ikaruga

Social Security Card?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Honduras
Timeline

My wife came in last week with a CR-1 visa (yay!). We applied for the spouse visa and since we are newly weds, they gave her a conditional visa.

Will her social security card automatically come in the mail or do we now have to apply for it?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife came in last week with a CR-1 visa (yay!). We applied for the spouse visa and since we are newly weds, they gave her a conditional visa.

Will her social security card automatically come in the mail or do we now have to apply for it?

How did you "mark" the box on the Ds-230?

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Congratulations :dance:

If your chose Yes in 43a in the form DS-230 Part-II where it says:

Do you want the Social Security Administration to assign you a SSN and issue a card? (You must answer YES to 43b. to recieve a number and a card)

Then they will send you the SSN card automatically.

For our case, even though my wife checked Yes, we applied for it just in case.

You will recieve the SS card in about 3-4 weeks from POE. My wife recieve her SS card in 3 weeks.

Good luck :thumbs:

CR-1/NVC
November 16, 2009: Sign-in Failed!!
November 16, 2009: December interviews already scheduled. Operator told me to wait for a possible January interview date. Call back in the 2nd week of December
November 30, 2009: Been trying to call NVC but line busy since late after noon. Finally, got email appointment letter from NVC with the Interview date of January 19, 2010. Yeppe Alhamdulillah>
December 24, 2009: Medical Done and report recieved the same day.
January 11, 2010: Medical submitted at VFS. They asked for: Copy of Packet 3, Appointment letter, and Passport. They told her to take a copy of I-864 and the documents submitted with it, at the time of interview with other proof of relationship documents.
January 19, 2010: VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
January 21, 2010: Visa recieved in mail (Package included passport with visa stamped, sealed big brown envelop to be submitted at POE immigration at the airport, and instructions to apply for SS Card)

USA
February 07, 2010: POE Chicago --> Very easy, within 45 minutes
March 02, 2010: SS Card recieved in mail. Welcome letter recieved in mail as well
March 13, 2010: GC Recieved in mail

January 29, 2015: N-400 Application submitted

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations :dance:

If your chose Yes in 43a in the form DS-230 Part-II where it says:

Do you want the Social Security Administration to assign you a SSN and issue a card? (You must answer YES to 43b. to recieve a number and a card)

Then they will send you the SSN card automatically.

For our case, even though my wife checked Yes, we applied for it just in case.

You will recieve the SS card in about 3-4 weeks from POE. My wife recieve her SS card in 3 weeks.

Good luck :thumbs:

Not necessarily.

I know of many filers that checked off the box and did not receive their card (myself included.) I would suggest that if you have not received it after 3 weeks go to your local SS office and apply in person. You should receive your card within a week or two of applying. The process will be easier for you if you have your application form already filled in; bring your birth certificate and passport as well.

Good luck. :thumbs:

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf

Edited by OBX

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.