endless....

OK, but you're already advocating telling people how to dress in public.

I don't believe you can change people's attitudes by banning articles of clothing (which is in itself ridiculous) and hitting people over the head with a stick. That usually tends to piss people off and encourage less willingness to cooperate, not more.

Filed: Timeline
The same goes for the muslim girl who was discriminated against by abercrombie employers, when they said her headscarf didn't fit their image. that's also illegal.

Not necessarily as long as the terms of employment are made clear on the front end. I worked for a company that did not allow or tolerate any facial hair for customer facing personnel - or ear rings for male employees. There was a strict dress and appearance code that every applicant was made aware of and had to agree to in order to be considered for employment. Nothing illegal about it at all. Now, you can't hire people and tell them six months later that they'll have to shave. That's where you run into problems.