7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

So I know that a k-1 visa is good for 1 entry into the US for 6 months after it is issued (and then for 90 days once entered) but I was wondering if anyone knows if, after the k-1 is issued, can my fiance enter the US on a regular tourist visa and save the k-1 for later in the 6 month period? Or is it that once the k-1 is issued, the first entry into the US must result in a marriage?

I'm hoping someone can help me out with an answer. I want to be able to start the process as early as possible (our wedding is tentatively planned for May 2010) but I'm worried that if the visa gets issued earlier than I had planned he won't be able to visit until he enters the US to marry me and stay for good. Any other advice on when I should get started with this whole thing would also be greatly appreciated!

Extra Details: He lives in the UK so his visa will go through the London consulate and I live in MA so I'm assuming my side of it will be processed at the Vermont office.

Thanks for your help!

Hmm - if your wedding is tenatively planned for May 2010 you are a bit late to be getting started!

Assuming you mean May 2011, I am not positive, but for some reason by belief leans towards that once the K-1 visa is issued "when he enters, its on the K-1" scenario.

However I may be completely wrong.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

So I know that a k-1 visa is good for 1 entry into the US for 6 months after it is issued (and then for 90 days once entered) but I was wondering if anyone knows if, after the k-1 is issued, can my fiance enter the US on a regular tourist visa and save the k-1 for later in the 6 month period? Or is it that once the k-1 is issued, the first entry into the US must result in a marriage?

I'm hoping someone can help me out with an answer. I want to be able to start the process as early as possible (our wedding is tentatively planned for May 2010) but I'm worried that if the visa gets issued earlier than I had planned he won't be able to visit until he enters the US to marry me and stay for good. Any other advice on when I should get started with this whole thing would also be greatly appreciated!

Extra Details: He lives in the UK so his visa will go through the London consulate and I live in MA so I'm assuming my side of it will be processed at the Vermont office.

Thanks for your help!

Seriously, you DID mean May 2011, right? :blush:

As far as I know, this is up to the CBP officer. If you show up at the port of entry with more than one valid entry visa, the CBP officer will determine if they allow you into the US, and which visa will be the basis of your entry. Since they usually ask a question or two about the purpose of your visit, they may choose the visa based on the answer. Some members have posted that they were able to gain entry without having to use the K1 visa that was in their passport, but that's no guarantee it will work for everyone.

The safest bet would be to plan on getting married the next time he enters after he's got the K1 in his passport.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Ahhh -- sorry! You are correct in assuming I meant May of 2011! Whoops!

Based on your time-frame - and the current processing trends, I'd start the process some time in September. If processing takes 140 days (give or take), you might get approved some time in Feb. 2011 which is about 90-days before your planned wedding.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

So I know that a k-1 visa is good for 1 entry into the US for 6 months after it is issued (and then for 90 days once entered) but I was wondering if anyone knows if, after the k-1 is issued, can my fiance enter the US on a regular tourist visa and save the k-1 for later in the 6 month period? Or is it that once the k-1 is issued, the first entry into the US must result in a marriage? This one.

Thanks for your help!

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.