Chriz

I-693 Medical

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Is the I-693 medical mandatory for the AOS? I'm here on a K1 fiance visa status and my I-94 will expire in about 25 days. Is that enough time? I'm already married and everything, I just need to apply for the AOS. And if it is in fact mandatory to file for AOS, any idea of how much will it cost?

thx ahead guys.

The filing fee for AOS is $1010

Yes the I-693 is mandatory, but that does not mean you need to have another medical. Download the I-693 and complete Part 1 (do not sign the form).

Look up a Civil Surgeon in your area on the USCIS website. Take your DS-3025 and have the civil surgeon "translate" the vaccination record to the I-693. No medical exam is required if the exam for the K-1 was done within the past year.

As a minimum you will file the I-485, I-693, I-864 and include the G325a. There are some additional optional (recommended) forms you may also include with this.

Please go to the guide section and read the Adjustment of Status guide (K-1 visa holders)

Technically, you do not have to apply by the end of the 90 days but it is recommeneded that you do it as soon as possible. We are going to run over a little becauase my wife still needs a few more vaccinations to meet the requirements (she never had any before and only got the one she needed to meet the requirements to come to the US).

Best Wishes!

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

<br />Hey guys,<br />Is the I-693 medical mandatory for the AOS? I'm here on a K1 fiance visa status and my I-94 will expire in about 25 days. Is that enough time? I'm already married and everything, I just need to apply for the AOS. And if it is in fact mandatory to file for AOS, any idea of how much will it cost?<br />thx ahead guys.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

It seems that it has because necessary to go to a designated civil surgeon and get portions of the I-693 filled out. It is basically to ensure that your vaccinations record is up to date. Tell the civil surgeon that you want a vaccination transcription not a full medical examination. You should do this as soon as you can. However you do not have to file your AOS before your I94 expires;however it is recommended. If you do not file AOS, you will not be able to maintain a job, get a drivers license, and etc. You would essentially be "out of status" .... legally here, but out of status. So it is totally up to you. AOS cost 1010 USD. This cost includes an application for employment authorization and travel documents. Read the guides to fiqure out how to go about this. You can also go the uscis.gov website to research some more.

There has been a long discuss about whether you have to file to adjust your status. If you do a search on this site, you should be able to find it. Maybe others will be able to chime in about this subject. What would be the reason why you would not want to AOS?

01.09.10 Married

02.01.10 - AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago! (day 1)

02.02.10 - Delivered to Chicago per USPS delivery confirmation/signature @ 11:30a

02.10.10 - Check cashed (day 9)

02.12.10 - Recieved NOA in the mail for AOS, EAD, AP (dated 2/8/10: Day 1)

02.16.10- Biometrics appointment for 3.4.10 (dated 2.11.10)

02.18.10 - Early biometrics! walk-in (day 10)

02.22.10 - RFE for Medical (dated 2.18.10)

02.23.10 - Infopass (not helpful)

02.26.10 - Sent reply to RFE for I 693 to Lee's Summit and sent letter to senator (day 18)

03.01.10 - Delivery confirmation for RFE by Lee's summit and senator

03.04.10 - Status update: Case has resumed; letter from senator stating case is with adjunctor(day 24 )

03.08.10 - AOS application transferred to CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER... No updates on EAD or AP (day 28)

03.13.10 - touch on 485/ 3.15.10 - touch on 485/ 3.16.10 - touch on 485/ 3.17.10 - touch on 485!!! (day 37)

03.29.10 - Day 49 from notice date of NOA.... day 58 from filing

04.06.10 - AP approved and EAD card production ordered!!! (Day 56)

04.08.10 - touch on AP...... 04.09.10- touch on EAD (second card production notice) and AOS

04.10.10 - AP arrived in the mail

04.13.10 - EAD approval notice online and card in the mail

07.10.10 - A TOUCH!!! (on AOS)

08.06.10 - Another touch

08.17.10- AOS approved!

To add to the previous posts - as long as you can show your medical you had for the K-1 is still valid (within a year of it) - you will not need a new one.

(unless someone loses it along the line - always good to make/get backups).

YES - it is mandatory you file for the AOS, if she intends on staying in the US legally.

Once your benificiary's I-94 expires, she is "out of status" and acquiring "unlawful status" days, which, if she goes over 180+ days, would incur a ban if she leaves and attempts to re-enter the US.

Even with an approved AP. She is also open to issues with ICE, once she goes "out of status".

Some suggest you can "wait" to file, I am not one of those people, the rules/regulations for the I-94 control this, not the K-1 visa.

Protect your status at all costs.

Also - as I pointed out - go past a year on the K-1 medical, and you would need a new one for the AOS = added cost.

Plus, she can't start counting days for USC till she is an LPR, nor can she work till she has the EAD/GC.

Source for I-94 info

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Hey guys,

Is the I-693 medical mandatory for the AOS? I'm here on a K1 fiance visa status and my I-94 will expire in about 25 days. Is that enough time? I'm already married and everything, I just need to apply for the AOS. And if it is in fact mandatory to file for AOS, any idea of how much will it cost?

thx ahead guys.

I would recommend that you get the vaccines transcribed from the DS3025 even if they were all already complete at the time. Some filers lately have gotten a Request For Evidence which specifically asked for the vaccination supplement. Some VJ members have gotten away with just sending the DS3025 - but ONLY if all vaccinations were complete and recorded as complete on that form. I haven't been keeping track if that work around is still functional - we did the I693.

If all of your other documentation is together, you should be able to see a Civil Surgeon within a week or so (some even do same-day!). 25 days should be more than enough time if you don't procrastinate too long! :) There's a thread in the AOS forum that I started to try to gather together all of the Civil Surgeons who will do the transcription for a reasonable fee (Civil Surgeons who DON'T rip you off). More recent updates will be found later in the thread. $50 is a lot for a transcription. $10-$20 is more reasonable. If you haven't gotten caught up on your vaccines, then you might want to get them done before going to see the CS, as they tend to over-charge.

I think the wording was a bit confusing, I thought you were just asking if the I-693 was mandatory for filing for AOS. If you were also asking if filing for AOS at all was mandatory, then +1 from me for Bobby+Umit's comments.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

thx for ur replies guys, but yea i was asking if the I-693 was mandatory to file for AOS to clear things up.

As far as DS-3025 goes, I don't have that. I was asked to get a medical before I came to the states and then delivered the sealed envelope with the results to the officer at the airport when I arrived to the states, so I have no idea how i can obtain that.

So knowing that I don't need another medical coz Ive already had one before coming, I just need to have the vaccinations thing done? Can I just go to the civil surgeon without a DS-3025 form because I don't have that?

Thanks guys. Ur seriously being really helpful.

Edited by Chriz

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

thx for ur replies guys, but yea i was asking if the I-693 was mandatory to file for AOS to clear things up.

As far as DS-3025 goes, I don't have that. I was asked to get a medical before I came to the states and then delivered the sealed envelope with the results to the officer at the airport when I arrived to the states, so I have no idea how i can obtain that.

So knowing that I don't need another medical coz Ive already had one before coming, I just need to have the vaccinations thing done? Can I just go to the civil surgeon without a DS-3025 form because I don't have that?

Thanks guys. Ur seriously being really helpful.

Do you have a photocopy of DS-3025-vaccination sheet? You should bring it to CS and transcribe to I-693. No need to do another medical but only to complete vaccination.

Good Luck

no i dont have a DS-3025, it wasnt even required, thats why im askin if I can go to the civil surgeon without having that, and complete the I-693 even if i dont have that?

They can complete the vaccination transcription from your own vaccination records.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

No record of vacination?? :unsure: If not you may want to go to local department of health and have all immunizations done. Then go to civil surgeon to have transcibed to I-693.

I-751 Vermont
Mailed 4/03/2012
Check Cashed 4/10/2012
Noa1 4/12/2012 receipt date 4/6/2012
Biometrics 4/19/2012 letter recieved
Biometrics 5/01/2012 done
Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic toc..................................................

5/10/2013 Info pass for another year stamp

Tic Toc, Tic Toc.....................................

Second biometrics letter received 7/6/2013

Tic toc tic toc..........................................................................................

4/10/14 info pass for another year

Tic Toc, Tic toc

3/30/2015 info pass for another year stamp

9/10/2015 Notice for I-751 interview 9/22/2015 Our gov is so efficient just gotta love em in charge of health care!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

If you can take risk, you just simply go to complete your vaccination and have them signed and send a copy of it to USCIS along with your AOS packages.

Good Luck on your AOS journey!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.