Obama 2012

Arizonans and The Nation Torn On Immigration Bill

767 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Because you wouldn't be subject to discrimination...

Seriously, how hard is it to put yourself in another person's shoes?

Since I've not broken any laws and am playing by the many rules set up by the U.S. government simply to be with my husband (whom I have not seen in nearly nine months,) it is hard for me to put myself in some illegal alien's shoes.

Furthermore, as a very brown skinned Indian who could easily pass for a Mexican and has been mistaken for one on several occasions in upstate NY, I'd fully expect to be "discriminated" were we ever to live in Arizona. In such a case, I'd produce a copy of my green card if asked to do so by a law enforcement officer and be on my merry way.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

:rofl: Yes, it's safe for you to assume any number or ridiculous propositions, you do it all the time so why would making assumptions about the type of job I do, and whether or not my job would be in jeopardy by 'these people' be any different?

It's safe to assume you are full of it; hence not having one single suggestion of your own. Sorry but imaginary gestapo scenarios or bizarre traffic oriented rebuttals do not count. While you want to do nothing, evidently the people of Arizona disagree.

The comment about your job geniuses was to suggest that much like Steven whose job is not in jeopardy by illegals, you have no issue with illegals as it does not directly affect you. I highly doubt you are in any blue-collar field. Whereas, had the market been flooded with illegals that possessed your qualification, you'd be singing a different tune.

Edited by Ali G.

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Since I've not broken any laws and am playing by the many rules set up by the U.S. government simply to be with my husband (whom I have not seen in nearly nine months,) it is hard for me to put myself in some illegal alien's shoes.

Furthermore, as a very brown skinned Indian who could easily pass for a Mexican and has been mistaken for one on several occasions in upstate NY, I'd fully expect to be "discriminated" were we ever to live in Arizona. In such a case, I'd produce a copy of my green card if asked to do so by a law enforcement officer and be on my merry way.

Again the OP article refers to USCs who are carrying multiple forms of ID out of the fear of being mistaken for illegal immigrants.

Timeline

The question is why they should have to.

Uh, how about because the law (at least in Arizona) says so?

Because the influx of illegal immigrants has reached pandemic proportions that require drastic, maybe even draconian measures need to be implemented?

Because Arizona is finally fed up and is taking matters into their own hands?

Edited by sachinky

event.png

You think that justifies making rules that discriminate along ethnic/racial lines?

And thats where your logic took a ####### on you. :yes: It discriminates against illegals regardless of what race they are

Timeline

Again the OP article refers to USCs who are carrying multiple forms of ID out of the fear of being mistaken for illegal immigrants.

Oh yes, the terrible fear!!

If they are USCs, then there's nothing to "fear." Show your ID/photocopy of US passport and continue on your way.

Edited by sachinky

event.png

And trust me, it is extremely humiliating to be treated like an illegal alien especially when you have followed every freakin' rule set by the USCIS. I speak from personal experience. I used to think exactly like you did till I was actually put in that situation.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

again you are reaching for a reason to b!tch. EVERYONE must show proof of status in arizona.

Thats a staw mans argument. Do you really think that a Canadian immigrant would be stopped on the street and asked to see their identification? This law is a thinly veiled law directed at one group of people and will have an impact on both the non-citizens it is directed at as well as citizens.

So basically because the reporter has decided to use some idiots hysteria to push their article, it means the new laws are gestapo-esque in nature.

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama

Timeline

And thats where your logic took a ####### on you. :yes: It discriminates against illegals regardless of what race they are

On paper, yes. In practice, hard to say (because it relies on the discretion of individual officers).

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

So are we all in agreement that even if you are illegal as long as you don't commit something like a misdemeanor or felony that is grounds for removal the arizona police can not touch you even if you wear a sombrero and have a shirt that says "i'm illegal".

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh yes, the terrible fear!!

If they are USCs, then there's nothing to "fear." Show your ID/photocopy of US passport and continue on your way.

The fact remains, the law does not dictate this. You can argue til your blue in the face that this is easy to do, but that doesn't change the fact of the matter, citizens are not required to carry ID.

Timeline

So basically because the reporter has decided to use some idiots hysteria to push their article, it means the new laws are gestapo-esque in nature.

I believe all I have said is that the law is difficult to implement in a manner that isn't or at least doesn't appear to be racially discriminatory.