ramelton

Different receipt numbers on I-797 and Fingerprints appt. notice

7 posts in this topic

Hi forum,

We're in the situation where our joint I-751 have been pending for 15 months, including 6 months after second intedview in the local office (NYC). Now...

1. During recent SECOND Infopass appoinment I was told "your permanent file in at another location, here in NYC we only have a temporary file. Once we get your permanent file, we're going to merge your records and either make a decesion or call you for another interview. It does happen sometimes and it should take another 30-60 days". To me it sounds like BS and like they just plainly lost our paperwork and getting copies from Vermont. Anybody ever heard anything like that at the Infopass?

2. I noticed that my I-797 (extention letter) and biometrics appt. letter has two different receipts numbers. EAC from an extention letter doesn't exist online, and the one from biometrics notice does find a "removal of condition case" still pending from Nov. 2008. Meanwhile, officer at Infopass was using extention letter EAC to look up all the info. I brought it up to him, he said it's nothing to worry.

Anybody else has such desprepancy?

Appreciate all the responses!

Hi forum,

We're in the situation where our joint I-751 have been pending for 15 months, including 6 months after second intedview in the local office (NYC). Now...

1. During recent SECOND Infopass appoinment I was told "your permanent file in at another location, here in NYC we only have a temporary file. Once we get your permanent file, we're going to merge your records and either make a decesion or call you for another interview. It does happen sometimes and it should take another 30-60 days". To me it sounds like BS and like they just plainly lost our paperwork and getting copies from Vermont. Anybody ever heard anything like that at the Infopass?

2. I noticed that my I-797 (extention letter) and biometrics appt. letter has two different receipts numbers. EAC from an extention letter doesn't exist online, and the one from biometrics notice does find a "removal of condition case" still pending from Nov. 2008. Meanwhile, officer at Infopass was using extention letter EAC to look up all the info. I brought it up to him, he said it's nothing to worry.

Hi,

First of all, I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through.... it must be tough!

Now, the different receipt numbers is fine and everyone has two, and everyone's experience with checking online is exactly as yours.

However, at this point, I would do one of two things... either go ahead and file for naturalization that will force the adjudication of your I-751, or (maybe a more recommended thing to do) is contact your congressman and have him/her look into your file and ask about the delay. Most of the time, they come through and usually give your file a boost.

Hope these suggestions help.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi forum,

First, to reassure you, the two different numbers situation is perfectly normal - it is that way for everyone. The I-797 extension letter number is an internal number for use by USCIS only. That is why it brings up an invalid response when you check for it online. The case status number that is assigned to your file is the one on the biometrics ASC letter. That one should be searchable and provide you with online updates. The infopass officer should have been able to access both numbers, however, because he would be at the appropriate level of access. When I went for my infopass appointment (I never received the NOA extension letter at all but I had the number from the back of the cashed cheque), the Officer explained to me that this number was for internal use only but the biometrics number was valid for me to use. She actually used my A number, however, to look up my file before she put the I-551 stamp in my passport.

So, did you receive another extension on your greencard - you can get the I-551 stamp placed into your passport at an Infopass appointment as well. Ask them to search using your A number.

15 months at this time is excessive. A year ago things were taking about 12 to 15 months but they caught up with that backlog. I suspect you may be right and your file has got 'stuck' somewhere and is waiting for something to trigger some action on it. Applying for the N-400 would do that as you should now be eligible. N-400 processing is taking about 4 months generally and working on your naturalization file will trigger a decision on your ROC as they can't proceed with the N-400 without it.

So, if you were considering filing for citizenship now is the perfect time to do so. Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I had a similar problem with my file when I filed for AOS. I simply believe they lost my file too, one officer on the phone even kind of admitted that something was missing. At that point (I think it was around the 15 months mark as well) I contacted my congressman and had my case approved and greencard in hand within 5 weeks.

I can only recommend contacting the congressman at this point to inquire on your case.

Even if you file for naturalisation, it can't hurt to know what is going on with your I-751.

Good luck, I hope you get good news soon!

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Thanks guys, you're very helpful.

I did contact our congressman, so we'll see what happens.

Does the congressman office usually somehow acknowledge receipt of immigration inquiries?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

The way it worked for me was, I sent the initial letter to his office and he wrote back that he would contact USCIS to see what is going on with my case. Whenever I heard something or had touches or changes, I'd call his office to update him and whenever he heard from USCIS, he'd send me a letter again.

My husband had military orders to go to Germany and I really didn't want to leave the US without having my gc so time was really running out for me. The Congressman (well, one of his office workers actually) did a terrific job calling USCIS over and over and like mentioned before, I had my card in hand within 5 weeks.

On a little sidenote: I went to their office with my greencard to let them know that I got it and to thank them for their efforts. The Lady was super surprised and touched and said that usually they never hear from a client again and often don't even know what really happened and for sure that they don't get to hear "thank you" very often.

Hope it works for you.

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Thanks guys, you're very helpful.

I did contact our congressman, so we'll see what happens.

Does the congressman office usually somehow acknowledge receipt of immigration inquiries?

Glad you did that. From what others have posted, they do take some time to get back to you but they eventually do. Hopefully, you will hear some good news soon.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.