melchieor

Why isn't the K1 visa issued the same day @ embassy?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I was just wondering why isn't the K1 visa issued the same day at the Moscow embassy? Isn't everything ready after the interview?

15-Dec-2009 I-129F Sent

17-Dec-2009 NOA-1

18-Mar-2010 NOA-2

23-Mar-2010 NVC Received

26-Mar-2010 NVC Sent to Consulate

29-Mar-2010 The embassy received our case

15-June-2010 Interview

Timeline

I was just wondering why isn't the K1 visa issued the same day at the Moscow embassy? Isn't everything ready after the interview?

Don't ask why. It's the government. Does anything take less than three times what it would take a normal person?

Filed: Timeline

They still have to process the paperwork, print the visa, and affix it to the passport. Once you see what the visa looks like, you'll understand why it takes a little time. If they were dealing with a small number of visas per day then yeah it might only be an hour or so. But they do a lot of volume every day. It's actually pretty impressive that they turn it around as quickly as they do.

Timeline

I see.. heh.. well whats in the processing of the paper work .. just data entry stuff ? The printing shouldn't take too long.. I guess it depends on what kind of printer they have :D

15-Dec-2009 I-129F Sent

17-Dec-2009 NOA-1

18-Mar-2010 NOA-2

23-Mar-2010 NVC Received

15-June-2010 Interview

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Wow Mel,

I was just noticing your timeline ....... It really is taking Moscow 2 1/2 months to schedule an interview after they receive the petition ?????

Damn ! Mine just arrived there today :huh:

I-129F sent 01/27/2010
Rcv'd CSC 01/29/2010
NOA1 notice date 02/01/2010
NOA1 rcv'd 02/08/2010
" Touched " 03/04/2010
email notice APPROVED! 03/04/2010
touched 03/08/2010
hardcopy NOA2 rcv'd 03/10/2010
NVC email pkt enroute 03/29/2010
CIS touched again?! 04/01/2010
NVC RECEIVED ! 04/09/2010
NVC sent to embassy 04/15/2010
Embassy received 04/22/2010
Interview date 06/11/2010
APPROVED !!!! 06/11/2010
POE Chicago 07/22/2010
MARRIED !!!!!!! 07/27/2010
AOS,EAD,AP sent 10/01/2010
Rcv'd Chicago lockbox 10/04/2010
NOA rcv'd 10/18/2010
Bio appt. letter rcv'd 11/03/2010
Bio appt. 11/26/2010
Interview letter rcv'd 12/08/2010
Interview appt. 01/11/2011
Email EAD/AP approved 12/14/2010
EAD card arrival 12/20/2010
Re-scheduled Interview 03/01/2011
APPROVED !!!!!!!! 03/01/2011
Green Card ARRIVED !!! 03/11/2011
I-751 R.O.C. sent on 12/05/2012
I-751 packet delivered by USPS to CSC 12/06/2012
check cashed 12/10/2012
Rcv'd NOA 12/10/2012 ... dated 12/06/2012
12/17/2012 Bio letter rcv'd ... Bio appt. 01/02/2013
Biometrics completed 01/02/2013

APPROVED 05/24/2013

Letter rcv'd 06/01/2013

Card arrived 06/20/2013

Yes, there is more than meets the eye that occurs after the interview.

We were approved on December 15th 2009 and told to return a week later to pick up the visa and passport. When we returned we received a 221g to resubmit fingerprints (it was nothing of our doing, we later found out that when they sent the fingerprints to the US to be checked they were not readable).

So we ended up waiting two more weeks. Then after returning to the consulate and being told that the visa was printed, we had to wait another week for them to assemble the package.

Finally - almost a month later we were able to pick up the visa.

So there can be delays even after you get approved :blink:

It varies from consulate to consulate how long it takes. Some still do it in a few days, some take a week, and some have mandatory AP for weeks.

CRAZY :wacko:

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Timeline

They still have to process the paperwork, print the visa, and affix it to the passport. Once you see what the visa looks like, you'll understand why it takes a little time. If they were dealing with a small number of visas per day then yeah it might only be an hour or so. But they do a lot of volume every day. It's actually pretty impressive that they turn it around as quickly as they do.

I disagree. Sure, the visa looks nice and it has quite a bit of security built into it. But either they have the technology set up and the capability to make the visas or they don't. We're essentially talking about printing stickers. All of the security is either incorporated into the blank sticker before it gets printed, or is printed on in the process.

I suppose if they are printing the stickers somewhere else, I could understand that there is a day of turnaround. But I would be surprised if that were the case since that would mean that the technology to print official US documents is located outside of the embassy and thus on foreign soil.

In terms of paperwork and volume, I think you're exaggerating. We're talking about a couple dozen a day. Affixing them to the passports is also not a matter of more than a couple hours for all 12.

But, if the visa process was evaluated in terms of reasonable customer service and a consideration of what is actually being done, it would take about 3 weeks, tops. It takes time because you can't go anywhere else and they don't really care if it inconveniences you.

Timeline

So you are saying the printing of the sticker is done in the US and sent along with the package over to the embassy and then they affix it to the passport.. so whats with all the extra stuff? I am guessing they run a criminal check .. thats why they need the finger prints and they have the police records. Shouldnt take them long right? Unless I am missing something else.

15-Dec-2009 I-129F Sent

17-Dec-2009 NOA-1

18-Mar-2010 NOA-2

23-Mar-2010 NVC Received

15-June-2010 Interview

Filed: Timeline

So you are saying the printing of the sticker is done in the US and sent along with the package over to the embassy and then they affix it to the passport.. so whats with all the extra stuff? I am guessing they run a criminal check .. thats why they need the finger prints and they have the police records. Shouldnt take them long right? Unless I am missing something else.

No, the printing is done locally.

All kinds of variables are going to affect this process: staffing levels, bureaucratic process (who has to sign off on what), distribution of workload, etc. I get the impression that Moscow is one of the fastest, but even if they have it ready in a couple hours, they'd be wasting a lot of time handing them out. To me, from a resource management perspective, it just makes more sense for them to mail them out.

I disagree. Sure, the visa looks nice and it has quite a bit of security built into it. But either they have the technology set up and the capability to make the visas or they don't. We're essentially talking about printing stickers. All of the security is either incorporated into the blank sticker before it gets printed, or is printed on in the process.

I suppose if they are printing the stickers somewhere else, I could understand that there is a day of turnaround. But I would be surprised if that were the case since that would mean that the technology to print official US documents is located outside of the embassy and thus on foreign soil.

In terms of paperwork and volume, I think you're exaggerating. We're talking about a couple dozen a day. Affixing them to the passports is also not a matter of more than a couple hours for all 12.

But, if the visa process was evaluated in terms of reasonable customer service and a consideration of what is actually being done, it would take about 3 weeks, tops. It takes time because you can't go anywhere else and they don't really care if it inconveniences you.

Its not just K-1s or IR/CR immigrant visas that are being issued and printed...non-immigrant visas are a printed "sticker" as well. I don't think Mox was exaggerating volume either. According to the DOS FY09 annual report, Moscow issued 115,807 non-immigrant and 3,883 immigrant visas during that time. Add those two numbers up...divide by roughly 250 work-days, and you get 478...a touch more than a 'couple of dozen'. ;)

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

The interviewing CO has to finish their paperwork, after you leave and submit that. Then they have to take the passport photo you provided at the interview and get that scanned in or whatever and affixed to the visa document and then print that document.

They do not have tons of clerks working down in the subterranean bowels and therefore are a few days behind the interviews.

After waiting for months, you can wait a few more days.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

After waiting for months, you can wait a few more days.

Yeah definitely!

15-Dec-2009 I-129F Sent

17-Dec-2009 NOA-1

18-Mar-2010 NOA-2

23-Mar-2010 NVC Received

15-June-2010 Interview

Timeline

2 weeks may be a sort of going standard for any embassy to print/affix any visa.

Every time I get a visa from the Russian embassy here, it takes them about a week and a half to 2 weeks before I can go get my passport.

I would be interested to hear from anyone else if the two weeks is an approximate time for them to affix and send out a K1 visa after successful interview. I was hoping that we could get the visa in hand within a week after interview..

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Moscow, Russia

I-129F Sent : 2009-11-20

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-11-23

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-02-09

NVC Received : 2010-02-16

NVC Left : 2010-02-19

Consulate Received : 2010-02-25

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2010-04-28

Interview Result : Approved 2010-04-28

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received : 2010-05-05

US Entry : 2010-05-07

Marriage :

Comments :

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.