Olive♥

US Visa in hand-Job in home country dilema

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

A Moroccan friend of ours has finally recieved his visa to join his Moroccan wife in the USA. Wife aquired her visa several years prior via the visa lottery. They are childhood sweethearts and have been a couple for many many years in morocco (to validify their sincerity for any doubters LOL) Any ways the husband has been employed in morocco for a company for the last 12 years and his boss just told him that he can not get released from his work contract for another 3 years or he will lose his retirement benefits ($500 a month). Here is his question:

He would like to go back to morocco and stay for work to finish out the remaining 3 years of the contract, returning to spend time with his wife in the USA for a few weeks every 5-6 mos. How will this effect his visa? Will the NVC/USCIS understand this situation if he gets written documants/explainations from his boss in morocco etc. OR should he trash his 12 years of work for this company and just cut his losses???? Thanks Guys ahead of time

A Moroccan friend of ours has finally recieved his visa to join his Moroccan wife in the USA. Wife aquired her visa several years prior via the visa lottery. They are childhood sweethearts and have been a couple for many many years in morocco (to validify their sincerity for any doubters LOL) Any ways the husband has been employed in morocco for a company for the last 12 years and his boss just told him that he can not get released from his work contract for another 3 years or he will lose his retirement benefits ($500 a month). Here is his question:

He would like to go back to morocco and stay for work to finish out the remaining 3 years of the contract, returning to spend time with his wife in the USA for a few weeks every 5-6 mos. How will this effect his visa? Will the NVC/USCIS understand this situation if he gets written documants/explainations from his boss in morocco etc. OR should he trash his 12 years of work for this company and just cut his losses???? Thanks Guys ahead of time

LOT depends on his age.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Other Timeline

If I understand correctly, he has a CR-1. Once he enters the US, he will become a Green Card holder (LPR). As such, he is expected to reside in the US permanently. He simply cannot live in Morocco and visit a few weeks a year for the next 3 years. After 2 years he has to file for AOS, and that's the latest the house of cards will crumble.

Do the Immigration Officials will understand his situation? Perhaps, but they will deny his ROC anyway; they have no other choice.

At which point he has to leave the US and can work in Morocco again until he gets an IR-1 visa and start over.

I know he can delay his entry to the US for some time, but certainly not for 3 years.

Looks like he has a decision to make, a difficult one.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

If I understand correctly, he has a CR-1. Once he enters the US, he will become a Green Card holder (LPR). As such, he is expected to reside in the US permanently. He simply cannot live in Morocco and visit a few weeks a year for the next 3 years. After 2 years he has to file for AOS, and that's the latest the house of cards will crumble.

Do the Immigration Officials will understand his situation? Perhaps, but they will deny his ROC anyway; they have no other choice.

At which point he has to leave the US and can work in Morocco again until he gets an IR-1 visa and start over.

I know he can delay his entry to the US for some time, but certainly not for 3 years.

Looks like he has a decision to make, a difficult one.

Not sure why you are assuming a CR1 but it's removal of conditions, not AOS that would be applied for, if applicable. If it's an IR1 visa (far more likely than CR1 but the OP can confirm) or he enters the US after the second wedding anniversary there's a much better chance of maintaining status. For the actual requirements, simply google "maintaining permanent resident status". Frankly, there's no way to guarantee, he'll keep his status but if IR1 there's a very good chance and even if CR1, a reasonable chance.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Dakine, Can you explain further? He is 42.

If he's young he has the time to do it all again.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Other Timeline

Not sure why you are assuming a CR1 but it's removal of conditions, not AOS that would be applied for, if applicable.

I take the CR-1 status from the original post. But you are correct, it's ROC, of course, not AOS. My bad.

But seriously, you do believe that an IR-1 entering the US, becoming a LPR, can live for the following 3 years in Morocco, just visiting the US once in a while, and keep his LPR status alive? Wow!

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.