Ali G.

US deportation row: woman, son granted permanent residency

7 posts in this topic

US deportation row: Melbourne woman, son granted permanent residency

MEGAN LEVY

April 23, 2010 - 12:28PM

A Melbourne, AUS woman and her 13-year-old son who were set to be deported from the US after the child stole 46 cents from a classmate have now been granted permanent residency in the country.

Tracey Washington and her son, who has not been identified, learned yesterday that immigration authorities had approved their applications for US green cards.

US immigrants' rights advocates took up the Washingtons' case earlier this year, saying it highlighted the human consequences of San Francisco's harsh deportation policy.

Mrs Washington said was elated to learn she was now a legal US resident and could remain in San Francisco with her American husband, Charles Washington.

"At the same time, my heart goes out to the many other families who were harmed by the ... policy and have not been as fortunate to receive a reprieve," Mrs Washington said.

The pair, who moved to the US in April last year, were set to be deported back to Australia after Mrs Washington's son hit another student during an after-school program in January and took 46 cents from him.

Angela Chan of the Asian Law Caucus - which provided immigration legal services to the family - said the punch was a joke, the other boy was unhurt and the 13-year-old apologised.

However, the other boy's parents contacted police, who charged the 13-year-old with assault, extortion and robbery.

Ms Chan said a juvenile court judge normally would reduce the charges for a first-time offender in such an incident and place the youth on probation.

But the case never reached court because juvenile authorities referred the boy to immigration authorities, as required under San Francisco's deportation crackdown.

US Immigration and Customs Enforcement authorities then ordered the deportation of Mrs Washington and her son on March 5, which was later pushed back until May 4.

Also accompanying the pair would have been Mrs Washington's other son, aged five.

Mrs Washington and her children arrived in the US in February 2009 on a 90-day visa-waiver.

The Washingtons, who had met six years earlier, were married in April that year.

However, they missed a 90-day deadline to apply for legal residency, after Mr Washington said a federal immigration office told them there was no filing deadline.

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

silly stuff:

Mrs Washington and her children arrived in the US in February 2009 on a 90-day visa-waiver

However, they missed a 90-day deadline to apply for legal residency,

Wankers from Australia, without a clue.

THEY PUT THE CHILDREN INTO SCHOOL in SanFran.

How stupid. Come On BooYah! is this one of yer countrymen? Time for you to send a postcard, ya?

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I am wondering if it's someone on here.

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yet another example of how way too lax our immigration system is....

She stayed here illegally, and then gets rewarded for it...

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Yet another example of how way too lax our immigration system is....

She stayed here illegally, and then gets rewarded for it...

Well, the article is unclear, at least it seems to me. Perhaps the 90 day visa waiver spoken of is a K-1 visa. I wouldn't really call it a waiver, but the media isn't really accurate about these sorts of things.

If it is a K-1, then it's true that she should be able to file for AOS after the 90 days is up, as long as they married in the 90 days, which it seems they did.

Filed: Other Timeline

That's an older story, and we discussed it here not too long ago.

Aussi woman marries USC, travels back and forth to US many times but never files for AOS. Last time she enters, as before, as VWP participant, already married.

Kid gets in trouble in school, sh*t hits the fan.

Outcome: although we . . . uhh . . . YOU guys tell everybody on this board that entering with VWP or B2, already married, is visa fraud, plain and simple, here's another example of how the written rules and its application differ in real life.

Therefore I say to anybody who wants to enter the US in order to get married and then adjust that it is against the rules, but in real life it will work without a hiccup.

Nuttin' you or I or we or anybody can do about it, but the President.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Timeline
Aussi woman marries USC, travels back and forth to US many times but never files for AOS. Last time she enters, as before, as VWP participant, already married.

If that's the case, the article's got it all wrong as it states that they arrived on a VW in Feb '09 and she married in Apr '09. Hence, she would have entered on VWP as a single person and then married her US spouse. Then, of course, there's no 90 day filing window as the article suggests. And one wonders why America is so unaware of how immigration works. The media can't even keep simple things straight...