Minted7

Co-Sponsor question =/

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

as others said, you're fine to file with using your parents as a joint sponser, just be advised that if you're still in Canada with your husband at the time of the interview, you most likely will be denied and have to prove that you intend to go to the USA.

This is a CR1 case. "Parents" plural can only be "household members" using the I-864a if they live in the same household as the petitioner. Otherwise ONE "parent" singular may act as a joint sponsor.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is a CR1 case. "Parents" plural can only be "household members" using the I-864a if they live in the same household as the petitioner. Otherwise ONE "parent" singular may act as a joint sponsor.

true, that is if there is two parents filing on the same tax return. if its just one parent, and her in the same household but not as a dependent, then only the other form is ok. maybe that is obvious, but since you're quick to point that out, i shall too. since i basically did what she did. My other post was to post how important the domicile issue is to Montreal at this time.

Timeline

true, that is if there is two parents filing on the same tax return. if its just one parent, and her in the same household but not as a dependent, then only the other form is ok. maybe that is obvious, but since you're quick to point that out, i shall too. since i basically did what she did. My other post was to post how important the domicile issue is to Montreal at this time.

It's true whether two parents are on the same tax return or not. Unless the petitioner and both parents are part of the same household, only one parent is the joint sponsor. You pick the one who has the individual income that qualifies. The domicile issue doesn't exist, as the OP already indicated they are in the USA seeking employment. (in another thread)

You have some things confused. I suggest you stop writing and pay attention.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry for the confusion everyone :blush:

But yeah my status is just visitor in Canada

It's hard finding a job right now, I would visit him for a couple months if I can then come back to find a job, maybe the economy will be better then, it's really hard right now =/

2009 Sept 26: We were married in Turlock, California =D

USCIS

2010 Apr 29: Filed I-130

2010 May 12: I-130 recieved

2010 May 13: Check cashed

2010 May 12: NOA1

2010 Jun 8: Touched

2010 Jun 9: Touched ...again???

2010 Oct 26: Touched !! (after calling USCIS, and congressman 3 days earlier)

2010 Nov 1: RFE (G-325A & Photos)

2010 Nov 9: Touched

2010 Nov 10: Touched

2010 Nov 16: Touched

2010 Nov 17: Touched ... again.

2010 NOV 22: NOA2 =)

NVC

11/xx/10: NVC Assigns a Case#

11/30/10: Called NVC provided emails/ got case# & IIN #

11/30/10: hubby emailed DS3032

11/30/10: paid AOS fee

12/01/10: AOS status paid

12/06/10: hubby emailed DS3032 again..got a confirmation same day!

12/06/10: IV bill invoiced

12/07/10: DS-3032 (Choice of agent) accepted

12/10/10: mailed AOS packet!

12/15/10: pay IV bill

01/10/11: hubby mailed IV packet

02/01/11: checklist from NVC hubby has to fill out EP for montreal!

02/06/11: hubby completed and submitted EP application.

03/10/11: SIF/ case complete=)

04/12/11: Medical completed!

04/20/11: Picked up medical...passed =)

05/03/11: Interview Scheduled @ 8AM!!! =)

05/03/11: APPROVED YAY! =)

05/09/11: Visa in hand! =)

07/02/11: POE =)=)

event.png

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I was thinking too...Can husband and wife both be at the interview in Monteral? or only the immigrant alone?

2009 Sept 26: We were married in Turlock, California =D

USCIS

2010 Apr 29: Filed I-130

2010 May 12: I-130 recieved

2010 May 13: Check cashed

2010 May 12: NOA1

2010 Jun 8: Touched

2010 Jun 9: Touched ...again???

2010 Oct 26: Touched !! (after calling USCIS, and congressman 3 days earlier)

2010 Nov 1: RFE (G-325A & Photos)

2010 Nov 9: Touched

2010 Nov 10: Touched

2010 Nov 16: Touched

2010 Nov 17: Touched ... again.

2010 NOV 22: NOA2 =)

NVC

11/xx/10: NVC Assigns a Case#

11/30/10: Called NVC provided emails/ got case# & IIN #

11/30/10: hubby emailed DS3032

11/30/10: paid AOS fee

12/01/10: AOS status paid

12/06/10: hubby emailed DS3032 again..got a confirmation same day!

12/06/10: IV bill invoiced

12/07/10: DS-3032 (Choice of agent) accepted

12/10/10: mailed AOS packet!

12/15/10: pay IV bill

01/10/11: hubby mailed IV packet

02/01/11: checklist from NVC hubby has to fill out EP for montreal!

02/06/11: hubby completed and submitted EP application.

03/10/11: SIF/ case complete=)

04/12/11: Medical completed!

04/20/11: Picked up medical...passed =)

05/03/11: Interview Scheduled @ 8AM!!! =)

05/03/11: APPROVED YAY! =)

05/09/11: Visa in hand! =)

07/02/11: POE =)=)

event.png

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."

Timeline

Husband and wife can be at the interview in Montreal. But like I said, if you're going to stay in Canada for the process, be careful when it comes to the interview. Read the links about the denials in Montrael (though they are asking for more proof when they deny you, its just a heartbreaker) and what they look for domicile. I stayed in Canada for the entire process, but I now look at things and think its gotten tougher at the interview stage, even though we got denied for the domicile issue. But as far as filing and everything, you're ok. I didn't work for years and the joint sponser was ok. Interview stage is a far way out, but that is something to think about in the future and when you get closer to it and if you're still in Canada. Just a heads up. And thank you for clarifying.

Edited by wowswift

Filed: Timeline

Okay guys. We are all freinds here trying to help freinds. No need to bring out our mean side.

My wife was approved for IR1 visa today. I have been living with her in Cambodia for two years. No domicile issue raised......but this may be due to the fact that I have bank statements, tax returns, life insurance, stock certificates and other stuff using my U.S. address.

I don't think one has to living in the United States to be considered domiciled in the U.S., certainly other activities be also used to show evidence of legitimacy.

**** filed K3/CR1 concurrently. My wife and I both work/live overseas. The following timeline continues from the approval of the K3 VISA.

Our journey
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=115855

NVC rec'd 130/ assigned case# 5-15-08
Called to request online payment ID# 5-18-08
Rec'd ds 3032/AOS bill by USPS 5-19-08
Rec'd email Online ID# for payment of AOS and DS3032 5-21-08
Returned ds 3032 by USPS during wife visit to U.S. on K3--5-29-09
Paid AOS online: 7-05-09 ( While in Cambodia )
Rec'd email to pay IV bill 7-7-09
Paid IV bill online 7-08-09
Mailed I-864 2-16-10
I- 864 delivered 2-18-10
Mailed DS 230 2-22-10
Ds 230 delivered 2-24-10
AVR says "NVC is awaiting biographic info from petitioner" 2-24-10
AVR says, "NVC has received the info checklist requested." NVC HAS ENTERED DS-230 INTO COMPUTER 3-01-10
SIF: 3-08-10
AVR Case Complete: 3-09-10
Rec'd interview email/date: 3-15-10
Medical: 4-09-10
INTERVIEW( less than 5 minutes ): 4-26-10 APPROVED
Pickup Visa: 4-30-10
POE: LAX 5/31/10
Overnight REENTRY Permit app: 6/01/10
Rec'd SS: 6-10-10
Rec'd Welcome to USA Letter + Green Card Tracking #: 6-14-10
Rec'd NOA1 letter + receipt # for reentry permit: 6-14-10
Rec'd 10 Yr. GC: 6-21-10
Rec'd Bio appt for reentry permit 7-18-10 but changed to 6-28-10 thru INFOpass: 6-25-10
REentry touches: 9-6-10, 9-29-10, 10-4-10
Rec'd email Reentry mailed 10-07-10
Rec'd reentry permit 10-09-10 ( 4 mths 1 wk )

Naturalized 04/2016

Received US Passport 05/2016

Timeline

I have been living with her in Cambodia for two years. No domicile issue raised

Congrats! I am happy for you. However, the Montreal consulate is very strict about the domicile issue. It is a consulate specific issue actually. Where the Cambodian consulate may not ask you for domicle, Montreal certainly will

OP - Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

Congrats! I am happy for you. However, the Montreal consulate is very strict about the domicile issue. It is a consulate specific issue actually. Where the Cambodian consulate may not ask you for domicle, Montreal certainly will

OP - Good luck.

Or it could be that even Montreal Conoffs won't waste time asking questions they already know the answer to based on the paperwork already before them.

"but this may be due to the fact that I have bank statements, tax returns, life insurance, stock certificates and other stuff using my U.S. address. "

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

Push, the montreal ConOffs require a job, a lease/mortgage etc for the domicile issue to be met. Plenty of Canadians have presented similar information to SPSguy and have been turned away.

Mairsp in my previously quoted link, had "signed lease for a house, a few car insurance quotes, a moving quote, a US based cell phone and I have opened a bank account" - and was still denied for the domicile issue.

Lenie7 (also in the quoted links) had "owned a house in the U.S., have a driver's license in the U.S., have my cars registered there (with U.S. insurance), have several bank accounts there" and was still denied.

Jonesg111 (also quoted) had "sent in bank statements, car insurance, and credit card accounts" and was still denied

Montreal is very strict about domicile. The OP needs to know this when making her arrangements.

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

Push, the montreal ConOffs require a job, a lease/mortgage etc for the domicile issue to be met. Plenty of Canadians have presented similar information to SPSguy and have been turned away.

Mairsp in my previously quoted link, had "signed lease for a house, a few car insurance quotes, a moving quote, a US based cell phone and I have opened a bank account" - and was still denied for the domicile issue.

Lenie7 (also in the quoted links) had "owned a house in the U.S., have a driver's license in the U.S., have my cars registered there (with U.S. insurance), have several bank accounts there" and was still denied.

Jonesg111 (also quoted) had "sent in bank statements, car insurance, and credit card accounts" and was still denied

Montreal is very strict about domicile. The OP needs to know this when making her arrangements.

Good luck

I can see how one might infer that my comments about the Cambodia case indicate the same standards would apply to Montreal. I did not mean to imply that. Just saying the domicile issue wasn't raised because it didn't need to be. There are fairly obvious reasons why things work differently in Montreal in this regard.

The OP states they moved back to California to get an apartment and find a job. Sounds like the domicile issue will be covered well in advance of the interview to me, since they haven't even filed yet.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Okay guys. We are all freinds here trying to help freinds. No need to bring out our mean side.

I agree (a little late, but nonetheless) - there is no need.

Civil conversation/debate welcome, personal attacks/remarks are not (and have been removed from this thread).

Please keep this in mind when posting on VJ.

I agree (a little late, but nonetheless) - there is no need.

Civil conversation/debate welcome, personal attacks/remarks are not (and have been removed from this thread).

Please keep this in mind when posting on VJ.

I've been watching this thread.

Where was the personal attack?

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

It was here, now it's gone - which is a good thing :thumbs:

Oh, right.

Well, I guess that's where perceptions will differ! :thumbs:

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.