Terca

Can an 85 year old male with Hepatitis B obtain an immigrant visa?

8 posts in this topic

Hello friends,

Can an 85 year old male with Hepatitis B obtain an immigrant visa?

The sponsor makes lots of money so they can prove that this gentleman will not be a public charge. But what about the communicable disease section of the law? I have been doing research and this is what I found:

Section 212(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act reads:

(a) Classes of Aliens Ineligible for Visas or Admission.-Except as otherwise provided in this Act, aliens who are inadmissible under the following paragraphs are ineligible to receive visas and ineligible to be admitted to the United States:

(1) Health-related grounds.-

(A) In general.-Any alien-

(i) who is determined (in accordance with regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Health and Human Services) to have a communicable disease of public health significance, which shall include infection with the etiologic agent for acquired immune deficiency syndrome,

I wanted a goverment site where they explicitly say "a person with HEPATITIS B cannot get an immigrant visa to usa" and found none. However, I did find this info on the hochiminh us consulate page

13. I have Hepatitis B. Can I be granted an immigrant visa?

Hepatitis B is not a medical condition that will make the beneficiary ineligible for a visa on health related grounds. However, all visa applicants are required to show that they will not become a public charge in the U.S. if they receive a visa. http://hochiminh.usconsulate.gov/iv/faqs.html

What do you guys think?

wuha.jpgdU2lm5.png

N400 Mailed: 12/09/2016

Priority Date: 12/13/2016

Biometrics Appmt: 01/13/17

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Is this related to bringing a parent to the US or a spouse petition? The answer will help to have this thread placed in the proper forum?

There could be a requirement that the alien have a health insurance poilcy. I have seen that mentioned in other threads where older immigrants are concerned.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

ohh thank you lemme correct and add that info.

sorry i could not edit my original post.

The 85 year old with Hepatatis will be seeking a visa as the Parent of a us Citizen, I should have posted on the family members forum, I'm so used to posting in this one that I forgot :blush:

Edited by Terca

wuha.jpgdU2lm5.png

N400 Mailed: 12/09/2016

Priority Date: 12/13/2016

Biometrics Appmt: 01/13/17

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

-Moved from IR1/CR1 forum to Bringing Family Members of US Citizens forum-

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How would you get Health Insurance, with or without that condition?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

As long as the petitioner meets the minimum financial requirements there isn't any problem.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

As long as the petitioner meets the minimum financial requirements there isn't any problem.

I have seen where the petitioner is required to show evidence of plans of continued treatment in the US when they get here.

Edited by Dakine

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks for your input guys!

If they do request evidence to show plans for treatment in future it can be provided, as long as is not an outright denial :) (<-- on behalf of OP, no internet)

Married: 6/5/2009

I-130 Sent: 11/6/2009

NOA1:11/13/2009 (CSC)

NOA2:02/12/2010 (3 months from NOA1)

NVC received:02/23/2010

Received DS-3032/I-864 Bill:02/23/2010

received IV bill:03/30/2010

Interview date:JULY 2, 2010 (consul said my husband was approved):)

Extra steps: Turns out in Juarez they do not tell you the final result of interview on the spot, you have to wait to receive a DHL package that contains the verdict and passport hopefully. Even though my husband was "approved" during interview (per consul answer) he was placed in Administrative Review on JUly 6 according to consulate operator.

Placed on AR post interview:07/06/2010

Picked up Blue slip AR (they kept his passport):7/09/2010

Visa issued: 09/15/2010

I was in AP for 2 months, 2 weeks and 2 days

Completed my journey in 10 months, 2 weeks and 2 days

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.