Pinocchio Liberal

This poooor woman!

49 posts in this topic

There are non-contractual options out there. People don't ilke them though. People like the contracts because they usually get something 'free' out of the deal. Eliminate this need for free #######, then you could solve ALOT of problems. I don't necessarily see that happening though.

That's why I use MetroPCS here. There's no term contract. I get whatever phone I pretty much want, and the rate is flat. All fees/taxes included in the rate. It's simple $60 a month and I get EVERY feature that a phone plan could possibly offer. -- Now granted only a few major cities have MetroPCS, but it works out great if you're in an area that has it...

Yeah, I wish MetroPCS worked here. I would also like a reasonable pay per use service here but everything is either minutes oriented, unlimited and usually in a contract.

Nevertheless, what MetroPCS is doing should be mandated for all telcos. Actually, even for store and shelf prices, as it is in most other industrialized economies.

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

She says she is First Nation. She has no shame, though. She should be responsible, like a First Nation. She has not learned that so I say she is generic First Nation.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, I wish MetroPCS worked here. I would also like a reasonable pay per use service here but everything is either minutes oriented, unlimited and usually in a contract.

Nevertheless, what MetroPCS is doing should be mandated for all telcos. Actually, even for store and shelf prices, as it is in most other industrialized economies.

I disagree. Not because it sounds nice, but because it should always be transparent what the Telco company is charging versus what the federal, state, and local taxes/fees are.

If a Telco company wants to sell a plan for $40 as their price, then that's their perogative. It's not their fault that they have to throw an extra $10 in fees on top of that.

Sure it might be just as easy to say $50 flat fee, but I like the idea of the transparency more when it comes down to it all.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Heck, I had over 30 high speed providers to choose from in AUS. Cable is now up to 100mb there, with ADSL being 24 mb and a national Fiber network currently being rolled out. The federal government has decided to build their own wholesale Fiber-to-the-home network, considering it is deemed to be as important as their roads and electricity supply. Here will still allow these monopolies to decide what is best for America (aka their profits) and call it capitalism.

Funny how you compare Autralia's internet access to the U.S. Austalia is right up there with China and other 3rd-world countries as far as internet access is concerned. If my government mandated internet censorship & required Google to remove selected sites from search results (among other things), I wouldn't brag to others about how great our infrastructure was. Australia may have "fast" local speeds, but

1. What % of that bandwidth is available for international content?
  2. It's not so great when the government tells you what you can and can't access

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

I disagree. Not because it sounds nice, but because it should always be transparent what the Telco company is charging versus what the federal, state, and local taxes/fees are.

If a Telco company wants to sell a plan for $40 as their price, then that's their perogative. It's not their fault that they have to throw an extra $10 in fees on top of that.

Sure it might be just as easy to say $50 flat fee, but I like the idea of the transparency more when it comes down to it all.

There is zero logical or rationale in allowing companies to charge x amount, yet still be able to add y in hidden fees. Perhaps, VJ should be able to hide in the T&C a fee that can be charged per post.

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama

Timeline

There is zero logical or rationale in allowing companies to charge x amount, yet still be able to add y in hidden fees. Perhaps, VJ should be able to hide in the T&C a fee that can be charged per post.

Those fees aren't 'hidden'

The +taxes & regulatory fees is always posted with the pricing...

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Funny how you compare Autralia's internet access to the U.S. Austalia is right up there with China and other 3rd-world countries as far as internet access is concerned. If my government mandated internet censorship & required Google to remove selected sites from search results (among other things), I wouldn't brag to others about how great our infrastructure was. Australia may have "fast" local speeds, but

1. What % of that bandwidth is available for international content?
  2. It's not so great when the government tells you what you can and can't access

Trying to compare two totally different forms of restrictions is laughable. China's restrictions are nothing like that of Australia's. The AUS government is simply mandating that things already illegal to access or propagate within a society also be illegal on the net. Unlike China, freedom of speech is not one of these. Dude, no offense but no other industrialized country wants US style freedom. None, Zilch, Nada actually.

A large percentage of bandwidth is available for international access. How do I know this? Heck I worked on such systems.

Edited by Ali G.

Those fees aren't 'hidden'

The +taxes & regulatory fees is always posted with the pricing...

No they are not. I can look at anyone of the large telcos and their pricing does not include or illustrate any actual amount. It simply states that they are extra.

Edited by Ali G.

Timeline

Trying to compare two totally different forms of restrictions is laughable. China's restrictions are nothing like that of Australia's. The AUS government is simply mandating that things already illegal to access or propagate within a society also be illegal on the net. Unlike China, freedom of speech is not one of these. Dude, no offense but no other industrialized country wants US style freedom. None, Zilch, Nada actually.

A large percentage of bandwidth is available for international access. How do I know this? Heck I worked on such systems.

Sorry "dude" but we are not talking about different forms of restrictions. China is filtering content it deems objectionable and that is exactly what Australia is doing. You obviously don't know anything about filtering software. If you did, you would realize that such heavy-handed policies are going to mean that people will not be able to see a lot of legitimate content.

Timeline

No they are not. I can look at anyone of the large telcos and their pricing does not include or illustrate any actual amount. It simply states that they are extra.

and that's because those fees actually do fluctuate from time to time.

I've literally had telecommunication bills go DOWN because the government fees upon them have become less.

It works both ways and in most circumstances the companies are quite fair.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Sorry "dude" but we are not talking about different forms of restrictions. China is filtering content it deems objectionable and that is exactly what Australia is doing. You obviously don't know anything about filtering software. If you did, you would realize that such heavy-handed policies are going to mean that people will not be able to see a lot of legitimate content.

Yes, you know better than myself who is a native of the country and has worked extensively in telecoms.

Don't BS and falsely claim Australia is filtering free speech. What they are filtering is things like access to minors being abused or to graphic material that is already banned in AUS. It's insane to think that the net should be able to self regulate itself. Particularly, when there are so many different rules and laws around the world. We don't have this paranoia that a big bad government is out to get us there or of an Orwellian 1984. Thus their huge success and super high quality of life.

and that's because those fees actually do fluctuate from time to time.

I've literally had telecommunication bills go DOWN because the government fees upon them have become less.

It works both ways and in most circumstances the companies are quite fair.

Actually, it's about honest business practices like ensuring the sticker price is the final price. As a result, it allows consumers to decide what is the best deal for them rather than be tricked. Hence, its extensive use in pretty much most other industrialized countries - excluding the US of course.

Timeline

Actually, it's about honest business practices like ensuring the sticker price is the final price. As a result, it allows consumers to decide what is the best deal for them rather than be tricked. Hence, its extensive use in pretty much most other industrialized countries - excluding the US of course.

Sorry, I don't fall in line with the stupid class of people who get 'tricked.' If they get 'tricked' - #### em.

Though there's no trickery when it comes to this sort of thing. It's all pretty clear and you ultimately have the choice to buy that product or sign that contract.

It's just like those idiots who jumped on board the ARMs and got screwed over. They didn't think for themselves and thought the price was pretty, but when rates went up, they couldn't handle what they got themselves into.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Timeline

Yes, you know better than myself who is a native of the country and has worked extensively in telecoms.

Don't BS and falsely claim Australia is filtering free speech. What they are filtering is things like access to minors being abused or to graphic material that is already banned in AUS. It's insane to think that the net should be able to self regulate itself. Particularly, when there are so many different rules and laws around the world. We don't have this paranoia that a big bad government is out to get us there or of an Orwellian 1984. Thus their huge success and super high quality of life.

Being a native of Australia w/ experience in telecoms means you understand internet filtering software? If you say so.

You still don't get it. I'm not saying they are filtering free speech on purpose, I'm saying filtering free speech is inevitable given their stance on internet censorship. By trying to protect everyone from everything objectionable out there you run into a couple problems:

1. You have to define objectionable. Who does that? Don't talk about laws. Someone has to interpret the laws.
  2. Automated filtering software will inevitably filter out legitimate content. It will be flagged as offensive, and then what? What beurocratcic nightmare is in place to handle content that needs to be un-red flagged?

Yep, sounds like a dream come true. Sign me up dude!

Sorry, I don't fall in line with the stupid class of people who get 'tricked.' If they get 'tricked' - #### em.

Though there's no trickery when it comes to this sort of thing. It's all pretty clear and you ultimately have the choice to buy that product or sign that contract.

It's just like those idiots who jumped on board the ARMs and got screwed over. They didn't think for themselves and thought the price was pretty, but when rates went up, they couldn't handle what they got themselves into.

Yeah, ARMS and such shenanigans would not be permitted, by federal law, in AUS. Hence why their economy is steaming ahead in this 'global recession'. Actually, all of their banks are still delivering sound profits. Safe to say that (yet again) it's a plus one for government regulation and a minus one for the zero government Libertarianism approach.

I like your reasoning Paul as it falls in line with second and third world countries. Unfortunately, it does little to promote your argument of Texas being the 'intelligent' state. Each to their own jungle rules is a primitive mentality, hence its use by the uncivilized cavemen.