10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hello everyone! I have a few questions for now, and I am hoping for some help from all the VJers.

We already have our marriage license and wedding will be on April 19, 2010.

First question is:

1. Which is best to do: to apply for SSN prior to wedding? or apply after wedding? or apply after I got my EAD?

Second question is:

2. Husband-to-be already filed for his tax this year. Can he send ammendments for his taxes for this year after we got married? If he can, will it be advantageous for us? What benefits or advantages will it give us?

Third question is:

3. I am expecting for my NLCEX-RN for Texas eligibility sometime this April. I applied for my CES and NCLEX while I was still in the Philippines. Can I take the NCLEX here in the US with no problem at all, even if I am still on AOS?

Thanks alot for spending time reading my post. Your replies would be much appreciated. Godbless.

Timeline

hello everyone! I have a few questions for now, and I am hoping for some help from all the VJers.

First question is:

1. Which is best to do: to apply for SSN prior to wedding? or apply after wedding? or apply after I got my EAD?

Second question is:

2. Husband-to-be already filed for his tax this year. Can he send ammendments for his taxes for this year after we got married? If he can, will it be advantageous for us? What benefits or advantages will it give us?

Third question is:

3. I am expecting for my NLCEX-RN for Texas eligibility sometime this April. I applied for my CES and NCLEX while I was still in the Philippines. Can I take the NCLEX here in the US with no problem at all, even if I am still on AOS?

Thanks alot for spending time reading my post. Your replies would be much appreciated. Godbless.

1. I always recommend getting a SSN (in maiden name) soon after arrival to the USA. Makes things so much easier for taxes, Driver license/I.D cards, working ETC. It is FREE, FAST and in my opinion (worthless like my 401K) the easiest part of the process. After wedding it is easy to just get name changed to married name. The window for getting a SSN for you may be over, the SSN people won't give you a card if your I-94 is close to expiration. Best to check now.

2. I am not a tax expert but if you are married after april 15, you will have to wait until next year to file as married. No credit this year.

3. Sorry can't help you on this one.

Best wishes

Yes you can apply to take the NCLEX here while you are in the process of AOS.... and take the exam. As long as you meet the eligibility requirements you should be fine. http://www.pearsonvue.com/nclex/

01.09.10 Married

02.01.10 - AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago! (day 1)

02.02.10 - Delivered to Chicago per USPS delivery confirmation/signature @ 11:30a

02.10.10 - Check cashed (day 9)

02.12.10 - Recieved NOA in the mail for AOS, EAD, AP (dated 2/8/10: Day 1)

02.16.10- Biometrics appointment for 3.4.10 (dated 2.11.10)

02.18.10 - Early biometrics! walk-in (day 10)

02.22.10 - RFE for Medical (dated 2.18.10)

02.23.10 - Infopass (not helpful)

02.26.10 - Sent reply to RFE for I 693 to Lee's Summit and sent letter to senator (day 18)

03.01.10 - Delivery confirmation for RFE by Lee's summit and senator

03.04.10 - Status update: Case has resumed; letter from senator stating case is with adjunctor(day 24 )

03.08.10 - AOS application transferred to CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER... No updates on EAD or AP (day 28)

03.13.10 - touch on 485/ 3.15.10 - touch on 485/ 3.16.10 - touch on 485/ 3.17.10 - touch on 485!!! (day 37)

03.29.10 - Day 49 from notice date of NOA.... day 58 from filing

04.06.10 - AP approved and EAD card production ordered!!! (Day 56)

04.08.10 - touch on AP...... 04.09.10- touch on EAD (second card production notice) and AOS

04.10.10 - AP arrived in the mail

04.13.10 - EAD approval notice online and card in the mail

07.10.10 - A TOUCH!!! (on AOS)

08.06.10 - Another touch

08.17.10- AOS approved!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

First question is:

Second question is:

His filing was for the year 2009. He was not married in 2009 and is only getting married in 2010. His 2009 return is not affected by his 2010 marriage. He can claim being married when he files for his 2010 tax year in 2011.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

First question is:

You should apply SSN for priority. It is smoother you have to do anything here like bank account, DL, work, taxes and so on. You have enough window to applying SSN so apply it quickly as you can. You should better have 2 months window at least for SSN processing.

Timeline

Thanks to all for the reply...

My 1-94 expires in June, so we have decided to get SSN after the marriage. I have one question again....

We are planning to start the AOS right after we get married... Considering the cost for AOS, am thinking that we won't buy wedding rings for now, and save that for our church wedding in the philippines....

Do you think this is a good idea? Are there couples who have tried this?

Thank you and take care everyone.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Wedding rings are not necessary to prove marriage in the AOS process, if that's what you mean. Yet when you are interviewed, if you are, it's good to wear some kind of rings, even cheap ones, just for appearances.

1. I always recommend getting a SSN (in maiden name) soon after arrival to the USA. Makes things so much easier for taxes, Driver license/I.D cards, working ETC. It is FREE, FAST and in my opinion (worthless like my 401K) the easiest part of the process. After wedding it is easy to just get name changed to married name. The window for getting a SSN for you may be over, the SSN people won't give you a card if your I-94 is close to expiration. Best to check now.

2. I am not a tax expert but if you are married after april 15, you will have to wait until next year to file as married. No credit this year.

3. Sorry can't help you on this one.

Best wishes

Case story:

She arrived Dec.29 and we married Dec. 31, no time to get the SSN but when she applied the next week the SSA conveniently

forgot her application was ever filed after 3 months! Best advice is to get the SSN BEFORE getting married; if you wait until

after marriage they will want to see the EAD or AOS document first. I know it doesn't make sense but those are the rules.

We had to obtain a "denial letter" after the fact so we can file taxes jointly with a "tax ID number" in place of the SSN.

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Timeline

Thanks to all for the reply...

My 1-94 expires in June, so we have decided to get SSN after the marriage. I have one question again....

We are planning to start the AOS right after we get married... Considering the cost for AOS, am thinking that we won't buy wedding rings for now, and save that for our church wedding in the philippines....

Do you think this is a good idea? Are there couples who have tried this?

Thank you and take care everyone.

I understand that the cost of AOS is quite a blow. We got married last month and intend to do the filing of AOS before this month ends. There are three of us ( my son, daughter and I ) to file AOS and of course the fee also means three times.I know that as Filipina, you really wish your wedding be something special with your family and friends to attend, thats why you still love to have a church wedding in the Phils. We got married here. It was nice and simple with a touch of the filipino tradition, but I tell you, while preparing for it, there were times, I really wished that we're getting married in the Phils hahaha!

Anyway,I dont think the wedding rings are necessary.In my opinion, those rings are only used during ceremonial rites. Do whatever you think you can in order to save. In my case, I had my gown and our wedding rings made in the Phils before we left. I made the bouquets and all decorations for the wedding. We saved big time! Remember to enroll in a refresher course is also expensive and the cost of other trainings that they required us to have.

By the way, I applied for SSN after the wedding and I already received my card. Next week, will apply for driver's license.

Best wishes!

Please visit our website and make a difference in the lives of the children.www.gracegeneralsantos.org

Timeline

To George and Movi:

Congratulations on your wedding!

Thanks for your wonderful reply. And yeah you're right, it is always a girl's dream to have her wedding be attended by her family and friends. My fiance and I have already agreed to have that happened next year.

For now, we are trying to save to file the AOS as soon as possible. And yes, the refresher course is even more expensive than the AOS. (huhuhu).... I could see you're in Texas too. Are you going to take refresher course too? Where do you plan to enrol? Or you already had one? I am planning to go to Memorial Hermann...1000$ fee excluding books, uniform and materials to be used.

BTW, we already applied for my SSN and will probably have it in the mail this week. Thanks to VJ'ers for the quick suggestions.

have a great day! Godbless.

Thank you,

--SoPinay:)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.