JohnSmith2007

66% Say America Is Overtaxed

52 posts in this topic

Timeline

People migrate to where the jobs are. The population growth in DFW (especially Fort Worth..) in the past decade has been staggering and almost absurd.

I'm honestly sick of the influx of people to be honest though. Too many people ignorant to why Texas flourished when the rest of the nation wasn't so much....

I agree. It is disheartening to see so many people come to live in Texas sometimes as it starts straining the services we have already. Texas is big and can spread out but most companies are coming into the cities that are already big. Even the small city I live in south of Houston is now too big for me. It was and still is a great life here but sadly others have found out about it. The city politicians trumpet the fact but I am other longtimers grumble. Have to say though that my wifes business is going gangbusters and expect the next couple I have planned to do so too. It is all about balance I suppose.

Texas actually has way more than an agricultural export or petrochemical. The electronics industry is huge as many other industries that are here and/or moving here. Texas learned years ago when the big crunch happened years ago that it needed to diversify and they have done a great job doing so. Lots of great places and things to do here or are nearby. The weather is pretty nice year round. Taxes are low overall. Many jobs to be had. Money is good. Cost of living is lower. Just an overall quality of life here compared to other places. (Been all over the country and lived many places and always come back home.)No people are more friendly to friends and strangers alike.

Just an overall quality of life here compared to other places. (Been all over the country and lived many places and always come back home.)

Horses for courses

No people are more friendly to friends and strangers alike.

Now that I have to agree with. I know of a lot of people that find Texans friendly.

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama

Timeline

That's ok. You keep enjoying the higher tax rates, higher cost of living, etc. out there in California that has nothing better to offer in return than Texas does. The only thing I can give you are the Pacific beaches.. Beyond that, nada.

I personally liked the Atlantic and western Florida Gulf beaches more myself. The Texas beaches are a joke but we do have a lot of hot babes that go to them. Padre island is way superior as a beach than the west coast.

Timeline

A lot of things go into where people choose to live, jobs is only a single factor and it holds different weight to diffrent people. If you want to be with the best in the finance world, New York is the place to be. For internet companies, its all about San Francisco.

Are these companies going to migrate to Texas solely on lower taxes? Probably not, talent is important, and its valuable to be where the talent is.

What kinds of companies might move to Texas? Companies like manufacturing where training can be done on the job.

Funny. Last year a friend of my wifes family came down to visit. They have been in California for many years. He has a computer company coming up with new programs or something. I showed them around but told him to check into Austin as there were already many electronic companies there or even the Dallas-Fort Worth area as there were already many electronic manufacturing places in place there. I heard recently that he is planning on coming back and was probably settling on the Houston area for some reason.

He'll be appearing in his own show - The Booyah Hills.

That would probably be worth watching ;)

I was sent a parody clip of the Hills,

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Funny. Last year a friend of my wifes family came down to visit. They have been in California for many years. He has a computer company coming up with new programs or something. I showed them around but told him to check into Austin as there were already many electronic companies there or even the Dallas-Fort Worth area as there were already many electronic manufacturing places in place there. I heard recently that he is planning on coming back and was probably settling on the Houston area for some reason.

Austin = San Francisco of Texas

But software development and electronics manufacturing are pretty different industries. The only reason a software development company might want to be located near electronics manufactures is if they were writing software for the devices or used specifically by the manufacturers.

keTiiDCjGVo

Timeline

Austin = San Francisco of Texas

But software development and electronics manufacturing are pretty different industries. The only reason a software development company might want to be located near electronics manufactures is if they were writing software for the devices or used specifically by the manufacturers.

I know that. One can pretty much do the development anywhere and ship the data to the manufacturers. Not sure why or what he and his partners wanted to come to Texas really. Just told him that there are many places in Austin and the Dallas and Ft. Worth area. Showed him around the area here and now heard a couple of weeks ago they were going to move everything here. It is not like he has to live right next to the place but maybe he also has need for manufacturing. If that is so then Texas is an excellent choice. Then again maybe they just wanted to move here for other reasons. Many do so. Dallas area has so many electronic manufacturing plants now it is almost funny.